I got a problem

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Actually, I don't have a problem. I play them every chance I get. ( At least I don't think that's a problem, except when I forget to pick up my wife from work )

IMG-4995.jpg

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got a message from the guy who sold me this guitar almost exactly 5 years from today. Basically he said he wants to buy the guitar back. He also told me this long story about how this was his dream guitar and it was given to him by his dying mother many years ago. Also says he sold it because his business was failing at the time and he needed the money. The offer was $4.5k (I paid $2.9k in Feb 2017). I politely declined the offer since this guitar means a lot to me at this point. Kinda feel bad but I don't really know what else to do or say. I'm assuming the story he told me was true and have no way to verify it. Anyone else ever experience something like this?

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it will get it off the main page, sell it and buy something else meaningful. And edit the photo link with the new guitar

That was insensitive. Sorry.

integra evan

Reaction score
Did you tell him it's the most famous guitar on the internet and it has much much much more value now? As in so famous that people just can't get the image of your guitar out of their minds? As in so famous that one could identify each and every figure pattern on the top? As in so famous that it won the latest news spot two years in a row?

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got a message from the guy who sold me this guitar almost exactly 5 years from today. Basically he said he wants to buy the guitar back. He also told me this long story about how this was his dream guitar and it was given to him by his dying mother many years ago. Also says he sold it because his business was failing at the time and he needed the money. The offer was $4.5k (I paid $2.9k in Feb 2017). I politely declined the offer since this guitar means a lot to me at this point. Kinda feel bad but I don't really know what else to do or say. I'm assuming the story he told me was true and have no way to verify it. Anyone else ever experience something like this?
Seriously though, it's a solid offer, it's in the current price range for a LPC. It shouldn't be hard to find a replacement.

If this is the one, I wouldn't sell it back.
But I'd sure give him priority if I ever considered selling it.

mjross

Reaction score
Seriously though, it's a solid offer, it's in the current price range for a LPC. It shouldn't be hard to find a replacement.

If this is the one, I wouldn't sell it back.
But I'd sure give him priority if I ever considered selling it.
This is a difficult situation, I’ve had to deal with it a few times. That is a pretty good offer!

lawrev

Reaction score
I'm addicted to my LP Custom and I just can never get tired of it. This model is a 2011 I believe. It's been my number one since I got it 3 years ago. Just an awesome guitar all around. Neck is perfect. Action isn't too low or too high. Pick-ups are high output and have a nice warm feeling. I want another Custom at some point. I wish they still made the Custom Lite.

Been playing it for a good 2 hours a day since the pandemic. Working from home gives me extra time for toys! :]

View attachment 482958 View attachment 482957 View attachment 482957 View attachment 482959
This isn't a toy. It is a creative lifeline! :)

smk506

Reaction score
All jokes about the site aside, that’s a tough spot. You’re not wrong to keep it at all, especially since it’s your number 1 guitar (assuming so after 2 years). Still though, number one guitars can and do come and go… when was the last time you really looked for a better for you guitar?

If you really, really wanted to do the guy a solid, go on a Les Paul hunt and see if anything has the potential to knock the custom down a few pegs.

If you find something that is even perfect-er, tell the dude to pay for it and maybe pony a bit boot to go with it.
Worse case you go guitar shopping and just keep the custom right?

Findthetone

Reaction score
Follow your gut. If it says this is the one, keep it and don't feel bad about it. There are guitars I'd like to have back but I've never once contacted someone I sold them to and ask to buy it back. If one of them pop up for sale, then it was meant to be to bring it back home again.

falcon1

Reaction score
That is a beauty and the best part is that you have the time to play 2hrs a day!

cmsaw83

Reaction score
Show off!!! :):):) (Absolutely gorgeous!!!)

Here's my 2007 Custom F with Super 400 in lays during a restring! View attachment 483362 View attachment 483363 View attachment 483364
This is the finish I want when i go for my Custom. I LOVE the way this looks. Truly beautiful guitar my friend! You've got impeccable taste, gotta hand it to you!

I want a Custom, and its going to be the next guitar purchase I make. Won't be for quite some time though. Still, I know what I want, and the time gives me an opportunity to see what's out there. If I happened upon one that looked like this for a reasonable price, I'd likely go ahead and pull the trigger as I wouldn't want it to get by me. Speaking of which, you don't wanna sell this do you?

I have always wanted a Custom to go with my Standard, and ever since I've realized how many options there are aside from White, Black, and Silverburst, this has been the apple of my eye. Any Gibson LP Custom is an amazing guitar, but the idea that I can have a Custom, but still get a burst finish, it just seems like a no brainer to me.

This is a truly awesome guitar man, and the condition is amazing too. It really is remarkable, and I can only imagine how great it feels, plays, and sounds.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow your gut. If it says this is the one, keep it and don't feel bad about it. There are guitars I'd like to have back but I've never once contacted someone I sold them to and ask to buy it back. If one of them pop up for sale, then it was meant to be to bring it back home again.

It's one thing to contact me and ask if I'd sell it back to him. This I don't mind. What I kinda do mind is I feel the dude is trying to "guilt" me a little into selling it back to him. Like I don't know what to tell ya man, I understand it meant a lot to you, but if the guitar meant as much to you as you say, you likely wouldn't have sold it to me to begin with. If I was in financial ruin I would make sure the last thing I sold someone was something that meant a lot to me. I wouldn't sell my wedding band to pay a bill, I'd find another way. I don't know, maybe other people are different?

Regarding his financial problems, all he said was that his business failed. A business can fail and people can rebound. There are ways to handle the situation without selling everything you own, lose your house, etc. I don't know, I'm just a little skeptical about the situation after thinking about it more lol. At the end of the day I don't know this dude. For all I know he could have sold a bunch of other crap if he needed money but chose to sell this guitar instead.

Last edited:

Jay T

Reaction score
I'm addicted to my LP Custom and I just can never get tired of it. This model is a 2011 I believe. It's been my number one since I got it 3 years ago. Just an awesome guitar all around. Neck is perfect. Action isn't too low or too high. Pick-ups are high output and have a nice warm feeling. I want another Custom at some point. I wish they still made the Custom Lite.

Been playing it for a good 2 hours a day since the pandemic. Working from home gives me extra time for toys! :]

View attachment 482958 View attachment 482957 View attachment 482957 View attachment 482959
beautiful guitar !

West 8th ST NyC

Reaction score

you have good taste my friend ..i love el natural too

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 14

ZvexFan

Reaction score
If you love the guitar and it inspires you, I wouldn’t sell it. Unless you’re in tough times and you’re Mother is passing and your business is under wraps. $5k isn’t much for a guitar that you can be inspired by everyday for the next 30yrs. It’s not easy to find. $5000\2hrs a day. Adds up quick.

scooter500

Reaction score
So in 1983 I sold my oh so beautiful and perfect 1979 Les Paul with mini humbuckers for 20% more than I paid a year earlier. Then I spent the next 35 years looking for one like it or something close. Finally found a used Supreme. And Brother, I learned my lesson, and I'm NEVER GOING TO SELL IT!!!

Latest Threads