Hung By The Neck Until Dead

Brazilnut

Reaction score
That's because they have to display them to sell them. Over time, the neck will warp, and at the least the setup will go to hell.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Not to mention, the neoprene, or whatever it is that covers the hook, will often react with the nitro finish and leave divots just below the headstock.

smk506

Reaction score
The covering will often mar the finish, but conversely, often not. Certainly not enough to be worried about for a working guitar anyway imo

As to the neck warp, I can cite numerous cases of guitars hung on walls for many years that never did warp, can you cite some cases where hanging the guitar was named the absolute culprit in warping? Keeping in mind necks can warp in the case too...

Just curious what spawned the thread, this seems like a known personal preference and nothing more?

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Extreme temperature or humidity changes.
While the guitar is stored outside the case.
That could cause a warped neck.

Hanging it from a wall.
Or leaning on a stand.
With proper room temp and humidity.
I doubt that would cause a warped neck.

Last edited:

Brazilnut

Reaction score
The covering will often mar the finish, but conversely, often not. Certainly not enough to be worried about for a working guitar anyway imo

As to the neck warp, I can cite numerous cases of guitars hung on walls for many years that never did warp, can you cite some cases where hanging the guitar was named the absolute culprit in warping? Keeping in mind necks can warp in the case too...

Just curious what spawned the thread, this seems like a known personal preference and nothing more?
I saw in another thread where a new owner was hanging his SG '61 reissue on the wall. I have had several guitar necks go woo-woo after leaving them on the wall for a while, after their living in their cases for years. Ergo sum...

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Extreme temperature or humidity changes.
While the guitar is stored outside the case.
That could cause a warped neck.

Hanging it from a wall.
Leaning on a stand.
I doubt it.
Leaning on a stand is a good way to get a cracked headstock/neck repair. I've had that happen, too.

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't hang your guitar on the wall. It's murder on the neck!
They make cases for these guitars, and that's where they belong when not in use. Guitars are not decorations.
Even if it involved nothing about a guitar, how can storing anything in a situation where 70% of the weight is pulling against (by gravity) the critical joint in the structure be beneficial?

Bottom out man

Phylodog

Reaction score
They make cases for these guitars, and that's where they belong when not in use. Guitars are not decorations.
I disagree. I don't think they belong in their cases at all and I like to look at them more than most anything else in our house (other than my wife). They may not be for decoration but they certainly can provide that for many. I love looking at guitars, even Strats.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if it involved nothing about a guitar, how can storing anything in a situation where 70% of the weight is pulling against (by gravity) the critical joint in the structure be beneficial?

Bottom out man
You've got between 80 and 120 pounds of string tension depending on gauge and tuning.
There's 15 pounds of difference between DADGAD, 1/2 step down, and typical open tunings.

10lbs of body hanging counter to that is not going to hurt anything.

Latest Threads