I can’t make a Fender sound good I guess? Lol

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try down tune half step, then put a capo in the first fret. That gets it close to Les Paul scale.
Actually, tuning down 1/2 step put it at the same scale as the Brian May Red Special... even shorter than a Gibson.

Yes... the increased string tension from the longer scale is likely the source of the frustration.
I used to run 9's on my Fenders and 10's on my Gibsons, but eventually went to 9-46 for everything.
It maintains good tension when tuned down to D without being too floppy, but reduces the tension on the treble strings which tend to "bite" my old fingers.

Zungle

Reaction score
Well, it depends on whether you want to expand your talent as a musician, or whether you want to give up the minute that something miniscule is in your path.
For those of us who have many guitar styles, its all about upskilling ourselves. You adapt, learn and become a better, more expressive and complete player when you learn to play different necks, fretboard radii, scale lengths and pickup types.
Maybe this is just beyond some people.

Yeah.....beyond some people.

:rolleyes:

sonar1

Reaction score

I dunno if it’s just the difference in scale length or not. When playing my LP or SG back to back with the Fender.. it’s like my skill level drops back to my first couple of years of playing would be one way I would put it.. my muscle memory is all out of wack lol. When I play the other two guitars, you can tell I’ve been playing for several years (25+ years which makes me feel super old lol)

Maybe my hands just don’t jive with Fenders?. I’ve played some mega chunky LPs before and had zero trouble with them. This has a neck comparable to a 60s slim taper in thickness… I worked last night and I haven’t really slept yet so this may sound scatterbrained. I just can’t play them nearly as cleanly as my two Gibsons.. I dunno..

it’s setup great.. low action and no buzz..

May just sell it and live with the fact that my hands prefer the G brand in feel. :dunno:

After playing a lot of Gibson scale, and not playing Fender for a while, I have to adjust.
Takes 10 or 15 minutes for normalization to kick in.
But because I played Telecasters for a long time, it’s like the old bicycle bit: just takes a few minutes.

I refuse to be punked by a guitar!
Used to switch between saxes: Alto - tenor - Baritone. Bari takes more air!

Guitars don’t need any air at all ever (unless you’re doing something wrong)! :dude:

Last edited:

Soulloud

Reaction score
I would urge you not to give up on the strat. Soon you will go from strat to les Paul without even noticing. There are fantastic tones to be found with both that I would hate to miss out on. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Deftone

Reaction score
For me it was the body wood. For what I do, I don't like the sound of ash or alder, especially with single coils. My 1st Gibson was an '84 Explorer made of Alder. Hated it. Bought a '76 reissue Explorer made of Mahogany, loved it. That led me to Les Pauls.

I also like Basswood. I have a Charvel Model series with a Basswood body and a 25.5 scale, so it wasn't the scale for me.

So I built a (Charvel necked) Strat with a Mahogany body and I loved it. Built another out of Basswood, loved it. And a Tele out of Mahogany with a Maple cap. Love it.

I love Strat tone in the hands of Hendrix, SRV, Eric Johnson, etc... but I'm a very basic, one dimensional hobbyist guitar player and I just can't make strats or Teles sound very good.

YMMV

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Over the last week and a half I kept the Gibsons in the case and played only the Fender.. except for last nights comparison.. After a little time I do get more used to it but I can’t play it as cleanly as I do my others..

There is some truth to fighting vs playing it..

This is some noodles with my little spark amp recorded direct via USB

diavolo

Reaction score
i was thinking about this thread the other day.
typically i play strats, (i know this is a Les Paul forum) but yesterday i played my Les Paul and it was AWESOME!!!
haha i forgot how good of a guitar it is. i never really felt a vibe with it before. yesterday was kind of magic.
its totally true that i was playing it and not fighting it.

its strange how the small differences in sizes and shapes take some getting used to

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
Don’t give up! I grew up playing Fender scale but moving over to Gibson scale was a revelation! I still have three guitars at Fender length, and it trips me up for the first 5 min but I adapt. I use Elixr 9s on Gibson scale (love that coating!) and Rev. Willy’s 8s on my Fender length. Have two packs of String Joy 8s ready to try out next.

diavolo

Reaction score
i switch between guitars often.
i have a bunch of strats i play most, (25.5.) but also pick up my 24" scale mustang a lot. makes my little hands feel not so small.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Hendrix used 8’s. Lots of guys did back then. Iommi cut his teeth (sorry bad pun) on a Strat with super light banjo strings since they didn’t even have light gauge strings back then. Both downtuned.

Stick with it, and you’ll find how it works for you. Super moddable players Axe- It’s a great instrument!

I like them with HBs or Fenders later G&L models, the Comanche in particular which has ZCoil pickups. Not really a Strat I guess but kind of. Many players mod them unless going for a specific retro sound, or will mod them in order to.

Single coils can do really well with Fuzz and or Treble Booster pedals (a misnomer really) if you like distortion.

jimmer_5

Reaction score
Don’t give up! It’s an adjustment going from a Les Paul to a Strat, for sure. After years of not having one, it took me some time to adjust to the Fender scale length. One magic solution I’ve found is the Ernie Ball 9.5 gauge set. It’s a set that is in-between 9’s and 10’s. I can’t play a Strat or a Jazzmaster with 9’s (too loose) but the 9.5 is a nice compromise that makes it easier to -lay the longer scale.

