I can't believe I need to ask this...

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't really try to stick the hose down the drain. I just meant I vacuumed up all the other sand in the tub
The hose itself is probably too big, but if you have something like the hose from an old bonnet style hair dryer, you can seal that up to the vac with duct tape and run that down the overflow.
You just need to get as much as you can out of the trap.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Reaction score
If ya can't get it, get an air compressor with about 14" or so of flexible 1/4" copper line on the end of the hose fitting (you can buy fittings to make one cheap)

Have the tub about 1/2 full of water and pull the drain plug and shove the copper line down, blowing air as you go.

Should blow it clean like Steve's wi....never mind. Should work. :)

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Texas is a State of Mind
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where I was going .......

It could be trap......but if thats the case the blockage is likely a combo of sand,sludge and hair.....

Another thing I've run across is a jammed/broken trip lever plunger.......pain in ass to fix. (can be)

I'd start with one of these.......

View attachment 543591
These things are great. 3 women, used to be 4, in my house. These keep the drains cleaned out. Some nasty balls of hair and soap/conditioner come out.

judson

Reaction score
a friend had the same issue...

plumber came over with a shop vac and did not suck it out

he reversed the shop vac, like a leaf blower and blew the sand thru the p trap and into the main drain.....cleared it up with no problem..

you wont be able to suck it up.....but if you could access the trap and clean it out , i would try that first.....good luck!

take the kids to the beach.....dont bring the beach into your tub! ..... :hyper:

sonar1

Reaction score
PSA:
If you use shaving gel DO NOT put Liquid Plumber down any drain where hair & whiskers etc, that stuff, and toothpaste can build up.
Initially it’ll melt it, then it will “kick” like epoxy and turn into a hockey puck! You’ll have to cut a solid foot of that section of pipe out.
Take my word on this.
I like dogs, play guitar some, and I know things…

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah I vacuumed out what I could. No idea how much went down the drain though. I think maybe one beach sand buckets worth. I ran a whole jug of Drano down and a tub full of hot water. It drains but it's pretty slow
Drano is not going to do jack-squat to sand.

Sand is broken down rock. Tiny particles. Heated and melted, it's window-pane glass.

Drano isn't going to touch that.

I would recommend that you pull the trap piping out. all the way to the stub-out on the wall.

Then blast it with a hose.

*edit* It's a bathtub drain. So see below:

*or* bite the bullet and call the plumber.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think smaller hose/tubing is the key. You've got to get to it. Once you get it moving at all I think it'll go. You've got to erode the dam. Sounds to me like there's probably a bottle of drano sitting there dammed up. You need to be careful.

PeteK

Reaction score
PSA:
If you use shaving gel DO NOT put Liquid Plumber down any drain where hair & whiskers etc, that stuff, and toothpaste can build up.
Initially it’ll melt it, then it will “kick” like epoxy and turn into a hockey puck! You’ll have to cut a solid foot of that section of pipe out.
Take my word on this.
Good to know. This particular tub only gets used to bathe the kids. Occasionally if we have someone staying here, they use that shower, not mostly the only things going down that drain are bubble bath and whatever grime comes off the kids.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Not for nothing but my old man was a plumber. I cleared a clogged tub once with a shop vac. It stunk like shit. When I told him what I did he called me a moron and said I was lucky it didn't explode. The shit smell was methane, methane can go boom

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think smaller hose/tubing is the key. You've got to get to it. Once you get it moving at all I think it'll go. You've got to erode the dam. Sounds to me like there's probably a bottle of drano sitting there dammed up. You need to be careful.
+1
An aerosol product that uses compressed air to unclog drains is very clear not to use it if drain openers have been used unsuccessfully.
Make sure to wear gloves and eye protection before doing anything that could create a backsplash, and if successful with the shop-vac, dump it where the kids/pets won't get into the sand.

For the time being, since it is draining slowly, I'd try to flush as much of the drain opener out with clear water as possible.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
PSA:
Take my word on this.
Shaving gel? What am I? A woman??

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Pop has already said it but I just want to reiterate the care you need to use now that there is drano in there.

The internet says you can dissolve sand with a shitload of aspirin tablets and deionized water, but it’ll take a while. Might be worth a try with a bunch of cheap dollar store aspirin. Not sure how this mixes safely with drano so I will assume it doesn’t. Be careful!

Latest Threads