I Finally Did It!

acstorfer

Reaction score
Out of the blue an old friend said "let's get tattoos". Take in mind I'm 48 so it was kind of out there. Regardless, there has been a tattoo that I've wanted for years so it didn't take any talking into. My friend and I dropped by the tattoo shop last Thursday. He was able to get tattood that night. He got his band logo so there wasn't much drawing to be done. That being said, he got a tattoo MUCH better than what he came in for. My tattoo took some sketching to do so I got started on it two days ago (one week later). So far I'm about to wet myself it's looking so good.

This is my first tattoo. I didn't know what to expect at a tattoo parlor. All the folks there are really cool. I told my artist what I wanted, gave him some photos for reference and gave him the liberty to see what he can come up with. He is the artist after all. His sketch was exactly what I wanted once I saw it. There was one small element I wanted changed. Adam (the tattooer) was 100% accommodating. There was absolutely no ego to contend with. He genuinely wants me to have a tattoo I love. That was his only concern. Also he has some chops! Seriously my tattoo is amazing and there is still lots to do. Oh, just to repeat it's my first tattoo and I had no problem sitting 5 hours. After a day and a half there has been zero discomfort.

I also have to throw in there are a lot of elements in my tattoo. He worked on it and shown that he is an artist. My tattoo is 100% original. It has photo realism for my dog's face, new school for the appointments, some old school for some elements of a guitar I have I wanted thrown in there, and an Egyptian theme. It all flows together! It's all in there, it all makes sense, and it all fits in.

There is still a lot of work to do. Jersey's face still needs details and highlights. Practically none of the color has been put in yet. Yup, lots more to do. As it is, I absolutely love my tattoo. I can't wait for it to be finished! We decided to let it all heal up before finishing it.

People are telling me this is pretty big for a first tattoo, but I'm having zero problems sitting for it. Of course I placed it on my right forearm for two reasons. First, because I want to be able to see it. Second, it seems to be the least painful part of the body to have tattoo work done on it.

So here is where we are at

I gave several pictures of Jersey to Adam to reference. This is the one we went with.

Now after seeing those ears on her I wanted to do her up Egyptian Anubis style. I wanted her face to be photorealistic, and I wanted the headdress and staff to be more of a new school color bombed look to it. One other element I had thrown in there was from my '89 Ibanez JEM 77FP.

Here is where we are at

Even with lots more work to be done on her face there is no denying that is Jersey.

Now if you look at the flower you'll notice it was designed after a flower on my JEM.

Top left flower

Yup, there is still a lot of work to be done. There is going to be a lot of gold, and teal going on, with of course more red, black, gray, and white. I haven't decided what color(s) to go with on the beadwork on the bottom.

I don't know much about prices and such, but at $600.00 I really believe I'm getting an amazing deal.

acstorfer

Reaction score
My buddy went in looking to get his band's logo

Thankfully we were able to talk him out of a big black stamp going onto his arm. He left with this (and it healed up even nicer).

acstorfer

Reaction score
^^ Now that is great!

I saw it again a couple days ago and it looks even better now that it's healed up. It really came out brilliant. The wood grain pops and the letters are legible as hell.

It only took 5 days for his wife to start talking to him again :)

His daughters think it's the coolest thing ever. As far as his band mates, well it looks like Adam is going to have more tattooing to do.

acstorfer

Reaction score
great looking/ nice work !!

Thanks Vguy. It's hard to believe Adam has only been doing this for a few years. He left a 6 figure job (he has a degree in mechanical engineering) to go and start a new career in tattooing. I took a pretty big chance. This is his first animal portrait, well portrait of any kind. I checked out his portfolio and I knew he could pull it off. I don't know how dead on Jersey's face will be to the picture. Like I said, there is still a lot of details and highlights to add, but even at this point there is no denying that is Jersey on my arm.

I really am stoked about how this is coming along. I've wanted this tattoo for years! I found the perfect artist. He is really inexpensive, but I think that has a lot to do with him wanting to put this into his portfolio. Even much more important than price is he is really talented. It's really a pretty big tattoo. It covers almost all of the front of my forearm and a good chunk to the right of my forearm as well. It's going from the wrist to about 1/2" to my elbow crease. He is loving it as much as I am. He even texted me yesterday asking if I could swing by the shop just so he can look at it without blood and take more pictures of it. It's really a new and next stage for him.

I'm never going to get any other tattoos on other body parts. This really has everything I want. Of course I've said that about my rig as well :). What I'll probably do in the future is add on to it. Maybe add a sun or moon. Definitely add a sarcophagus or maybe a mummy. Maybe a pyramid or the Sphinx. I have a lot of possibilities and a lot of room for it to grow.

THDNUT

Reaction score
I can tell that artist has done a few tats before. :laugh2:

Looks pretty cool.

sk8rat

Reaction score
that's a hell of a leap into the world of tattoos :laugh2: go big or go home. im no expert but I think $600 is a hell of a deal for such an intricate piece.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
Great work, definitely love the wood grain idea on your buddies work.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW cool :thumb:

Nice as well :thumb:

I'm 47 and planning on getting my first one as well, suppose it's never to late :laugh2:

SpareRibs

Reaction score
Hello,
That is well thought out ahead of time. Taking time to design it yourself worked out really
well to, given that most people just go in drunk and pick something off the wall.

freak

Reaction score
$600?

yeah.....very good deal.

my left arm is worth more than me dead. :shock:

looks good btw.

Latest Threads