I can’t make a Fender sound good I guess? Lol

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I dunno, I guess not everyone is made to play Hendrix tunes other than on the radio lol. Such a slave to routine… LPs and SGs

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah! One needs to buy from WD or Allparts to get one nowadays it seems, although AFAIK Fender did stock some until recently. Not sure if those are still available though...
I don't know about the Vintera line, which replaced the Classic/Classic Player, but the "Classic" line from Mexico retained the 7.5

I'm really surprised the American Original went to 9.5. It is supposed to be a 50s style... down to the PIO tone cap, but I guess "style" doesn't extend to the neck.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Vintera '50s Tele has a 7.25" radius and an early '50s U shape but the Vintera '50s Tele Modified has a 9.5" radius and a Modern C shape.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I think the reason for the 9.5 on the American originals is because probably sales…. Their sales would take a hit with a 7.25 radius.. just my thoughts anyhow. It’s not as flat as a lot of modern styled guitars but not quite the full on vintage 7.25…

And I read that the American original line is about to be replaced (renamed) soon with something else that’s pretty much the same..

brianbzed

Reaction score
About a month ago I bought a barely used KWS USA signature Stratocaster.. always loved strat tones. Between guys like Hendrix, SRV, and Capton.. there’s lots of motivation..

I dunno if it’s just the difference in scale length or not. When playing my LP or SG back to back with the Fender.. it’s like my skill level drops back to my first couple of years of playing would be one way I would put it.. my muscle memory is all out of wack lol. When I play the other two guitars, you can tell I’ve been playing for several years (25+ years which makes me feel super old lol)

Maybe my hands just don’t jive with Fenders?. I’ve played some mega chunky LPs before and had zero trouble with them. This has a neck comparable to a 60s slim taper in thickness… I worked last night and I haven’t really slept yet so this may sound scatterbrained. I just can’t play them nearly as cleanly as my two Gibsons.. I dunno..

it’s setup great.. low action and no buzz..

May just sell it and live with the fact that my hands prefer the G brand in feel. :dunno:
Scale length, in a nut shell. After 40+ years of playing, I still have the same issue! Gibson scale length is effortless...Fender scale takes WORK...IMHO

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I think the reason for the 9.5 on the American originals is because probably sales…. Their sales would take a hit with a 7.25 radius.. just my thoughts anyhow. It’s not as flat as a lot of modern styled guitars but not quite the full on vintage 7.25…
Which is typical of Fender
And I read that the American original line is about to be replaced (renamed) soon with something else that’s pretty much the same..
Which is typical of Fender :rofl: :rofl:

American Performer ~= American Special = Highway One

Ya, the performer had some notable upgrades, but the only real change on the previous two models was the mid-cycle change to the large headstock on the Highway One.
My American Special neck (2017) is even marked "Highway One", despite the model being replaced 5 years earlier.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Scale length, in a nut shell. After 40+ years of playing, I still have the same issue! Gibson scale length is effortless...Fender scale takes WORK...IMHO
It's really not that much different.
The tension difference is about the same as about halfway between string gauges. Tuning down 1/2 step is quite a bit more.
But there is a noticeable difference in stretch on the lower frets. I can make a 2-7 stretch on a Gibson, but I'd not want to plan to do it consistently on a Fender.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yeah, I hadn't played a strat for 35 years when I decided I wanted one again. And yes, I felt the same way, like I was back to being a new guitarist. You just have to stick it out and get used to it again. And play it regularly so you don't backslide.

However, I have all kinds of trouble too with the 7.25" radius! I actually miss strings when I'm picking. The G&L I had had a 12" radius, which helped a lot. And now I have a 9.5" radius neck strat and I'm ok.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I admit I bought a Vintera '50s Tele because I wanted a '50s tele without buying a reissue. And it has all the bits from roughly mid '54, including the 7.25" radius. I'm OK with it. The action just needs to be a bit higher than some other guitars, but it doesn't fret out. The only change I made to it was swapping on a black Bakelite guard, but I have a set of compensated brass saddles for it in the case.

It is quite the curve, wot?

full

full

jbash

Reaction score
I can’t make a Fender sound good I guess?

No worries, neither can Clapton.

I went through a long phase of Vintage style strats and teles only, and I not only needed to approach playing the instrument differently, my approach to the amp and speakers had to be completely changed from what I like and use with my Gibson style instruments. When I I eventually went back to Gibson, the re-learning and selling off/buying new began all over again.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I admit I bought a Vintera '50s Tele because I wanted a '50s tele without buying a reissue. And it has all the bits from roughly mid '54, including the 7.25" radius. I'm OK with it. The action just needs to be a bit higher than some other guitars, but it doesn't fret out. The only change I made to it was swapping on a black Bakelite guard, but I have a set of compensated brass saddles for it in the case.

It is quite the curve, wot?

full

full
It's really comfy.
The only problem with it is hard bends tend to fret out if you play with low action. It's one reason players like SRV and Gilmour run relatively high action.

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
My four Fenders are all MIJ vintage models from the mid- to late-80s, and all have 7.5” radius.

