I finally tried the Duncan Jazz Neck pickup. I Love it.

golem

Reaction score
It comes stock in the Doug Rappoport signature I'll post a demo of below (possibly the exact guitar I own). I knew that I generally liked PAF'ish pickups in the neck of guitars so I guess it's not much that much of a surprise to me. I've been playing it in Eb standard and everything on it (Jazz, Blues, Metal, Rock) and it works for everything. Given that I've seen these pickups go cheaply on the used market from time to time, I could see myself picking up a lot of these whenever I see a good price and maybe trying a few different magnets in them. The bridge pickup in these is a Duncan Custom 78. If I'm honest I hadn't heard of that pickup until researching this guitar. It works very well with the Jazz neck in this tuning.

dodona

Reaction score
I played some of them in the 80ths on Les Pauls, Telecasters and a Super 400. Soon they became my first choice humbucker initiating my no super distortion pups anymore. In the 90ths I sold all these guitars and the Jazz gone forgotten. Since then Alnico 2, MHS and especially Antiquities became my preferred pups. Nevertheless I'm pretty sure to give the Jazz a second chance.

jbash

Reaction score
The Jazz series are the same pickups as the Duncan Alnico 2 Pros, but with a polished A5 Magnet. Polysol wire, and have more in common sonically with T Tops than any PAF types.

I enjoy them in the neck in the right guitar. They can be very strident/cold in alot of guitars (mag swap to polished a2 and you get an A2 Pro which is much "sweeter" if it's too much in the guitar as is.

The 78 is the old custom shop EVH pickup, which they got in trouble for, so they changed the name. It is supposedly based on a Higher output PAF rewind they did for EVH early during his career. Nobody knows for sure I guess except EVH (RIP) and Seymour. Nice sounding pickups.

golem

Reaction score
@jbash I'd heard that about the A2 Pros and I'd also heard about them being somewhat similar to T-Tops as well. The 78 Custom sounds great clean or dirty. When you hear EVH you're tempted to think it's going to be a pickup that won't sound good clean, but it sounds great for any application.

@dodona I've heard great things about the antiquities although I've never had a chance to try them myself.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
The Jazz is a very underrated pickup. It is great for almost any style of music. I think it is the most unfortunately named pickup in the Duncan line. Even though they’ve sold a billion of them paired with the JB as the “Hot Rodded Set” or whatever the exact name is.....they would sell a ton more if it wasn’t called the Jazz.

it sounds great with an A2, as mentioned, to turn it into Slash’s Alnico II Pro. It also sounds fantastic with an A3 and an A4, and a RC A5 and an Unoriented A5. It’s a great platform for magnet swaps, just like the Custom range is for bridge pickups in the Duncan Line.

If you put Fillister screws into it, it turns into a Full Shred (or one of Duncan’s other pickups....I can’t think right now, it’s late and I haven’t slept). But SD has turned that wind into several pickups just with different magnet and pole piece screw combinations.....so you should mess around with it too is what I’m saying.

I have heard great Country and great Metal played with the Jazz......all in a Les Paul.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
I am glad you like your pickup. I have a Jazz and. Custom Custom in my LTD EC-1000 Koa and I don't care for either one of them. I plan on replacing them with GFS Fat Pats. I hope I will like the Duncan's better in a different guitar.

golem

Reaction score
I am glad you like your pickup. I have a Jazz and. Custom Custom in my LTD EC-1000 Koa and I don't care for either one of them. I plan on replacing them with GFS Fat Pats. I hope I will like the Duncan's better in a different guitar.
Interestingly both the Jazz and Custom Custom seem to have variants with different magnets. Depending on what you don't like about them you might like them better in a different guitar. Seeing as I've seen them go for $35 locally used (presumably because they come stock on so many guitars as the hotrodded set) I'd buy them up and use them in guitars that could benefit from that clarity in the neck or try a magnet swap for more warmth.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Interestingly both the Jazz and Custom Custom seem to have variants with different magnets. Depending on what you don't like about them you might like them better in a different guitar. Seeing as I've seen them go for $35 locally used (presumably because they come stock on so many guitars as the hotrodded set) I'd buy them up and use them in guitars that could benefit from that clarity in the neck or try a magnet swap for more warmth.
Thanks for the tip. I've been wanting to try a magnet swap for a while. The Duncan's in my LTD both have this odd, blurry midrange that sounds artificial to me. New mags might be just what the doctor ordered.

