Hypothetical Question Regarding Gibson Les Paul Headstocks

ShoalsRanger

Reaction score
(Sorry if this has already been discussed)

First off, let me state the obvious that I promise I do not work for Gibson's marketing department. LOL. I was pondering this question as I was searching online for some Epiphone Standards, Studios, etc etc. I love the idea of Epiphone guitars and I am well aware that they are in fact different guitars (i.e. quality, electronics, etc). I am also aware of the purpose they serve in the market but I am not a fan of the long, ugly headstock....

Oh, and in my opinion this should be in the Les Paul forum instead of the Epi forum b/c of the type of question posed. So here it is.....

Question: If Epiphone Les Paul headstocks looked exactly like Gibson's Les Paul headstock, would you be more compelled to purchase an Epiphone guitar?? (I am also thinking the headstock would be the same as Gibson's but might say "Epiphone by Gibson" or just "Epiphone"....or something similar.)

I say yes, and I don't even know why. Guess I am a borderline corksniffer or something.

BrianB

Reaction score
:io:

Attachments

• not_this_shit_again.jpg
    not_this_shit_again.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 28

what-a-cool-username

Reaction score
Epiphone is a brand all of its own. Yes, it's a Gibson subsidary and produces many lower-range Gibson copies, but not entirely so and it hasn't always been a part of the company.

There are many classic Epiphone guitars and the company has a legacy all of its own, which includes the headstock design.

In answer to your question, though: no. If I want a Gibson I'll go the whole 9 yards and buy a Gibson. If I want an Epiphone, I'd buy an Epiphone.

ShoalsRanger

Reaction score

Seriously? Ive thought about this off and on for years. Am I missing something? If I am, please fill me in. I think its a valid question to ponder. At least its better than talking about ways to darken Baked Maple Fretboards.

MP4-22

Reaction score
Being a player, No, i don't care about the headstock.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I bought my Epiphone (used, $200) because it delivered a good guitar at a good price. I like the "narrow-book" headstock Epi used in the late 80s-early 90s when they started up their low-cost Gibby alternative lines, but that had no bearing at all on the decision to purchase. I played it through a Traynor, it sounded and played great, and I bought it.

thumpalumpacus-albums-epi-picture36099-89-epi-g400-mik.jpg

Jesse James

Reaction score
If I was going for a lets say a Gibson Les Paul but couldn't afford it, then I guess the shape of the headstock would be important. I would like the guitar I CAN afford to look like the guitar I want but can't afford to buy.

But like others said Epiphone is a brand all of its own so I'm not really sure if epiphones that had the same headstock like gibsons would be cool :hmm:

musicmand

Reaction score
I can see what you're getting at. Legend goes that Les Paul actually approached Epiphone first regarding his signature model, and they said no. Of course, THAT Epiphone is a very different Epiphone than the Epiphone we have today.

I think the headstock shape plays little to no part in this discussion, however. You're asking if people would be more willing to buy Epiphone if it looked "a little more" like a Gibson, kind of like Squier and Fender share the headstock shape? Honestly, I doubt it. Epiphone has some neat models that Gibson doesn't, and vice versa. If I could find an Epiphone Wildkat at a decent price, I'd buy it. If I could snag an Elitist Dot, I certainly would (of course, that's even another headstock shape).

But no, I don't think that changing the Epi headstock to match Gibson's would result in a surge in Epiphone purchasing, and it certainly wouldn't result in a new respect for Epiphone.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Lacquer-series Epi LPs have Gibson-shaped headstocks, but I'd still rather have a Gibson.

Pics210.jpg

frameboy

Reaction score
No, I'd still buy the Gibson.

Unless the finish on the Epi was better than the finish on some Gibsons I've seen lately, in which case I'd be stuck.......

bosnialove

Reaction score
When I see Epiphones I see cheap wannabe Gibsons. That's why I don't like them. At all.

However, i do like Burny's or Orvilles.

I don't understand that logic. Perhaps because Epiphones are made in CHINA. I hate things that are made in China.

ShoalsRanger

Reaction score
Keep in mind I am not asking whether you would buy an Epiphone with a Gibson headstock OVER a Gibson Les Paul.

Just whether you would be more compelled to buy an Epiphone...if they were the same as they are now...but it had a Gibson style headstock. (Or at least something different than what they have now perhaps. Maybe something along the lines of the Epiphone Elitist headstock or the ones Epi uses on their Masterbilt Acoustics.)

Yea, like this.
Pics210-1.jpg

or the Elitist style ...
images

or the Masterbilt series style...
ef500mheadstock.jpg

over this...
LPSEPI-HCSB_headstock-front.jpg

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
When I see Epiphones I see cheap wannabe Gibsons. That's why I don't like them. At all.

However, i do like Burny's or Orvilles.

I don't understand that logic. Perhaps because Epiphones are made in CHINA. I hate things that are made in China.

Not all Epiphones are or were made in China. And some Burnys are made in China.

tzd

Reaction score
It is likely more people will buy them if they look alike. Look at ESP and LTD - they look basically the same, and if I were to buy an ESP guitar it will probably be a LTD.

Zack

Reaction score
epi headstocks are almost "round"
i would rather have an open book headstock but it wont make me buy one.

(google tokai-copy with a gibson style head stock)

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Keep in mind I am not asking whether you would buy an Epiphone with a Gibson headstock OVER a Gibson Les Paul.

Just whether you would be more compelled to buy an Epiphone...if they were the same as they are now...but it had a Gibson style headstock. (Or at least something different than what they have now perhaps. Maybe something along the lines of the Epiphone Elitist headstock or the ones Epi uses on their Masterbilt Acoustics.)

Yea, like this.
Pics210-1.jpg

or the Elitist style ...
images

or the Masterbilt series style...
ef500mheadstock.jpg

over this...
LPSEPI-HCSB_headstock-front.jpg

Don't forget this:

thumpalumpacus-albums-epi-picture50021-headtock.jpg

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I hate the big Epi headstock. I can see them keeping it on their own models but do not see the big deal in putting on their Gibson-type models. If Fender can keep the Strat and Tele headstocks pretty much the same regardless of whether they are MIA, MIM, MIJ, or Squiers then why can't Gibson do the same for LPs and SGs?

Latest Threads