I can't believe I need to ask this...

PeteK

Reaction score
But what happens when a bunch of sand goes down a bathtub drain? Long story short, my kids are hellions and a bunch of sand ended up in the bathtub. A fair amount went down the drain before I knew about it. Now the tub drains really slow and draino doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions other than selling my kids and replumbing the whole friggin house? :dunno:

Zungle

Reaction score
Hey Pete,

It could be any number of things .........do not use massive pressure to try and clear it.

Is the bathroom on 1st or second story ?

And is drainage problem isolated to the tub, or ,has it affected other area's of house.....?

PeteK

Reaction score
Shop vac the sand out, or garden hose it down.
Yeah I vacuumed out what I could. No idea how much went down the drain though. I think maybe one beach sand buckets worth. I ran a whole jug of Drano down and a tub full of hot water. It drains but it's pretty slow

PeteK

Reaction score
Hey Pete,

It could be any number of things .........do not use massive pressure to try and clear it.

Is the bathroom on 1st or second story ?

And is drainage problem isolated to the tub, or ,has it affected other area's of house.....?
1st floor. The sink in there has always drained slow and it's no worse. I haven't noticed any issues elsewhere.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep... It's in the trap.
If you're not on a slab (or it's on the 2nd floor) and you have access, remove the trap and dump it out.
Drain-o works on grease and hair clogs, but not on sand.

Try the shop-vac first... better to get it out than to flush it, you will need to block the overflow.
Worst case, brute force to flush it down... again, block the overflow.

Lungo

Reaction score
Is this a downstairs bathroom? If so, can you get to the drain from a basement or crawl space? If the drain has a trap in it then it could be full of sand.

Lex

Reaction score
Sand in the P-trap? The head pressure of the tub/shower faucet is likely not strong enough to force sand out of the trap.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And hopefully its not glued PVC ;)

How far down are you able to get the hose from the shop-vac?
I know the plastic fitting won't fit, but if you can run a smaller hose that's closer to the side of the pipe, you stand a better chance.

Run the hose down the overflow... that should be a straight shot into the trap, the regular drain has a 90 degree turn under the overflow.

TubDrain.jpg

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Did you beat the kids yet?

It's no biggie. Worst case it occludes some small percentage of the throughput. I wouldn't worry about it until it backs up.

Zungle

Reaction score
Where I was going .......

It could be trap......but if thats the case the blockage is likely a combo of sand,sludge and hair.....

Another thing I've run across is a jammed/broken trip lever plunger.......pain in ass to fix. (can be)

I'd start with one of these.......

66AE195F-42BA-407D-8822-780ADD5D84BF.jpeg

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea... if there's enough hair beyond the sand (eww!) the ripper/zipper could drag out enough sand with the hair to get the job done.

I replaced my drain assembly last year with one with a larger shoe. It started running slow... then I realized that I had not snugged up the jam nut on the overflow sleeve.
First hint was that I could not raise the trip lever high enough to cam over and stay up.

Pulled the trip lever, raised the sleeve an inch and snugged it down... thing doesn't back up a bit even with the tub spout running full bore.

But I still lift the screen and run one of those rippers through the drain and into the trap every couple of months.

PeteK

Reaction score
Where I was going .......

It could be trap......but if thats the case the blockage is likely a combo of sand,sludge and hair.....

Another thing I've run across is a jammed/broken trip lever plunger.......pain in ass to fix. (can be)

I'd start with one of these.......

View attachment 543591
I'll have to pick one up at the hardware store tomorrow. Good suggestion. Thanks

PeteK

Reaction score
And hopefully its not glued PVC ;)

How far down are you able to get the hose from the shop-vac?
I know the plastic fitting won't fit, but if you can run a smaller hose that's closer to the side of the pipe, you stand a better chance.

Run the hose down the overflow... that should be a straight shot into the trap, the regular drain has a 90 degree turn under the overflow.

View attachment 543589
I didn't really try to stick the hose down the drain. I just meant I vacuumed up all the other sand in the tub

Latest Threads