I don't know my rights...

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
So I've been watching a lot of Youtube lately and I keep getting these recommendations for police audit videos. Everyone seems to know their rights, but I've never known mine. It has never once occurred to me to disobey a direct order from an officer, why would someone do that? When I was growing up, if an officer had to bring me home to my dad, it would not have gone well for me, so I steered clear of anything that would lead to that scenario.

Out of view, I'm going to do what I'm going to do as much as any reasonable person would, but if told to stop, I'm erring on the side of "this person has the authority to tell me to stop". Some of the videos, OK the officer is being a little more harsh than they need to be, but in most of them, the "auditor" is doing something deliberately in view of officers to provoke the stop and then they proceed to escalate things by being uncooperative, all the while exercising these rights they all seem to know about. BTW whenever someone starts a conversation with the statement that they know their rights, it never goes well, and they seldom seem to be aware of what their rights actually are.

It isn't generational, either. it isn't like I can say "Zoomers don't know how to act right", these are people of all ages and races.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am a generally agreeable person who has had many good interactions with cops. I’m not out to screw up anyones day. However, I have been majorly fucked with by law enforcement on a couple of occasions and had the REALLY hold myself back. Cops are people and some people don’t deserve the badge.

mdubya

Reaction score
After a year of almost 100% zero police presence and pandemic empty roads (no longer true), I got popped this past summer. I didn't know how fast I was going. The cop looked to be about 25, full sleeves of tattoos with his short sleeve summer uniform. I was going 61 in a 35. :shock: Damn, that is way too fast. Yeesh.

The cop came back with a warning citing my years long clean record.

"Just slow it down, please," he said.

"Yessir, Mr. Officer, sir!"

It was at that moment I realized what an old man I must look like. :oops:

I will admit I was very nervous about reaching for my license and registration.

It has been so long since I got pulled over, I hardly knew what to do or how to act. I was happy to take the ticket because I deserved it. But even happier with the warning.

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My philosophy is, don’t fight the cop, take it up with the judge. I came to this position after some trial and error.

I would agree, up to a point. You guys have way more legal protections than we do in the U.K. but, I wonder if the same basic affliction affects both countries, in that a judges default position is: 'cops don't lie'. which I can state from personal experience is, well, they fucking do.

So, with that being said, to the point, Do not say anything. Do not consent to search. But, be polite and non confrontational in saying so.

Why? well hows about the guy that got 'routinely' stopped, fell for the 'we'll just get the dogs' line. Cop searches car, finds a 'white substance' in rear passenger area floor, does a reagent test. It pings for meth. Guys doing time. Never possessed anything beyond an aspirin. The wheels turn, the cogs rotate, you cannot stop them.

Or how about, You make a statement, 'I never been to Oxford Town' A witness, with no reason to lie, so is deemed credible, identifies you as the person they saw in Oxford Town, suddenly, you have been caught 'in a lie' so was anything you said the truth? suspect convicted of murder, no chance of appeal as the evidence chain was sound.

Except that one witness made a mistake. But seeing as they had no malice toward the accused, therefore they had no reason to lie. The appeal court ruled no grounds for appeal.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to deny permission to have your property searched. Other than that, the cop is the boss and its probably in your best interest to accomodate him.
Bingo.

It's called "failing the attitude test"
You may not be guilty of anything, but you are dealing with someone who, right or wrong, has the ability to royally fuck up your weekend and cost you hundreds of dollars.
Mouth off and make him sort everything out, and it's going to get sorted out at the station... not at the side of the road.
That means towing and impound charges for your car... and likely damage. You'll need a ride to pick it up as well, they don't have a valet bring it to the front of the jail freshly washed and with a full tank when they send you to the sidewalk.
If you get booked in and need to post bail, if you don't have a ton of money in the bank, you're going to pay the bondsman 10% of your bail... so now you're out $1000 for a bullshit charge that carries $10,000 bail. That money is gone, even if the charges are dropped.

"Yes sir", "No sir", "I don't know sir", "I'm very sorry sir" all go a very long way toward getting you on your way, and maybe even getting off with a warning.
I've not had a ticket since 1992.
Been pulled over a few times, but not cited.

Yes, more people talk their way into jail than talk their way out of jail. These people often should be in jail.

Last edited:

Latest Threads