I almost lost my NYE gig...almost...

The_Sentry

Reaction score
:laugh2:

Well, that was interesting. Backstory: A venue operator hired my band for NYE. They were going to charge a 10 dollar cover and pay us half the cover. Well, some of her regulars were balking about the cover.

So...she decided to drop the cover..and publicly announced that my band was going to show up and play for FREE...without calling us first, or even talking to us about it.

Uh...no. :laugh2:

I all but pulled out of the show. I got some angry phone calls. We renegociated. Bottom Line: No matter what you play for....whatever arrangements you have with a venue should not be made public. That's like an employer publicly posting the salaries of all of their employees. I bit her head off hard for that. I don't give a rat's ass if I'm ever invited back there, either.

As it is this area is struggling, and musicians have been in a race to the bottom as far as what they can make off of a venue. The guys in my band were pissed too, but I told them that playing that gig, once it was announced like that would not only screw the band (that would be the wage we'd be stuck with), but it would also screw over every other band tryin' to make coin up in this area.

A lot of times solo acoustic guys will show up and do tips...yeah, whatever. Band? Different story. Too much rehearsal time, too much equipment.

So...there's a story. I almost...lost my NYE gig. But no band should be forced to play for free. If you're in this position, don't do it.

Peace.

venijake

Reaction score
I'm confused.... Are you getting paid, or for free?

dave b

Reaction score
Glad you didn't lose the gig and the paycheck, Sen. My audience tonight is two 9y/o boys and a cockatiel.:laugh2: That was a seriously shitty thing for her to do. Hard to fathom people, sometime.:dunno: Have a good one

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Glad you didn't lose the gig and the paycheck, Sen. My audience tonight is two 9y/o boys and a cockatiel.:laugh2: That was a seriously shitty thing for her to do. Hard to fathom people, sometime.:dunno: Have a good one

I think people just sort of put musicians in this different category, you know? I don't see how it's any different than hiring anyone else to do something. It's not like she'd hire an electrician and then publicly announce to her friends he'd be workin' for free. :laugh2:

6stringelectric

Reaction score
I've heard of some pretty shady deals for bands these days, but that's absolutely terrible. No matter what deal they made with you, they certainly shouldn't be trying to change it without at the very least asking you first.

Good to hear you got it worked out, and I hope the gig goes well.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I've heard of some pretty shady deals for bands these days, but that's absolutely terrible. No matter what deal they made with you, they certainly shouldn't be trying to change it without at the very least asking you first.

Good to hear you got it worked out, and I hope the gig goes well.

Thanks, I hope so too. Outside of showing up to an open jam this is going to be my last show in this area where I'm playing at for a good 3 or 4 months. (Which to point: Nope, don't really give a damn if I get booked back or not. I'm already moving on...)

Latest Threads