I finally got see full episodes of the boys new show "The Grand Tour" ...

NRBQ

Reaction score
First off I must say that if you just type in The Grand Tour on Yahoo and then go to video, you can see full episodes for free. I don't have Amazon so I was surprised it was available for free. I must admit that after watching the first episode it was obvious that the new show is just Top Gear on steroids and it's business as usual for the boys from Britain. Sure there's a new set, new terms, new chairs and a desk, but it's the same show, same sense of adventure and sense of humor. They are still going on adventures / challenges just like before, and they do it in different combinations of personal, just like before. They have a test track with names for sections like before, they have "The American" instead of "The Stig" for the driver, and this guys shtick is he's a NASCAR guy and he complains about anything that isn't a V8 American car, the antithesis of The Stig.

Truth be known I really forgot is wasn't the old TG almost right away. It just felt like a new season of Top Gear. One thing that has been ratcheted up is the sexual innuendo and humor, probably because they don't have the same censor constraints they had on the BBC. Before they were a little naughty, now they are hyper naughty if you will.

One bit that they can't duplicate is the "Star in a reasonably priced car" segment and so they have a new segment called "Celebrity Brain Crash" where every week that weeks guest star gets killed in a particularly spectacular fashion as they are arriving for the show. The star in car segment was my least favorite bit on the old Top Gear so I don't miss it at all. They still test cars and rank them on their track. I must say that I really like the show and the name they chose The Grand Tour is brilliant, it's just like Top Gear to say and to see, I'm sure the BBC just hates that. Anyway, overall it's great to see them get the band back together and do what they do best.

What are your thought, you're only allowed one, do tell.

And if the boys want to fight you better let em, the boys are back in town.

Last edited:

kmk108

Reaction score
It's on Amazon, not Hulu :slap::laugh2:

I watched the episodes as they came out, and I loved it. The first few episodes weren't anything special, especially that military bit (one of the only TG/GT segments I wanted to end). You could tell they started to get their groove as the season progressed. I can't wait to see next season.

The Celebrity Brain Crash was rumored to be a middle finger to the BBC, since they weren't allowed to do the celebrity appearances. Someone also said online that they weren't allowed to do any cheap car challenges, so that's why there weren't any. There's supposedly an expiration on these, so hopefully we'll get to see them mess around with some cheap cars in the next season. I don't miss the 'Star in the Reasonably Priced Car" either.

My favorite part was this since I'm a Chelsea fan:
j

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
I saw the 1st episode.
Didn't bother with any more.
Won't pay for Amazon anyway.
Have enough crap on the Free t.v. I already get.
I miss them on TG though (I loved Stars in reasonably priced cars).

[I am also Chelsea, and not far from the training ground - about three miles. :D]

kmk108

Reaction score
I saw the 1st episode.
Didn't bother with any more.
Won't pay for Amazon anyway.
Have enough crap on the Free t.v. I already get.
I miss them on TG though (I loved Stars in reasonably priced cars).

[I am also Chelsea, and not far from the training ground - about three miles. :D]

If you want to give it another shot, watch "From (Censored) to (Censored)". It was one of my favorite episodes from the season, and a lot like the Top Gear road trip episodes.

I think one of the reasons Americans don't like the Stars in the Reasonably Priced Cars bit is because we haven't heard of half of the stars, at least before people over here started watching more British shows.

TheX

Mister Jim
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched all of them, and enjoyed them. Not the best show on TV but worth watching in my worth nothing opinion.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
I think one of the reasons Americans don't like the Stars in the Reasonably Priced Cars bit is because we haven't heard of half of the stars, at least before people over here started watching more British shows.
Try being a Brit and doing anything with Micro$oft's name on it.
Crosswords and such.
Full of teams and celeb's from leagues and series we don't get here.
(Having looked some of 'em up.., it's no bad thing.)
;)

I watched all of them, and enjoyed them. Not the best show on TV but worth watching in my worth nothing opinion.
I may try more.
It always used to take me a couple of episode to get into each new series of Top Gear.
Maybe this is the same.
Episode 1 was atrocious though.
:D

TheX

Mister Jim
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the three and their adventures. I don't care what they do off the show so maybe I have more tolerance.

NRBQ

Reaction score
[QUOTE

I may try more.
It always used to take me a couple of episode to get into each new series of Top Gear.
Maybe this is the same.
Episode 1 was atrocious though.
:D[/QUOTE]

I think you will enjoy the show as it progresses because the first show was just the setup, like the first episode of a sitcom, you have to explain it all. They showed Clarkston leaving the BBC and them meeting up in cars and driving with smiles etc. at the beginning. After that it's top gear, doing outlandish things, causing trouble, having trouble, laughing at each other, breaking down and the other two leaving the him stranded. It's just classic Clarkston, May, and Hammond.
When comparing the new TG to the GT it's you can see that it's their long standing friendship. their top notch sense of humor, and their genuine love of mischief and cars that make them the best. I love the constant insults and the man universe behavior, there's not enough shows where men can be men and not apologize for their crudeness. Plus you can tell they like each other, their insults are more terms of wacky endearment from years of working together. The new top gear will never have any of that, it's now just a regular motor show.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
there's not enough shows where men can be men and not apologize.
AGREED!

I bloody hate what 'P.C.' has done and is doing to the world.
It's like someone once apologised for making a joke.
Now everyone has to apologise for making some little snowflake cry.
For god's sake.
We all went through school and lived.
Get yaself a thick skin and grow up FFS.
People make jokes.
They laugh and move on.
/rant

:D

Mr Insane

Reaction score
The best films were by James May. Never thought I would say that.

I think the 2nd season will be better

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
The best films were by James May. Never thought I would say that.
I like James' stuff.
Always very interesting.
Contrary to the other two, I do not find him boring at all.
At least he's a proper muso' too.
;)

kmk108

Reaction score
I think you will enjoy the show as it progresses because the first show was just the setup, like the first episode of a sitcom, you have to explain it all. They showed Clarkston leaving the BBC and them meeting up in cars and driving with smiles etc. at the beginning. After that it's top gear, doing outlandish things, causing trouble, having trouble, laughing at each other, breaking down and the other two leaving the him stranded. It's just classic Clarkston, May, and Hammond.
When comparing the new TG to the GT it's you can see that it's their long standing friendship. their top notch sense of humor, and their genuine love of mischief and cars that make them the best. I love the constant insults and the man universe behavior, there's not enough shows where men can be men and not apologize for their crudeness. Plus you can tell they like each other, their insults are more terms of wacky endearment from years of working together. The new top gear will never have any of that, it's now just a regular motor show.

My mom was just in town for a visit, and we watched some of the old TG road trips since there was nothing on TV. She was loving every minute of it despite knowing nothing about cars. You explained perfectly why they're so popular. It's all about the chemistry they have with each other.

irocdave12

Reaction score
Yup pretty much same thing. They are even so desperate for ideas they are essentially redoing the more popular episodes from top gear era. Build amphibious cars, cars built from random material etc etc. And Hamster still not as good a driver as he thinks and nearly killing himself wrecking cars pretending to be a race driver. Situation normal

Mr Insane

Reaction score
And Hamster still not as good a driver as he thinks and nearly killing himself wrecking cars pretending to be a race driver.

The electric car he crashed does not respond the way a normal car would. Also that was a hill climb, hill climbs are more dangerous. If he would have done that at a normal track, the worst thing that would have happened is go into a gravel pit.

Latest Threads