In many ways, it’s kinda what I grew up with. I’ve never had any obvious problem with big bends or fretting-out and I don’t have particularly high action. The scale length was consistent with my acoustics so that never really bothered me too much

If anything, I had to get used to going the other way and moving from Fender scale and proportions to Lester scale. I enjoy both and although I’ve had Lesters for about seven years now, I’m still experimenting with string gauges and setups.

It does take a little effort and practice to adjust the muscle memory and get back into the zone from Fender to Gibson and back again, but no worse than moving across to acoustic or 12-string or a big ol’ Epiphone archtop with a mahoosive tree trunk of a neck!

NJDevil

Reaction score
If a person can't work a Fender spec neck then then they better run from acoustic guitars.

IMHO.
How is that? Acoustic guitar necks, unless Guild and a couple Yamahas I played, are the beefiest necks of the bunch. My Taylor is 1.75" wide at the nuut and thicker than my 2014 LP Traditional which is .90" thick at the first fret.

A standard Strat neck profile is really the pure reverse of most acoustic neck profiles.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
How is that? Acoustic guitar necks, unless Guild and a couple Yamahas I played, are the beefiest necks of the bunch. My Taylor is 1.75" wide at the nuut and thicker than my 2014 LP Traditional which is .90" thick at the first fret.

A standard Strat neck profile is really the pure reverse of most acoustic neck profiles.

That's my point as also referenced in post #52 of this thread.

If the OP is having trouble migrating so much from a Gibson to Fender feel then going to acoustic guitars is going to be a nightmare.

budg

Reaction score
I have 4 Fenders and 3 Gibson’s. I don’t have a problem switching. Bends took me a bit of practice , but eventually I got it . I have radius from 7.25 to 16 with my Martins. What throws me off is nut width .

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You adapt, learn and become a better, more expressive and complete player when you learn to play different necks, fretboard radii, scale lengths and pickup types.

Good point.... I just pick one of mine up and play it.... I don't have inclination to think neck contours, etc...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rotate all my guitars through two Herc stands.... They all get played... Takes a while but I do... No two guitars feel/sound identical.... I don't think about it.... I guess when my hands feel it they remember...

If you play a Lester for a couple months straight, then pick up a Tele, Skrat, PRS, or a ZimGar, your brain is gonna do a DUH or two but then it'll catch on if you just play it...

Toughest thing for a Strat/Tele player playing a Lester is 'too damn dark'....
Toughest thing for a Lester player playing a Skrat/Tele is 'too damn bright'....

Gotta play em for a while to get used to it... Learning the knobbery on each AND learning to adjust your amp for such...

No different than hand a P-Bass player used to his old ass flats on it, a Jazz Bass loaded with Rotosounds.... or vice-versa....

...or playing a Champ/Princeton/DRev and going to a Boogie from hell.... or vice-versa.... Takes a while...

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
I rotate all my guitars through two Herc stands.... They all get played... Takes a while but I do... No two guitars feel/sound identical.... I don't think about it.... I guess when my hands feel it they remember...

If you play a Lester for a couple months straight, then pick up a Tele, Skrat, PRS, or a ZimGar, your brain is gonna do a DUH or two but then it'll catch on if you just play it...

Toughest thing for a Strat/Tele player playing a Lester is 'too damn dark'....
Toughest thing for a Lester player playing a Skrat/Tele is 'too damn bright'....

Gotta play em for a while to get used to it... Learning the knobbery on each AND learning to adjust your amp for such...

No different than hand a P-Bass player used to his old ass flats on it, a Jazz Bass loaded with Rotosounds.... or vice-versa....

...or playing a Champ/Princeton/DRev and going to a Boogie from hell.... or vice-versa.... Takes a while...
ZimGar?!? Wow I haven't seen or heard about another one of those since I was about 14 lol. My buddy, who was a natural born guitarist, had one that he loved. But it felt really awful to me... I could never figure out how he could play it lol

Best I can recall, it was this one or something very similar...

zim-gar-stuart-spector-interview-1.jpg

Reactions: ehb

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
As for switching between guitars... I don't have a problem, even though my guitars are all quite different from one another. I just don't think about it and the differences are barely noticeable.

There was one exception though, I had an Aria Legend Strat copy that I couldn't play. The strings never seemed to be where I put my fingers, or my pick :laugh2: Never did figure that one out lol Weird!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
ZimGar?!? Wow I haven't seen or heard about another one of those since I was about 14 lol. My buddy, who was a natural born guitarist, had one that he loved. But it felt really awful to me... I could never figure out how he could play it lol

Best I can recall, it was this one or something very similar...

View attachment 572478

ZimGars, Teiscos (which covered about a gillion different brands), etc., loved them damn switches and knobs...

Not bad guitars at the time.... Gotta remember, 50s & 60s, folks played what what they had access to and could afford.... At that time, those guitars were not 'weird'.....

I always liked some of em and they played/sounded great... Not junk.... I liked what I called the 'screen door' pickups...

Funny how things circle back. You see more and more variations on those old school pickups showing up....

Tech that works for me has an old MINT Teisco with a peghead that looks like the state of TN, all hog....Dense/heavy/ and plays/sounds unreal.... I'd buy it but he won't sell it.... Killer guitar...

Latest Threads