I decided to try something different, D´addario XS

Weaseldust

Reaction score
So first time evertrying coated strings...And a slightly different gauge, 9-46 ... A in between set where the skinny strings are little thinner than on a 10-46 from d´addario that i always use.

im not really done with the current strings on the guitar they will have to die a little more before i try.

But i wanted to hear if anyone heré tried the XS series of strings ... they are supposed to be the longest lasting from d´addario.

AJK1

Reaction score
No need for coatings with me
I use Pure Nickel on all my guitars because they last a long time and sound divine !

Weaseldust

Reaction score
I use Pure Nickel on all my guitars because they last a long time and sound divine !
i read about them on daddario site...I never even bothered looking at anything else than the gauge numbers on the package.

I was after a set of pro steels also but wil have to wait until they are back in stock...pro steels are by daddarios site their brightest sounding strings..

Could you maybe point me to a youtube comparison video where i can get a good representation of how the pure nickels sound ?? =)

AJK1

Reaction score
And don’t wear out my frets !

AJK1

Reaction score
i read about them on daddario site...I never even bothered looking at anything else than the gauge numbers on the package.

I was after a set of pro steels also but wil have to wait until they are back in stock...pro steels are by daddarios site their brightest sounding strings..

Could you maybe point me to a youtube comparison video where i can get a good representation of how the pure nickels sound ?? =)
Just do a search, should be plenty of vids on the subject

Weaseldust

Reaction score
Just do a search, should be plenty of vids on the subject
hey, they are real nice and bity when you dig in ....didnt expect much .....when i saw them the despription made me think oldtimey and dull ... dark.. they are mellow, but snaps litterally out of it when you snap ´em ... cool need to try

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
I am using the previous version XT:

These are basically the NYXL set with a coating and sound very slightly less bright. The new series XS I have 3 sets, but haven't used any of them yet.

I've used other coated strings... SIT, Elixir and they were/are fine for me. Sound good and last for ages. You can't really feel the coating and it certainly helps for those with acidic sweaty hands. Be aware though, that the Elixir Nanoweb coating flakes off. I don't like them for that reason only.

On my LP types, I use 10-46 top-wrapped. The hybrid 9-46 works best on my Strat... Elixir Optiwebs.

Bandersnatch786

Reaction score
I've more or less been using coated strings my whole time playing. I used Dean Markley Blue Steel which, in my experience, have lasted longer than any other strings I've used. However, they sound quite dark to my ears. I've since moved on to NYXL's. I like the brightness and clarity they give. It allows me to not dial the EQ on my amps so aggressively one way or the other.

I use GHS fast fret before each playing session and wipe the strings down after playing. The NYXL's last around 6 months for me if I'm playing every day. Splitting my time between my 3 main guitars, I'd say I change strings on them each every 8 or 9 months unless it's needed sooner.

Latest Threads