HX Stomp - Might Replace my AX8

ttbit

Reaction score
Hey All,

It has been awhile since I have dropped in.

I have been fine with my setup and haven't shopped in a long time but then... Guitar Center sent me an email about the HX Stomp so I bought one to try out. It has everything I need, it seems, for home use. I don't gig. I just play at home, sometimes with others.

I have had the AX8 for awhile and both standard presets or building a patch from scratch result in great tone right away.

The HX Stomp is easy to use and on paper, is everything I need. I will admit though, the sound and feeling initially does not seem to match my AX8. Also, the thing seems to automatically push buttons on me. I think it is the capacitive touch freaking out. If I can figure out how to get some good sounds out of it and stop it from freaking out, I could potentially sell the AX8, as it is more than I need.

My living situation has changed where headphone use is going to be 90%, instead of my PA setup, so having this tiny box with headphones out is great.

Anyone have experience with this thing?

How much could I get for my AX8? I don't need to sell it, but it seems that maybe selling it now would be good "market-wise" ?

Or maybe I am crazy here?

I know that if it keeps freaking out on me when I am playing with it, it's gone! The unit in the store did the same thing, but I thought someone just abused it.

Thank you,
Don

mdubya

Reaction score
I had some problems with the footswitches sticking and malfunctioning on my AX8. Fractal recommended greasing them as apparently that is not an uncommon problem. I used a few WD-40 soaked Q-tips and cleaned and lubed each switch/button. Worked like a charm and cost nothing but a minute or two of my time. It works better than new, now. It was frustrating, though.

The Helix LT and the Stomp have tempted me, both from a curiosity standpoint and from the standpoint of the LT just does more than the AX8.

However, I am not ready to give up the modeling quality of the Fractal models.

I honestly love the AX8 more, every day.

I few months back I purchased a set of Presonus e4.5 monitors. They have a headphones out so that ends the headphones dilema on the AX8 and the e4.5's just sound great, I mean, freaking awesome.

I, too, am in a very low volume situation and I honestly couldn't be much happier.

Last edited:

ttbit

Reaction score
Thank you. I have no button issues on the ax8. It is a problem on the hx stomp. It acts as if I am touching one of the switches, even when I am just playing. Monitors with a headphone out is a good idea. If the stomp doesn't work out, I will figure out a better way to organize all I need for the Ax8. It just seems this stomp could be perfect. If it was a fractal unit, I would have no doubt that it is right for me. I have 40 days left to try.

Don

mdubya

Reaction score
Thank you. I have no button issues on the ax8. It is a problem on the hx stomp. It acts as if I am touching one of the switches, even when I am just playing. Monitors with a headphone out is a good idea. If the stomp doesn't work out, I will figure out a better way to organize all I need for the Ax8. It just seems this stomp could be perfect. If it was a fractal unit, I would have no doubt that it is right for me. I have 40 days left to try.

Don

Ah! Sorry I misunderstood.

Maybe hang on tot the AX8 until the FM 3 comes out?

Or sell the AX8 now and use the Stomp until the FM3 comes out?

matthew bear

Reaction score
After tasting the fractals naughty bits, I'd strongly recommend keeping the ax8. I was floored by the difference between the helix and ax2 when monitoring them both thru the L6 powercab... I honestly thought that cab was trash but it seems it wasn't the problem.

I think the helix sounded good when I had my QSC k8, due to the warmth of that speaker, but when I got the power cab it just did not jive... I'm pretty sure you're using the K8, and trust me, it does the helix a big favor. I think those monitors @mdubya recommend would be a good solution to your headphone issue, plus you'd have a good low volume speaker setup to go with.

Reactions: tzd

drew365

Reaction score
After tasting the fractals naughty bits, I'd strongly recommend keeping the ax8. I was floored by the difference between the helix and ax2 when monitoring them both thru the L6 powercab...
I sure wouldn't mind hearing audio of that comparison. I liked my PC+, but think the Helix floor sounds better through my 2x12 and PowerStage 170.

matthew bear

Reaction score
I sure wouldn't mind hearing audio of that comparison. I liked my PC+, but think the Helix floor sounds better through my 2x12 and PowerStage 170.
Well, I'm unable to compare them now, because the helix was traded for the axe FX. But the standout difference was flat mode did not have the nasty spiky treble problem with the axe. with the helix, i'd get bad ear fatigue either flat or with speaker sims, I've only gone flat with the axe so far, and my ears don't hurt anymore :thumb:

drew365

Reaction score
Well, I'm unable to compare them now, because the helix was traded for the axe FX. But the standout difference was flat mode did not have the nasty spiky treble problem with the axe. with the helix, i'd get bad ear fatigue either flat or with speaker sims, I've only gone flat with the axe so far, and my ears don't hurt anymore :thumb:
I tend to make my patches with a low mid base point. So I don't really have a spiky problem with my PC+. The real difference for me between the PC+ and my 2x12 is the 2x12 has more clarity and sparkle. So it almost sounds like a light blanket has been lifted off of the patch when compared to the PC+. I could tweak and EQ to make the PC+ nearly the same, but there seems to be less tweaking needed with the 2x12. I did A/B comparisons with the identical patch into each, so I feel like I'm not just dreaming, again. Enjoy your Ax. Should keep you busy for a while.