I don't care what anyone says, Mayer is one of the best guitarists out there now

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't care what anybody says.

About anything.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Come over to England next May and see Phil47, and eat your words and humble pie. Oh and come and listen to my 'chops' if you wish and see how I hold up in a jam session. Fuck off! You can see half a dozen players as good if not better than him every weekend in Norwich, and it's a musical backwater...

It's not hating on him, just an honest judgement.

Thanks for not being a total dick, John. :thumb:

I am more than happy that you and Phil are better blues players than Mayer. My point was simply that there are a lot here who just talk shit to talk shit.

jonesy77777

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcgeNeCh5CA&feature=PlayList&p=26195753379979C4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=27]YouTube - John Mayer Trio - Everyday I Have The Blues "Live"[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwt83O0Sk0&feature=related]YouTube - 08 - John Mayer - Who Did You Think I Was (Live in LA)[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_M5cNcRcMk]YouTube - 01 - John Mayer - Neon (Live in LA)[/ame]

The acoustic isn't crazy like some of the stuff on here, but it is just really nice to listen to, and he can play lead stuff while singing very well.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

ever since day one, man. You never been a pro player, or what? How you dress, and what you do with your money, says alot about character, IMHO, and even more so when you are a musician.

I also find it funny that this thread popped up just a few days before his album comes out...:hmm:

Ah, so you and most in this discussion are pro players? I'm a gigging player, and what I wear to a gig varies and has shit to do with how well I play.

I don't follow John Mayer nor care when his album is coming out. I also don't care about his "character" when I listen to one of his tracks.

RevaD

Reaction score
Guys get 'p-ssed off' awful easy around here....:hmm:

Hey, I'm a house husband. I'm allowed. :naughty:

Ah, so you and most in this discussion are pro players? I'm a gigging player, and what I wear to a gig varies and has shit to do with how well I play.

I don't follow John Mayer nor care when his album is coming out. I also don't care about his "character" when I listen to one of his tracks.

Dude...who the hell am I that my opinion matters, even?

I actually like Mayer as a player..but I think he could be better, and that he's not "all that and a bag of chips"....he's too new to have earned that title as of yet. Potential to be that? YES!!!

I judge by complete package man...I mean really, I expect people to look at me the same way. I spent 5 years in jail...it's part of who and what I am. It influences my playing, my style, everything...so the other things muscians do, are very important to me. Especially if I'm gonna support them in their endevours. Heck, I can't even spell that word! :laugh2: People's history, and who they are, is very important in understanding the music they create...

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score

I am more than happy that you and Phil are better blues players than Mayer. My point was simply that there are a lot here who just talk shit to talk shit.

And for the record, I wasn't saying that I'm a better player than Mayer by any stretch, but there are a whole bunch of mofos out there that are. :laugh2:

kmk108

Reaction score
I mean...it's blues, dude, and when I hear Mayer, I hear "spoilt rich boy"...and he just ooozes over-confidence. It pisses me off...becuase I think if he could move beyond that, he'd excel as a player. Ya just gots to have some hard times, to play the blues well, ya know?

That is a very ignorant comment. You don't have to go through hard times to play the blues.

RevaD

Reaction score
That is a very ignorant comment. You don't have to go through hard times to play the blues.

I think your comment is ignorant. If that's the case, then anyone can do it. Playing blues, sure, but playing from the heart? That takes something special. He ain't got it, IMHO. Just technical ability.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHuI1Ulfmz0]YouTube - John Mayer - Belief[/ame]
Every once in a while he plays something good. But I find most of his music boring.
The big issue though, choosing twitter over Jennifer Aniston? What the heck is wrong with you?

jonesy77777

Reaction score
Come over to England next May and see Phil47, and eat your words and humble pie. Oh and come and listen to my 'chops' if you wish and see how I hold up in a jam session. Fuck off! You can see half a dozen players as good if not better than him every weekend in Norwich, and it's a musical backwater...

It's not hating on him, just an honest judgement.

Bit harsh. You sound like my dad who thinks if it wasn't something he was listening to in Birmingham in the 60/70's it's tripe.:laugh2: Seriously though, the dude is real good, and I think there is a little preconceived hate going on. You can't honestly say that the Mick Taylor video much better if at all, than the couple of mayer clips I posted. If you do I would say it is because you don't want to like mayer.

arcanis494

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think he is a better than average player who could use his talents to make good music, but he is more interested in playing mainstream garbage and dating celebrities. :laugh2:

As BB said, Joe Bonamassa would wipe the floor with John.