golem

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I've been wanting to try a magnet swap for a while. The Duncan's in my LTD both have this odd, blurry midrange that sounds artificial to me. New mags might be just what the doctor ordered.
Magnet swaps are good if you want a noticeable but still mild change in tone (i.e., one type of Alnico to another type). I'm sure there are those out there more knowledgeable than me on this topic.

neoclassical

Reaction score
The SD Jazz and the 59' are among the best neck pups imho. They seem to feel and sound great in everything.

jbash

Reaction score
The Jazz is a very underrated pickup. It is great for almost any style of music. I think it is the most unfortunately named pickup in the Duncan line. Even though they’ve sold a billion of them paired with the JB as the “Hot Rodded Set” or whatever the exact name is.....they would sell a ton more if it wasn’t called the Jazz.

it sounds great with an A2, as mentioned, to turn it into Slash’s Alnico II Pro. It also sounds fantastic with an A3 and an A4, and a RC A5 and an Unoriented A5. It’s a great platform for magnet swaps, just like the Custom range is for bridge pickups in the Duncan Line.

If you put Fillister screws into it, it turns into a Full Shred (or one of Duncan’s other pickups....I can’t think right now, it’s late and I haven’t slept). But SD has turned that wind into several pickups just with different magnet and pole piece screw combinations.....so you should mess around with it too is what I’m saying.

I have heard great Country and great Metal played with the Jazz......all in a Les Paul.
Full Shred is the Custom wind/coils with full strength oriented A5 and the hex poles. Essentially a Custom5 with a significant cut in the lows.

Edit- the neck version may be based on a Jazz, I am only familiar with the bridge (which IME, is awful)

Last edited:

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. I was wondering if I had it exactly right or not. And I agree, not one of Duncan’s best efforts.

golem

Reaction score
It's funny to be aware that a Jazz bridge pickup exists. I don't think I've really heard of anyone using it. I realize I'm starting to like neck pickups that are low wind PAFs and usually on the clearer/brighter side of things. I'm starting to like hotter bridge pickups (anything 8.5k-10K if using the same general parts a PAF has).

jbash

Reaction score
Jazz Bridge, IME, makes a better neck pickup than the (far more common) Jazz Neck.

golem

Reaction score
Jazz Bridge, IME, makes a better neck pickup than the (far more common) Jazz Neck.
A5 and 8.5K DCR. That's not crazy hot for a neck pickup, but what are you pairing with it in the bridge? Older PRS pickups like the Dragon I Bass and the Vintage Bass were getting up there in that range, but both were paired with rather fat sounding bridge pickups.

jbash

Reaction score
A5 and 8.5K DCR. That's not crazy hot for a neck pickup, but what are you pairing with it in the bridge? Older PRS pickups like the Dragon I Bass and the Vintage Bass were getting up there in that range, but both were paired with rather fat sounding bridge pickups.
Duncan specs were wrong for years on the website. Jazz Neck and Bridge were always under 8K. 7.5 ish neck /7.8ish bridge avg. Same for (original) A2 Pros. We complained for a couple years over on the forums (i'm sure you can do a forum search) and they never fixed the specs on the site- through all the iterations that the site has gone through in the past 10 years or so.. Everyone gave up after awhile. Jazz bridge just has a little bit more turns than the neck.

That said, Duncan changes crap all the time, and then swears they haven't changed a thing, so who knows- it may be a completely different wind than the Jazz models they made for 30+ years.

And don't let DCR fool you. Look at PRS 57/08s DCR and compare to how hot they actually sound

golem

Reaction score
Duncan specs were wrong for years on the website. Jazz Neck and Bridge were always under 8K. 7.5 ish neck /7.8ish bridge avg. Same for (original) A2 Pros.

And don't let DCR fool you. Look at PRS 57/08s DCR and compare to how hot they actually sound
Yeah I only go by DCR when I have nothing else to go on. I realize DCR doesn't tell you everything. In fact when you bring up the 57/08, I remember seeing that three of PRS pickups from that generation (another one being the 85/15) all have almost the same DCR yet don't sound the same.

Latest Threads