I also find that I just play differently with a Fender guitar - more finky / bluesy, and I enjoy moderate gain sounds more. That being said, I also tend to turn the gain up a little more than I would with humbuckers, just to give the single coils a bit more balls.

Once you get used to it, a Strat is a wonderful departure from the Gibson sound. Like taking a vacation. I also like a Stwrt with a Humbucker in the bridge sometimes. It still sounds like a Strat, but with more twin and girth for rock rhythm.

mhr900ss

Reaction score
My story: I have a bunch of guitars but my go-to has always been my old Les Paul Custom with 008-038 strings. Earlier this year I was away from home for 3 months and the plan was to buy a cheap something to have a guitar to play then give it to one of my kids when I got home. Instead I found an oddity for sale, a 2020 EOB Strat, never been set-up, on consignment so a reasonable price. Weird thing: really fat neck, longer scale length (already hve a EBMM Majesty so no biggie). After playing the Strat for 3 months, I returned home and it was my LPC that felt weird for a little while. I keep my favourite guitars on stands and flip-flop between them all the time. They are all very different but it really takes seconds to get used to each one after playing another. Perseverance wins!
strat lp.jpg

NJDevil

Reaction score
I’d have a hard time wanting to drop that kind of money on a custom neck for a guitar that already cost me $1900 lol the bound neck and inlays is what drawn me to this one.. guess I’m just not a strat guy
I'm going on 32 years of playing and until '09, always owned just Strats. I needed a change as I was stuck in a deep 2+ year rut of very inconsistent playing......that's not good during gigs for classic, rock and Texas Blues-heavy material..... alot of SRV, Johnny Winter, Copeland, Collins, etc....

I also noticed my playing improved when I picked up other guitars....especially LPs and Gretsches.

The issue may not be the longer scale. I have small hands and that never bothered me. The issue is the narrow width of the necks....42mm at the nut paired with a thin profile. I have an SRV Strat that is supposed to be one of the thickest profiles Fender made/makes. I bought a Gretsch Black Phoenix in '09 and the rest is history. The wider width and thicker profiles was the magic that changed everything.

You and so many of us fight the Strat because the narrow profile requires closer string spacing and more precise dexterity with the fingers. I do play rhythm, but mostly lead and solo work. The Gretsch thick hollow body bothers some but not me.....however, once I started buying and now own 3 LPs, my skills improved exponentially. I was no longer fighting the Strat. I do like the semi-hollow Eastman line and work well for more of my jazz soloing and "difficult" chords as those models are 1.75" wide at the nut.

My bought a custom made Tele from a small luthier in May....1.70" wide at the nut and the medium profile roasted maple was made "beefier" with the thick slab of ebony as the fretboard.

I also just bought a used but mint '06 Fender Highway 1 model Strat. Killer tone with Alnico 3s and a medium neck profile with the wider 1.69" width at the nut.

It's amazing how much the width and profile and help us really play vs. fight the guitar.

eu6h1tmjvgpdfu1tfem7.jpg

Fender 2006 Hoghway 1_2.jpg

msalama

Reaction score
vary the strap length

Some guitars do indeed need this, but Teles and LPs IME do not. I'm using the same strap for both and it works just fine, although I did use a longer strap with the Pauls for awhile. But that didn't work at all, so I just went back to the old tried-and-trusty...

wildhawk1

Reaction score
If a person can't work a Fender spec neck then then they better run from acoustic guitars.

IMHO.

Last edited:

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't pretend to be on a level worthy of offering you any technical advice. Researching that particular model, it looks pretty top shelf in every category. Unless you just aren't drawn to the 7.25, if you're gonna have a strat, that sure looks like one to have. I like what you're doing with giving it your attention for a good run. If you're not in a huge hurry, I'd say finish out this run, put it away and let it rest for a while, pull it out again and give it another run. That's changed my opinion a few times. Had that "what was I thinking" thing happen. I've had some really nice ones not make the team and some lessor ones make the team. To me it simply comes down to some of em call you, some of em don't. Enjoyed your playing!!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't pretend to be on a level worthy of offering you any technical advice. Researching that particular model, it looks pretty top shelf in every category. Unless you just aren't drawn to the 7.25, if you're gonna have a strat, that sure looks like one to have. I like what you're doing with giving it your attention for a good run. If you're not in a huge hurry, I'd say finish out this run, put it away and let it rest for a while, pull it out again and give it another run. That's changed my opinion a few times. Had that "what was I thinking" thing happen. I've had some really nice ones not make the team and some lessor ones make the team. To me it simply comes down to some of em call you, some of em don't. Enjoyed your playing!!
The tight radius is rare these days.
Most production models are 9.5", even the "American Original" which is supposed to be a faithful tribute to the original 50s and 60s models. The 50s model does still have the "V" neck, but even then, it's the "soft V" and not the classic Gomez V.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but I don't notice scale length when playing. I'll pick up my SG or my L6S, play, then go to one of the many Ibanez's I own, play, and it feels somewhat the same. I notice the string tension is different, but it doesn't phase me in the slightest, nor does it affect my playing style. (Which is shitty at best.)

msalama

Reaction score
The tight radius is rare these days.

Yeah! One needs to buy from WD or Allparts to get one nowadays it seems, although AFAIK Fender did stock some until recently. Not sure if those are still available though...

Latest Threads