John could also learn a few things from Derek Trucks. :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

RevaD

Reaction score
YouTube - John Mayer - Belief
Every once in a while he plays something good. But I find most of his music boring.
The big issue though, choosing twitter over Jennifer Aniston? What the heck is wrong with you?

I'd take twitter over Jen too. She's used goods. We already dicussed this a couple of months ago though, in the "Jen or Angelina" thread...

And sure, I'm judgemental about him...but only becasue I want to see him succeed, and I don't think he'll do that. I guess next week we will see when the new album comes out...if it's more "pop" garbage that puts me to sleep, like continuum, there's no way you could ever consider comparing him to Clapton, for example...Clapton helped shape the industry...what's Mayer got to say for himself?

brianugly

Reaction score
I admit I used to dislike him because of the lameness of his songs, but I watched him on Austin City limits, and he can play the blues pretty well. One of the best out there:Well...Clapton, Beck, Page are still alive...I am pretty sure he has a way to go...

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Now hold on, Diceman. I didn't say that. You made a comment: "...and I doubt that anyone who is talking shit here in this thread could even hold up in a jam session, much less on a stage..." So I say, come on over next May and listen to the two of us, and also a lot of others who'll be there who are well capable of holding up in a jam session. Because that's what it will be on the night. 100% off-the-cuff because we've never met up before.

You see, you've made tha fatal mistake of not knowing what people do before making a general, catch-all comment. I've been involved in the running of jam sessions for the last 4 years, stepping up every week, getting others to step up, cajoling some nervous people along. I'm no hero, just someone who enjoys playing and likes to see others develop. But I'll get up at any jam session and not give a shit who's alongside me, not even Phil47 next May. :dude: So my point is, don't call out people if you don't know what they've done.

LongBeach

Reaction score
I dont care for his style of playing.
Personally could care less if he has a crap attitude, wouldnt know,
turn the channel if he comes on. (tv or radio)

He has more talent in 1 of his little fingers, than I have in my entire, big, fat, body. But that doesnt mean I have to care for what he puts out.
Respect his talent :hmm: yes, I do :thumb:

Makeitstop

Reaction score
But I'll get up at any jam session and not give a shit who's alongside me...

My point as well. I've played on stage with people whose records probably sit in a lot of MLPers' record collections, and that stuff doesn't scare me in the least. I may not be an international guitar hero, but I know I can get on stage with them and not embarrass myself, because I've done it.

- D

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Now hold on, Diceman. I didn't say that. You made a comment: "...and I doubt that anyone who is talking shit here in this thread could even hold up in a jam session, much less on a stage..." So I say, come on over next May and listen to the two of us, and also a lot of others who'll be there who are well capable of holding up in a jam session. Because that's what it will be on the night. 100% off-the-cuff because we've never met up before.

You see, you've made tha fatal mistake of not knowing what people do before making a general, catch-all comment. I've been involved in the running of jam sessions for the last 4 years, stepping up every week, getting others to step up, cajoling some nervous people along. I'm no hero, just someone who enjoys playing and likes to see others develop. But I'll get up at any jam session and not give a shit who's alongside me, not even Phil47 next May. :dude: So my point is, don't call out people if you don't know what they've done.

John, I dind't call you out. I was simply saying that most here are tearing apart Mayer when they likely couldn't share the stage with him. (I put a note in my original post now that I see how you interpreted my comment. It wasn't clear enough, obviously). I'd love to meet up with guys like you and Vasco (Edit: PHIL) and get schooled. I didn't make a personal statement towards anyone, just a comment on arm chair quarterbacking in general. John Mayer is a very good player. I doubt that MOST of us could go one for one with the guy in any setting.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
there's no way you could ever consider comparing him to Clapton, for example...Clapton helped shape the industry...what's Mayer got to say for imself?
Clapton is my favourite player. One of the most the best at putting his soul into music.
Mayer, though I don't listen to him that much, is doing something he loves and is making money off of it. that might not be as admirable as shaping history but it's still something you usually can be proud of.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I like Mayer's guitar playing. I'm not a fan of a lot of his pop songs, but as far as skills with the guitar...he's got 'em. Like him or hate him, it's hard to deny that he's got really good timing and rhythm as a guitar player. And to me, those are hallmarks for a great guitarist.

I dig a lot of his stuff. Not all of it...but a lot of it.

Latest Threads