I forgot!!!

OBX351

Reaction score
About 10 or 12 years ago I bought a possessed '63 SG LP jr from Gil Southworth. It was one of his personal player guitars. He had it at his old shop in Bethesda and randomly picked it up to demo an amp for a customer. It sounded so good that he put it behind the counter and took it home, which he is want to do with insane sounding guitars, be they vintage or not. Anyway, it was his player for a good while. As he started to sell off some of his personal guitars I was fortunate enough to get this one. It is truly a sweet sounding guitar and I played it for years until, unfortunately, the frets started to show their age and ware and I slowly stopped playing it. I played it yesterday at some volume and was just blown away by the tone. I simply forgot how great it sounds and I am just going to have to have it refretted so that I can get it into the rotation again. The funny thing is that I would have NEVER bought this guitar unless Gil had handed it to me and said, "just play it....".

I get why people buy beat up 50s P90 LP stds and convert them to PAF style bursts but these old P90s are such great sounding pickups. Same thing with Jrs, I know people, including me in the 90s and early 2000s, that pass on Jrs. I know the word is out but it still amazes me how much tone these old P90s produce. The other thing that makes me scratch my head is that I see new vintage style guitars with P90s in the neck only. Put one in the bridge position and try to explain the budge in your pants the first time you play it loud. Rant over.

3 sgs .jpg

63 sg lp jr small.jpg

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
About 10 or 12 years ago I bought a possessed '63 SG LP jr from Gil Southworth. It was one of his personal player guitars. He had it at his old shop in Bethesda and randomly picked it up to demo an amp for a customer. It sounded so good that he put it behind the counter and took it home, which he is want to do with insane sounding guitars, be they vintage or not. Anyway, it was his player for a good while. As he started to sell off some of his personal guitars I was fortunate enough to get this one. It is truly a sweet sounding guitar and I played it for years until, unfortunately, the frets started to show their age and ware and I slowly stopped playing it. I played it yesterday at some volume and was just blown away by the tone. I simply forgot how great it sounds and I am just going to have to have it refretted so that I can get it into the rotation again. The funny thing is that I would have NEVER bought this guitar unless Gil had handed it to me and said, "just play it....".

I get why people buy beat up 50s P90 LP stds and convert them to PAF style bursts but these old P90s are such great sounding pickups. Same thing with Jrs, I know people, including me in the 90s and early 2000s, that pass on Jrs. I know the word is out but it still amazes me how much tone these old P90s produce. The other thing that makes me scratch my head is that I see new vintage style guitars with P90s in the neck only. Put one in the bridge position and try to explain the budge in your pants the first time you play it loud. Rant over.

View attachment 545222
View attachment 545224
Man, that's about as clean as it gets.

Great guitar!

fernieite

Reaction score
I have a 63 les Paul junior as well. Great guitars! Just got mine back from @Freddy G about 3 weeks ago. It was re-fretted before I got it, but now plays so much better after Freddy's work! (He's now working on my R8 - can't wait )

I'm curious, what's your approximate serial number? Mine is 120xxx. Sometime a bit later in 1963 they lost the "les Paul junior" silk screen.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I bought a few good sounding guitars from Gil Southworth over the years, all with P90s except for one, which is a '63 SG LP Std that has been waiting on a body repair for a while (might be over 7 years now... ;) ). Gil has a good ear for a great sounding guitar, and is a beautifully nice person to deal with. I have played more than a few gigs where the thought, "Thanks Gil, this guitar is insanely great sounding, and I feel like a full on rock star!" has entered my head. I also heard a '63 SG Junior is a a thing to own, so big props to the OP.

What you gain from Southworth in tone, you probably lose in refrets, because he clearly likes guitars that need to be played to death. If he just keeps doing that, I'll always think of him as one of the good guys. The TV LP Special I got from him is insane, and '59 DC Junior is an absolute hooligan's guitar. It can probably do "subtle", but as soon as you crank it up you just think, "Yeah, but why not just be totally obnoxious!"

One of the good guys. Don't expect speedy responses to emails. Expect interestingly quirky voice messages, and long and off-the-wall phone conversations. As trips go, among the best I signed up for.

Liam

OBX351

Reaction score
I bought a few good sounding guitars from Gil Southworth over the years, all with P90s except for one, which is a '63 SG LP Std that has been waiting on a body repair for a while (might be over 7 years now... ;) ). Gil has a good ear for a great sounding guitar, and is a beautifully nice person to deal with. I have played more than a few gigs where the thought, "Thanks Gil, this guitar is insanely great sounding, and I feel like a full on rock star!" has entered my head. I also heard a '63 SG Junior is a a thing to own, so big props to the OP.

What you gain from Southworth in tone, you probably lose in refrets, because he clearly likes guitars that need to be played to death. If he just keeps doing that, I'll always think of him as one of the good guys. The TV LP Special I got from him is insane, and '59 DC Junior is an absolute hooligan's guitar. It can probably do "subtle", but as soon as you crank it up you just think, "Yeah, but why not just be totally obnoxious!"

One of the good guys. Don't expect speedy responses to emails. Expect interestingly quirky voice messages, and long and off-the-wall phone conversations. As trips go, among the best I signed up for.

Liam
You clearly know Gil! Thanks for the post.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Good to read these bits and pieces concerning Gil.......and I don't want to derail this thread at all.
Used to buy the Vintage Guitar periodical back in the '90s and he always had ads in it that I'd drool over, then I joined up on the LPF in '03 and it was some years before he posted there as I recall but when he did(and still is) it was like secret squirrel and a James Bond scenario.......extremely informative quirky and mysterious.......I had to chuckle with it all.
From what I know and seen he's a pundit of the highest order with his finger on the pulse......good to hear that he's an amiable character also.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
A few years ago, he posted a "1960 Mustang" for sale on his site. I e-mailed him as to the impossibility of this; he responded quickly and said he'd meant to type "1960s". We exchanged a few friendly e-mails over a day or two, in which I expressed my hope top someday be in a position to give him a lot money. He hoped so, too. I doubt it will happen, but I would truly like to - not just because he has some really nice guitars, but because he took the time to converse nicely with a wiseass such as myself.

Latest Threads