I don't know my rights...

Zylo

Reaction score
tbh
i can imagine being a police officer in the states is not easy, when the public can be better armed than them.
when they do a police stop, they have no idea what kind of person is in that car and what situation they face..very tough.

I Break Things

Reaction score
tbh
i can imagine being a police officer in the states is not easy, when the public can be better armed than them.
when they do a police stop, they have no idea what kind of person is in that car and what situation they face..very tough.
This isn't an American thing. The legally armed public is of no threat to anyone really so long as they've had practice and know firearm safety.

The ones they have to look out for are the ones with illegal weapons. Felons, those who have been admitted to psychiatric wards, etc. are NOT permitted to have guns, but it's easy enough for them to get them from Mexico, and there is jack shit being done about the issue there.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Only ever been shitty with one cop. Stopped me for a headlight out on an old beater truck. He was a smart ass from the go. Shining all in my truck trying to find any reason to hassle me. He asked where I was headed. I pointed and said THAT WAY....Then he asked where I was coming from (2 big taco bell bags on the seat, he knew damned well where I was coming from) I pointed behind me and said THAT WAY. He got PISSED and told me he was just trying to get information . I told him where I was going or coming from was none of his business and had nothing to do with me having a bad headlight. He then told me he didn't need a sermon. I said well, I don't need questions that are not your business. Miraculously I got a warning to get the light fixed. One and only time I have ever gotten shitty with a cop. Friends with and did a campaign video for our current sheriff. When the dept of homeland security contacted him saying to consider me armed and dangerous if they had any interaction with me (another story) he laughed and told em no way, and contacted me immediately.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
tbh
And quite frequently, better trained.
Most cops aren't "gun guys"... handling a gun is just a part of the job, and like many, training and qualification is done only to meet the basic requirements of the job.
Some take it seriously and spend time both on and off-duty honing their skills at the range.

Fortunately for the cops that don't train frequently, the members of the public who ARE well trained are rarely a problem or a threat to them.

And generally, the public is NOT better armed than cops.
Many cops now have short barreled AR-15 rifes, and some departments carry select-fire (3 round burst).
Machine guns are EXTREMELY difficult for the general public to legally obtain, and those who are willing to spend the time and money to get the required permits for a short barreled rifle are not going to screw it up by shooting a cop during a traffic stop.
In states that have tougher gun laws, cops have as much as double the ammo capacity.

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most cops aren't "gun guys"... handling a gun is just a part of the job, and like many, training and qualification is done only to meet the basic requirements of the job.

Super true statement here.

Once when I was at a range a Wayne County deputy sheriff (short fat little female spud) didn't know how to clear her Glock so she went back to the line and fired the chambered round to clear it. :eek2::eek2:

She's probably the undersheriff by now.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Super true statement here.

Once when I was at a range a Wayne County deputy sheriff (short fat little female spud) didn't know how to clear her Glock so she went back to the line and fired the chambered round to clear it. :eek2::eek2:

She's probably the undersheriff by now.
I got a story.....

many moons ago I was driving down the interstate and there was a big buck down but alive off to the side of the road. I called the state patrol to report it in case it was a bow strike ( woods close) and the hunter was searching. The dispatcher said no, it was a car strike and an officer was dispatched to kill it. I asked if I could.claim the deer and she said yes. I

took the next exit and did the loop and headed back to the location of the deer. When I got there a woman cop was setting in her car. I pulled in behind her, she got out and I explained that I had called in and was there to claim the deer. She told me to "stay back" while she dispatched the deer.

(I swear to God this is true) she got back in her car and pulled it up even with the deer, got out and pulled her weapon got behind her car as if taking cover....jumped up in the air and landed arms extended and feet wide and BLAM..clean miss....... deer got up and stumbled forward a few yards and went down again. She got back in her car, pulled it forward even with the deer and again did the jump land shoot thing and another miss. I told her I had my CCW in the car if she wanted me to dispatch the deer and she got very defensive.

She took several more shots and never hit the deer. I had an appointment so I told her I had to leave but would pick the deer up on my way back through in about 45 mins.

When I returned ,there were 2 guys walking across a field from a housing development toward where the deer was. They told me they counted like 15 shots all shooting directly toward the houses. They helped me load up the buck and when I skinned him out there was ONE round in him. Meat was bad so the dogs got it.

About a year later I was telling a cop the story. He said he knew exactly who I was talking about and she had zero business carrying a firearm.

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
1638146723480.jpeg

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Reaction score
It's amazing how being scared to get in trouble, from the law itself, or better yet, your parents has disappeared. Cops aren't here to be your therapy session, punching bag, or parent. They're here to keep as many people safe as they can.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain I'd be asked to leave my car if I got pulled over just with the simple question, "Do you have any drugs or weapons in the car?"

Why, yes, officer, I do. I've got my Xanax in my pocket and a Berretta M9A1 on my hip with a spare mag.

"Step out of the car, sir."
Prolly a good idea to tell them you have a CCW before you tell them you are carrying. Telling them you have a medication that affects driving is unwise.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't an American thing. The legally armed public is of no threat to anyone really so long as they've had practice and know firearm safety.

The ones they have to look out for are the ones with illegal weapons. Felons, those who have been admitted to psychiatric wards, etc. are NOT permitted to have guns, but it's easy enough for them to get them from Mexico, and there is jack shit being done about the issue there.
???

Being admitted to a psychiatric ward is not a bar to possession of firearms.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Machine guns are EXTREMELY difficult for the general public to legally obtain, and those who are willing to spend the time and money to get the required permits for a short barreled rifle are not going to screw it up by shooting a cop during a traffic stop.

I concur. And machine guns are overrated. Unless you are firing on a concentrated group of people like the Las Vegas Mandalay Bay shooter, or employing suppressive fire, they generally aren't much better than a semi-auto. Not only do you piss through ammo, a stoppage from overheating is a threat.

I Break Things

Reaction score
Prolly a good idea to tell them you have a CCW before you tell them you are carrying. Telling them you have a medication that affects driving is unwise.
1. That was sarcasm. There's no reason to tell them I'm on a prescription medication.
2. Medications affect everyone differently, especially after a tolerance is built.
3. I don't drive to begin with so it's really a moot point.

I Break Things

Reaction score
???

"Federal law also generally prohibits people from possessing firearms if they have been involuntarily hospitalized or committed to a mental health or substance abuse treatment facility by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority."

I suppose I should have included "involuntarily" in there, but the point stands that being admitted to a mental institution can bar you from owning firearms.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
???

It is in California if you are adjudicated 5150 or 5152, and it's not a temporary prohibition.

Latest Threads