Hung By The Neck Until Dead

MW110

Reaction score
Hanging them to the wall is good for you guitar. The weight of the body pulling down on the neck will keep the neck straight.
I use K&M hangers for more the 20 years now and never had any issue with them.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only keep my guitars in cases because I rent and don't want to install 17 hangers in my one bedroom apartment, and certainly don't have the inclination to have 17 guitar stands around. If I put all my guitars out, I would still need to store 17 cases, wot?

I have thought about buying a couple of low cost multi stands and putting cotton over all the rubbery bits. But where to put the cases?

Wise Guy

Reaction score
After 27 years, I've honestly never had issues from hanging the guitars. Almost seems as if it would counter the string tension?? I could be wrong.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The empire is dead. Kaput.

dro

Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for 50 years. All my guitars are in their cases until either time to play, or loading in at a gig or studio. I do all my own setups. Yes, hanging them or leaving them out WILL affect a guitar that is kept in it's case all the time.
Yes guitar stores have all guitars hanging on the wall. None have a setup befitting my style. But I can fix them. When I do, they go in the case.
I once sold a vintage guitar, (used to be my #1) to a studio owner. He was always asking to borrow my guitars because they played so well and were always in intonation. He likes to leave his guitars out where he can see them.
His guitars, His prerogative.
One day I went over to his studio to hang out and have a couple beers after work. I just so happened to have a feeler gauge in my pocket. When I realized this I said. I wanna check something.
So I picked up my old friend. Tuned it up and started playing. This guitar played like shit. So I got a capo and pulled out my feeler gauge. The neck relief had moved from .005" where it had been + or - .002" for 20 years to .027"
It had moved .022" just by being left out in the studio. I couldn't believe this. I asked if he had adjusted anything?
He said no, All he had done was change strings a couple times. I felt sick. This was once my favorite Ax. I never picked it up again.
You wanna leave em out? Go ahead. Who am I to say you can't. But when I set up mine I like to keep the setup. So they go in the case. My guitars are the best plying guitars I've ever played. I wanna keep em that way.

ZZUBZERO

Reaction score
Don't come here and tell people what to do with their guitars, like you're some sort of fucking wizard.

Been hanging my guitars on the wall since 1994. Does this trigger you?
This'll stir his pot, bwhaaaaaahahaha
Collection.jpg

redcoats1976

Reaction score
Cork sniffing = on.

I PLAY a guitar... maybe you could start there. It hangs on the wall a couple of hours a day, gets thrown in the tourbus, gets its finish busted when doing a stupid move ON STAGE, corrodes due to sweat while playing ON STAGE, get scratched by the cat (ok.... #[email protected]#[email protected]) and last but not least is not held at perfect humidity and temperature as in your bedroom/mancave..

For crying out loud... it is a TOOL and is meant to be used... it is not a bottle of wine, or do you also polish your hammers and screwdrivers and hold them at exactly 20C and polish them daily?
no,but i do wipe the grease and brake fluid off my tools before i put them away.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought a neck twisting was a combination of too much/little moisture and that strings dont have equal tension ‍♂
You are referring to every guitar ever built.

"Equal tension" strings is a fairly new thing, and it actually runs counter to what most players prefer, as it generally results in heavier treble strings and lighter bass strings.
String tension generally varies between 15 and 22lbs.

A warped neck can be the result of environmental abuse, but IMHO, most often, it is simply something that was destined to happen to that particular piece of wood, either because of the way it was cut, or the way it was dried before shaping.

Every 2x4 at Home Depot was straight as an arrow when it was cut.
Some are still reasonably straight, and others.....

hd.jpg

Wrench66

Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for 50 years. All my guitars are in their cases until either time to play, or loading in at a gig or studio. I do all my own setups. Yes, hanging them or leaving them out WILL affect a guitar that is kept in it's case all the time.
Yes guitar stores have all guitars hanging on the wall. None have a setup befitting my style. But I can fix them. When I do, they go in the case.
I once sold a vintage guitar, (used to be my #1) to a studio owner. He was always asking to borrow my guitars because they played so well and were always in intonation. He likes to leave his guitars out where he can see them.
His guitars, His prerogative.
One day I went over to his studio to hang out and have a couple beers after work. I just so happened to have a feeler gauge in my pocket. When I realized this I said. I wanna check something.
So I picked up my old friend. Tuned it up and started playing. This guitar played like shit. So I got a capo and pulled out my feeler gauge. The neck relief had moved from .005" where it had been + or - .002" for 20 years to .027"
It had moved .022" just by being left out in the studio. I couldn't believe this. I asked if he had adjusted anything?
He said no, All he had done was change strings a couple times. I felt sick. This was once my favorite Ax. I never picked it up again.
You wanna leave em out? Go ahead. Who am I to say you can't. But when I set up mine I like to keep the setup. So they go in the case. My guitars are the best plying guitars I've ever played. I wanna keep em that way.
I guess another setup is just out of the question. I’m no expert, but there has to be more going on here than just hanging it on the wall, like maybe temperature and humidity changes?

dro

Reaction score
Well, let’s ask Gruhn’s Guitars in Nashville.....

View attachment 506246 View attachment 506246
Well? Did you ask someone? Or just take a flipping picture.
...............................................................................................................................................................................................
That's what I thought

madhermit

Reaction score
Been hanging over 15+ guitars on the wall for 15 years at my current house. I have nitro guitars. So I got hangers made for nitro guitars. House is climate controlled and humidity is monitored.

Not a single issue.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
This thread has convinced me too hang my guitars on the wall.
I did for many years. However, my boys are teens and we gave up our home office to make an extra bedroom, and now I'm stuck on a corner in the living room. All guitars now in cases.

JMP

Reaction score
This thread deserves an award for the passion and general participation it has elicited. Bravo OP!

Latest Threads