I couldn't recognize a Soundgarden song, even to save my life

hecube

Reaction score
The whole grunge thing flew right over my head.

It happened around the time I was getting serious with my music studies and was mostly into jazz and classical at the time.

I never tried really to listen to the rock music of the early 90s.

Nirvana, I might recognize a song or two, Pearl Jam, not even sure... Soundgarden, no idea.

James R

Reaction score
Sorry you missed it, but it's never too late.
There's some great music waiting for you.

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"I'm lucks last match struck, in the pouring down wind."

... missed out on a hell of a singer and lyricist i guess.

his music is still there to be listened to and appreciated. that hasn't changed.

sk8rat

Reaction score
right up there with smells like teen spirit. im sure youve heard it, then again, isnt npr the only radio station canadians get?

I kid, I kid

hecube

Reaction score
I stand corrected.

That one I know but I thought that was a Pearl Jam song.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I never understood grunge as a genre.

You had the four main great bands that didn't really sound anything alike. And STP that sounded like one of those four bands on any given song (at least in the beginning).

Oh well, labels be labels and such. Good music be good music.

elephantrider

Reaction score
he had a really successful solo career. if you're not down with soundgarden, at
least give his solo stuff a go.

DotStudio

Reaction score
right up there with smells like teen spirit. im sure youve heard it, then again, isnt npr the only radio station canadians get?

I kid, I kid

I played the "you had to have heard this one " Soundgarden game with my wife earlier. She got three right! A record!

Reaction score
In my opinion grunge was the worse thing to land on this planet. I especially could not stand Soundgarden. The whole grunge thing was very depressing coming out of the '80's with music such as The Scorpions, Kiss, Motley Crue, Ratt, Iron Maiden, Accept, real Metallica, etc.

With that said I did like Audioslave a lot. Chris's pipes ripped on that album. His vocal ability will certainly go down with the best of them.

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
people keep mentioning STP. They were an LA (or at least California) band that rode in on the wave, not a Seattle band.

Grunge was a weird word for what was basically 70s Rock.

(many think stp were only signed because for a while there it seemed any 'grunge' band got signed. Bush, Seven Mary Three,... there were so many 'me too' bands by the mid 90s that seemed to get signed by sounding like one of the big 4 Seattle grunge bands.
Hell look at Godsmack,... the name of the band is an Alice in Chains song. )

at the time all self respecting young rockers thought bands like Bush were just posers, riding on grunges big 4 coattails.

..... (which if we're honest. ....)

Last edited:

TheX

Why you mad, bro?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love superunknown.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just the opposite. I was never happier to have that music above off the radio. (taking maiden out of that group).

Better yet it took the mainstream shit like Mc hammer and Wilson Philips and flushed that too. However I'm completely biased because these (90's) were my formidable years. And I still think without it I'd never have gotten into bands like Pantera and stuff like that. As stupid as that example sounds it's probably true for me. Hair bands around 90 - 91 were getting so terrible (minus slave to the grind - badass album) that I actually was completely flipping to rap music over it. I welcomed a little soul and energy to my music. Even if it was a somewhat depressive angst. And still in my rotation heavily today. Vocals are a huge part, probably more important to me than the music, and all these guys had vocals. Some say screams, I say range.

And I still think there wasn't much of anything grunge (besides heroin) about Alice in Chains. Besides the acoustic album, that's a metal band imo

Last edited:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I'm just the opposite. I was never happier to have that music above off the radio. (taking maiden out of that group).

Better yet it took the mainstream shit like Mc hammer and Wilson Philips and flushed that too. However I'm completely biased because these (90's) were my formidable years. And I still think without it I'd never have gotten into bands like Pantera and stuff like that. As stupid as that example sounds it's probably true for me. Hair bands around 90 - 91 were getting so terrible (minus slave to the grind - badass album) that I actually was completely flipping to rap music over it. I welcomed a little soul and energy to my music. Even if it was a somewhat depressive angst. And still in my rotation heavily.

And I still think there wasn't much of anything grunge (besides heroin) about Alice in Chains. Besides the acoustic album, that's a metal band imo
Damn straight. Hair Metal sucked ass.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of it I really liked. But it just got boring to me. I was so sick of the scene and look of it. Normal people don't wear mesh, pink, have perms, and wear boots and scarves...... At least all at once.

Reaction score

Better yet it took the mainstream shit like Mc hammer and Wilson Philips and flushed that too. However I'm completely biased because these (90's) were my formidable years. And I still think without it I'd never have gotten into bands like Pantera and stuff like that. As stupid as that example sounds it's probably true for me. Hair bands around 90 - 91 were getting so terrible (minus slave to the grind - badass album) that I actually was completely flipping to rap music over it. I welcomed a little soul and energy to my music. Even if it was a somewhat depressive angst. And still in my rotation heavily.

Like your response. I think Skid Row was probably the very last of the good "metal" bands. After them it was truely the end.

I grew up in the '80's so I couldn't help but let it define me. Back then if you couldn't play fast guitar...well..you couldn't play. (It's funny becuse a part of that never goes away.) In the late '80's the industry began to purge what they had left in LA, because the good bands had run dry. I knew it was the beginning of the end.

It's funny because a lot of those grunge guys were "hair" metal themselves in the '80's. :lol:

Reactions: Who

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I remember only because of the song he did with Carlos Santana. Same with Rob Thomas.
Bowing for some is a band that sticks to your ribs. Weezer because I stopped smoking because of that stupid name.

Latest Threads