I am on strike or am I?

kevinpaul

Reaction score
All the proffers at all of the State University's went on strike today. I did not know and being my long class day I was in early. The lines were not up yet. I am in a union the AMA, they are Teamsters. I have people who spent nearly a half of million dollars on this deal. I have worked with most of these students from day one. I am going to work, the people that sit in my classroom count to me.
A history teacher that needs more money is not on my dance card. How do you feel? Am I a scab? Tell me what you think. I need to hear, I only talked to my self.

Attachments

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All the proffers at all of the State University's went on strike today. I did not know and being my long class day I was in early. The lines were not up yet. I am in a union the AMA, they are Teamsters. I have people who spent nearly a half of million dollars on this deal. I have worked with most of these students from day one. I am going to work, the people that sit in my classroom count to me.
A history teacher that needs more money is not on my dance card. How do you feel? Am I a scab? Tell me what you think. I need to hear, I only talked to my self.
Well, the way I understand it, if you're a card-carrying Teamster, and a Teamster-organized group is on strike, then so are you.

I'm not endorsing one way or the other. I'm just opining of how I was instructed.

sk8rat

Reaction score
I think I get what you are saying. you are going to continue to teach your class despite the strike because screwing over students is the biggest thing that will come out of the strike.

if so good on you and shame on those who become teachers and act like they don't know what they are getting into then screw over those who they are are supposed to be helping.

if a teacher had a dollar for every time they b*tched about their wage, they would be billionaires.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
1)Not all of us b*tch about our compensation. Many of us went in to the profession out of a passion to teach, knowing that we were not going to make what other professions make.

2)I've never had to face that (a strike), but I have always felt as though I would go and teach regardless--after all, when I sign my contract, I am agreeing to the stipulations therein. I'm not sure that teachers in my district can strike anyway.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I am not a Teamster, they are local 249. My union is the AMA and when I spoke to the local guy he did not even know that strike was on. I call a national office and they have no position on this. I know not one person in this labor problem.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unions started in the right place and continued right past the middle ground, where nobody won but nobody lost and both sides put a close to equal amount of skin in the game, to equally as far out of whack as when they started.

I'd go postal DAILY where my wife works. Entitled paycheck collectors that make a career out of doing the absolute least they can and then pump hours their last two years pay to inflate their lifetime pension.

And why property taxes are $10K for small houses in mediocre neighborhoods on the decline. (Long Island, NY) Pensions outweigh the working salaries and it's getting worse.

Maybe I shouldn't have an opinion. My experience leaves me bitter when I never had the luxury to screw up and still have a job and get paid so much for so little.

Follow your heart Kevinpaul. Just don't get yer ass kicked.

Although some school districts here have migrated to Union Free School Districts. Hopefully a trend that will go to completion. Something's gotta give.

sk8rat

Reaction score
1)Not all of us b*tch about our compensation. Many of us went in to the profession out of a passion to teach, knowing that we were not going to make what other professions make.
I was just generalizing of course. I know not all teachers complain. I had many teachers that made poor wages but never brought it up once and were great educators. mean while I had other teachers that spent the entire class "discussing" (really just one sided complaining :laugh2:) how they deserved more pay regularly.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Hold the line. The kids aren't missing meals. They'll survive. When it's over, explain that it's management's fault and let the world spin round. This is the game They play with Us. As long as you're not asking for something unreasonable, you should ask for as much as possible. It's not a charity for Them, right? Non-profit??
Well, then. Get your piece.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just generalizing of course. I know not all teachers complain. I had many teachers that made poor wages but never brought it up once and were great educators. mean while I had other teachers that spent the entire class "discussing" (really just one sided complaining :laugh2:) how they deserved more pay regularly.
No problem. Sometimes I get a little hypersensitive because it frequently feels like teachers are "the enemy" Too many snake-oil sellers telling us everything we do wrong and how their snake-oil is going to solve all of education's ills. And we become stuck with it...until the next bandwagon comes along (usually 3-5 years later).

It's sad, actually unethical, for educators to be unloading their problems and biases on their students. My students always wanted to know who I voted for and what my political party was, which I always declined to reveal. I frequently found myself on the "opposing" political side in class discussion when I tried to redirect a 1-sided opinionated class in the other direction.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a Teamster, they are local 249. My union is the AMA and when I spoke to the local guy he did not even know that strike was on. I call a national office and they have no position on this. I know not one person in this labor problem.
OK KevinBonesPaul, repeat after me.....

Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor, Not a ____________ (Be creative)

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Wait... It's not your union on strike???
Then make coffee and start molding minds. That's my take.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
OK KevinBonesPaul, repeat after me.....

Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor, Not a ____________ (Be creative)
Egg McMuffin. Keith my friend that was damn confusing. Things don't seem to fit just put some hair around it and give it another shot!
The photo below, am I in trouble? Joke, she never even got my plat numbers. I left by taxi.

Attachments

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
What's the strike about? Not enough people getting tenure? I just read on it a bit and looks like the Universities have already agreed to a 12% pay raise. That seems reasonable

sk8rat

Reaction score
Egg McMuffin. Keith my friend that was damn confusing. Things don't seem to fit just put some hair around it and give it another shot!
The photo below, am I in trouble? Joke, she never even got my plat numbers. I left by taxi.
:shock: :laugh2:

kevinpaul

Reaction score
What's the strike about? Not enough people getting tenure? I just read on it a bit and looks like the Universities have already agreed to a 12% pay raise. That seems reasonable
I am not sure, they have a list. The part time people are and always have been messed with. I don't know any of them. My building is off campus. All the state schools are involved. I wonder what is going on at Hersey? Penn Stats med school. They are far away from the university.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a pillow under that dress.... She looks like a he.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Since you're not a Teamster, you're under no obligation to strike.

Don't be surprised if your classes are temporarily cancelled by the admins as they deal with the strike, though.

--R

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
if a teacher had a dollar for every time they b*tched about their wage, they would be billionaires.
I was raised by teachers. My mother was a teacher, my father a teacher and a coach, my grandmother a teacher and my sister is currently a teacher.

I never heard any of them bitch about their wages. Not in my entire life.

Latest Threads