JEguitars

Reaction score
Specs:

Quilt Maple Top
Black Limba Body with Neg-X Chambering
Figured Movingui Neck
Quilt Maple Fretboard
Black Limba Pickguard

Going to put a Shadow Nanomag Piezo Pickup under the pickguard just after the last fret and going to wind my own humbucker and make it splittable in the bridge. Going for a myriad of sounds. One volume, one tone, two input jacks (one for piezo, one for humbucker).

yAmdq5d.jpg

ISWanvD.jpg

INCXB12.jpg

awPVFRh.jpg

blaumph2cool

Reaction score
That quilt is beautiful! i like the contrast on the back too. very ying/yangish but it works.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Beautiful! :thumb:

...two input jacks (one for piezo, one for humbucker).

If you use a stereo jack, you can accomplish the same thing (I think) as using two separate mono jacks. That's what I did on my recent octave build where I used a P-90 and a GraphTech Ghost Resomax bridge. Then you can use a splitter to split the signals to two different channels or amps, if you want (which is what I did).

Frank

JEguitars

Reaction score
Beautiful! :thumb:

If you use a stereo jack, you can accomplish the same thing (I think) as using two separate mono jacks. That's what I did on my recent octave build where I used a P-90 and a GraphTech Ghost Resomax bridge. Then you can use a splitter to split the signals to two different channels or amps, if you want (which is what I did).

Frank

Can't. Preamp for the Shadow Nanomag is build into the input jack.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can't. Preamp for the Shadow Nanomag is build into the input jack.

Wow, that's interesting! I never heard of that (nor have I ever heard of a Shadow Nanomag, for that matter). :hmm:

mux164

Reaction score
what i have heard about the shadow nano mag is that it goes on the end of the fret board after the last fret if you know what i mean,
on an ebony board its practically invisible.
N_2759b.jpg
Nano2.jpg

epiphone had it on one of there les paul models,
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-II

or am i barking up the wrong tree and its a different piezo?

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Yes to the top, a definite NO to the pickguard. The dramatically different character of the wood of the pickguard clashes strongly with the quilted top, and at least for me, that NEVER works. I don't even like it when PRS puts a non-matching cavity cover on the back of one of their guitars. it just clashes. Like wearing a polka dotted shirt with plaid pants.

emoney

Reaction score
I gotta echo cmj's sentiment on that pickgaurd. Bummer to hide that quilt anyway, But what do I know.
Whatever you choose, she's gonna be a stunner.

jaxcat

Reaction score
I as well, no pick guard or keep it simple back, cream etc

cmjohnson

Reaction score
You know, you can always make the pickguard removable. Personally I don't care for pickguards, EVER. They just cover up the pretty part. But then again, the way I play, my pick never even touches the finish. Some people gouge ruts in the tops of their guitars and they are the ones who need pickguards.

JEguitars

Reaction score
Where did you get the maple? It looks great!

Got it off ebay years ago. It was a billet I just resawed, got it for a super cheap price too if I remember correctly, best deal I ever got off there. Now quilt maple is at insane prices on there, can't find a good deal anymore.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Yeah, that's for sure. GOOD quilt is now so expensive you'd think you were buying semi-precious metals. I haven't bought any quilt in at least two years due to cost reasons. Not that I'm building that much anyway. Heck, to be totally realistic about it, other than fingerboards I have enough good woods in stock to build at least ten instruments. I still browse the 'bay for nice quilt just in case I get lucky.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I say you should use your own headstock shape. Take pride in it, show that though it's a homage to a classic, it's unquestionably your work, something you can show anywhere.

ANYBODY can copy the Gibson headstock. Who's going to respect that? "Oh, just another cloner. Big deal."...walks on by. You don't want that vibe and that attitude, do you?

So the headstock may already be cut...you can still change the top of it to be YOURS. I recommend this.

Still not feeling the clashing pickguard and maple top, but that's just my tastes in play.

Barnaby

Reaction score
Looking amazing - the woods are stunning! Where on earth did you find that incredible neck?

I can't wait to see the board on there.

b_rogers

Reaction score
Nice work! Im interested in the Movingui wood as well, how easy was it to work? Is it an irritant? I know they have a few pieces at a local wood yard near me..

Latest Threads