I’m on cloud nine.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
That kind of shit screwed my mother in law. She just retired from the FD. Worked in the office for shit money. She can't collect any social security because of "anti windfall" protection.
I don't endorse it. Just pointing it out. I'll probably bang his ex...

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll probably be dead before I can ever retire, so screw it. Might as well kick up my heels and live a little!

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I’ll probably be dead before I can ever retire, so screw it. Might as well kick up my heels and live a little!
I retired at 32 and hated it. I went back to work. I will work until I die. However, I may have a better mix of work and pleasure as I mature.

defcrew

Reaction score
What is this pension thing you all speak of?

Out of curiosity, why is the state offering earlier retirement? Is it cheaper for them to pay that and get higher salaried veteran workers off the payroll?

Anyway, congrats. That's quite a shot in the arm.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great news. That is a long time in a demanding job like you have .

My older brother kept putting off his retirement from the Army, saying he might as well promote and get a better pension. Then accepted to stay on longer due to circumstances abroad .

Finally he had to retire after serving approx 37 years .

But oh no, he chose to stay on as a civilian working for the British MOD.

It’s all he knows, It’s not for the
money, i think he just doesn’t know how to be outside of military life .

My sister in law is pushing him to finally retire properly. I believe he has agreed to this now .

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Damn, you got over pretty good there! :applause:

High risk percentage and only 25 years for retirement has been a Florida package since I've been around, but I only did 8+ years as a cop and so wound up having to pull the entire 30 to get the state pension...

I honestly didn't mind the extra five as a civilian-- dunno if I would have come to a happy end if I did the whole 25 as a cop... :hmm:

Being a cop absolutely sucks ass. It's truly remarkable just how lousy a job it is! :laugh2:

When you first showed up here and I learned what agency you were working for, I started looking at stats for your department and the city itself... and I quickly realized that you were working in a real shithole, just as bad as Daytona Beach.

Not easy to be a cop in such places... and so I started to feel a bit of sympathy before I ever got as far as begin reading local stories...

and then I finally discovered Ol' J.R.... :laugh2:

Holy shit, working for somebody like him had to be like... whoa... :laugh2:

And so I'm very happy to know you're getting an earlier-than-expected out.

Those 4 years are gonna fly, man... you'll be surprised. Poof, over!

Oh, I've wanted to tell you this for a while now:

A while back you posted a list of *really stupid* comments that your local dingbats tend to parrot incessantly when you show up casually, like while walking into a convenience store. I roared with laughter as you recounted that in fact, these dorks say all this same shit over and over-- but always seem to believe they're the very first person who ever uttered their funny, funny comment.

Well, one of the comments on your list was "I didn't do it!".

And as it happens, that one was something I heard so many times that you actually got on my fucking nerves just by mentioning it... and nobody has said that to me since 1990! :rofl:

Four years, man... you'll be out before you know it!

--R :thumb:

Last edited:

scott1970

Reaction score
Damn, you got over pretty good there! :applause:

High risk percentage and only 25 years for retirement has been a Florida package since I've been around, but I only did 8+ years as a cop and so wound up having to pull the entire 30 to get the state pension...

I honestly didn't mind the extra five as a civilian-- dunno if I would have come to a happy end if I did the whole 25 as a cop... :hmm:

Being a cop absolutely sucks ass. It's truly remarkable just how lousy a job it is! :laugh2:

When you first showed up here and I learned what agency you were working for, I started looking at stats for your department and the city itself... and I quickly realized that you were working in a real shithole, just as bad as Daytona Beach.

Not easy to be a cop in such places... and so I started to feel a bit of sympathy before I ever got as far as begin reading local stories...

and then I finally discovered Ol' J.R.... :laugh2:

Holy shit, working for somebody like him had to be like... whoa... :laugh2:

And so I'm very happy to know you're getting an earlier-than-expected out.

Those 4 years are gonna fly, man... you'll be surprised. Poof, over!

Oh, I've wanted to tell you this for a while now:

A while back you posted a list of *really stupid* comments that your local dingbats tend to parrot incessantly when you show up casually, like while walking into a convenience store. I roared with laughter as you recounted that in fact, these dorks say all this same shit over and over-- but always seem to believe they're the very first person who ever uttered their funny, funny comment.

Well, one of the comments on your list was "I didn't do it!".

And as it happens, that one was something I heard so many times that you actually got on my fucking nerves just by mentioning it... and nobody has said that to me since 1990! :rofl:

Four years, man... you'll be out before you know it!

--R :thumb:

I skipped our last gun show, because I didn't care to hear the same "jokes" while perusing the latest offerings of ostrich jerky. :laugh2:

I'd like it to go by smoothly and safely, but I'd also like to try to enjoy the end of the trip. The best highs and worst lows have come from wearing a badge. When I was a younger man it was absolutely intoxicating. There have been some aspects that have taken a heavy toll on me and my family, but I can't undue all that now. It sure has honed my gallows humor though. I'm a hoot when there's a corpse on the floor.

Hack

Reaction score
The countdown has begun! Good luck to you. Retirement is a hoot!

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
There will be no missing it. I will have at least five months of accrued leave time which I plan on burning at the end. I’m gone the minute I can leave.
Don't blame you.
I went right through to the end stage of recruitment at the start of the nineties for the Met' (London).
So glad I didn't go through with it now.
Zero support from the government here.
And it's just getting worse for new recruits today.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
PS.
Welcome to the lazy bastid section of society.
Don't count on having too much time to yourself though.
Nature abhors a vacuum in retirement more than nature!
:D

BACzero

Reaction score
I was gonna double dip. I offered to fly fighter jets for the Air Force, but at 53 and no flying experience, they didn't want me.

So, at my age and a home business, I semi retired now I guess.

They don't know that I'm a frickin' flyin' ACE on Battlefield 2, 4 and 5. Their loss. :)

Anyhow, CONGRATS, Scott!!! :)
I'm a wicked good tail-gunner on BF1, but I struggle when it comes to actually flying. Every now and then I get lucky enough to spawn into a plane with a good pilot, and it's SO much fun. :thumbs:

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a wicked good tail-gunner on BF1, but I struggle when it comes to actually flying. Every now and then I get lucky enough to spawn into a plane with a good pilot, and it's SO much fun. :thumbs:
Well, ya ain't played with me then...lol. BF2 I can honestly say I was a great pilot. Since my Wingman Extreme won't do what I want with the rest, I suck ass. :)

scott1970

Reaction score
My wife has a newer game system, don’t recall which one, and it has some of the Battlefield games. It’s an absolute hoot to hop into a helicopter and then parachute out just before your grenades go off! You can see little bodies drop toward the ground. Oh man, the cussing I have received from today’s youth!

<gator>

Premium Member
Reaction score
Unlike a lot of law enforcement retirements the State of Tennessee’s requirement for a full pension calls for a minimum of thirty years of service.

Effective next year that requirement is being reduced to twenty-five years for fire and police. So, I now have just a smidge over four years left, and then I’m gone!

Having five full years of law enforcement shaved off just like that is more exciting than words can describe.
Good stuff - you guys deserve it. Having to deal with shitty situations on a constant basis has got to wear a person down. Hang in for those 4 years and FFS stay safe!