I Can’t Believe I’m Saying This...

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
In very short time since the shakeup at Gibson, it looks like there’s hope!

This is the kind of stuff that I think they should have been building for years...

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/SG-Special-2019.aspx#SGSP19FPCH1

This SG in PB is pure money. Plus a hardshell at a reasonable price of $1499 ($2499 shown is an error... saw it on Sweetwater for the $1499).

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/The-Paul-40th-Anniversary-2019.aspx

I’m not a huge fan of this model, but it’s a step in the right direction. Once again, with a hardshell.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/listing/gibson-usa-sg-standard-walnut-wtortoise-pickguard-t-type-pickups-cme-exclusive-pre-order/16415651

Another with a cool 70s vibe featuring “T=Type” pickups. Interesting.

Bottom line: They’re embracing some heritage and taking the right type of risks. I’m actually quite exited for 2019 and 2020.

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that.
That Special SG looks awfully cool.

Can it really be from the "After Henry" management?
Maybe the business men had a few Focus Groups?
Anyway. I like the choice of the new CEO.
We'll see what he brings to the mix.

Last edited:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bin eyeballin' those SG Specials on the Long & McQuade site. Fortunately, L&M doesn't charge full exchange rate on the US dollar, so the SG is priced at a still doable $1700 ($1970 at full exchange) and is actually cheaper here in terms of US dollars if you exchange the other way, about $1300.

I have never had an SG and that's the one I'd buy, but I'm holding out for an '18 Explorer.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I admit, when I saw the mahogany SG I actually said "Oh my god" out loud. Because it's pretty much exactly the SG that I made as my first guitar body project. I replaced the plywood body on my first guitar, an SG copy, with a mahogany body I made and the color was just about like that one pictured. It triggered some memories.

I really like those guitars. They mark a return to simple classics that I guarantee will sell if their quality is good.

Personally I think the best thing that could possibly happen to Gibson would be for it to be taken over and run by Paul Reed Smith. He'd bring Gibson's guitars up to the quality level that a Gibson SHOULD have.

PierM

Reaction score
Personally I think the best thing that could possibly happen to Gibson would be for it to be taken over and run by Paul Reed Smith. He'd bring Gibson's guitars up to the quality level that a Gibson SHOULD have.
If you mean to apply their quality control over the Gibson standard pipeline, would be great, but you already have the Custom Shop for that, and you pay for it.
If you mean to apply their style and design/contruction approach over Gibson heritage, no thanks!

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I am of course referring to quality control. To include improved production techniques. Not design changes.

Gibson should be making the quality guitars that inspired Paul Reed Smith. Every guitar they make should be that good.

Nobody really questions that PRS is the highest quality large scale guitar manufacturer today. Even many boutique builders struggle to consistently match PRS' level of fit and finish.

Gibson's quality, on the other hand...I've seen Custom Shop instruments that would not have passed PRS quality control standards for their regular line instruments.

GS1

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! I have almost pulled the trigger on an SG Special so many times, but never have. That Pelham blue is calling my name...

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Compared to what? An American built Fender is $1500 with poly finish and a bolt on neck.
Godin, Yamaha, ESP, Eastwood, Reverend, many others. And I'm looking at those models in CDN$$$. Way better offers out there.

Last edited:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
You're right. These manufacturers sell overpriced Asian built guitars. Like Reverend with their $1100 Korean built line. Good point.
Godin is Canadian. I could not care less where the others are built. I'd be looking at those before Gibson.

Latest Threads