Hypothetical 3-way comparison: DC 58-61 Junior, vs 61-65 SG Jr, vs 59-61 MM w/ P90?

VonPrikler

Reaction score
I guess you could call this a hypothetical shoot-out.

How would you guys compare, contrast, and dissect the following guitars, versus one another?

1. Double cutaway '58 through 61 Junior. Totally stock.

2. '61 through (let's say mid) '65 SG Junior. Totally stock.

3. Single cutaway '59 through '61 Melody Maker, let's say modified (reversible) with a P90/pickguard like the Lollar P90/pickguard combo?

I am talking tone, playability, quality, value, prestige, the tangible, the intangible, mojo, fun, bang for the buck, anything you can think of that is relevant to the comparison...

VonPrikler

Reaction score
I'll go first, since I was tbe one who actually teed up the subject.

Regarding tone specifically: you would have a hard time convincing me that there is very much actual difference in tone between any of these guitars. Slab of nice old mahogany, what I believe is reasonably similar body thickness (1.35 - 1.75 inches?), same basic pickup and control figuration.

I know that perception becomes reality, and in the hands of the individual player, there is this complex, dynamic relationship between the perception of a good guitar and how that impacts the playing, and vice versa... but cutting through all the psychological static, I am betting that the tone would be very similar for all three of these guitars.

Latest Threads