Humidity...or lack thereof...

Nick-O

Reaction score
At what point do you feel it is too dry to leave your guitars out?

Not generally an issue where I'm at as is it is usually miserably humid, but with very cold temps and gusting winds today and yesterday, it has my humidifier going around the clock to keep it above 35%.

I usually set it in the 45-50% range....

roeg

Reaction score
I think you're bang on.

First winter i've kept all my guits,including my Martins out,on stands.When it drops to -20 here,the humidity can easily slide to 15%.Large finished basement,i keep a humidifier going between 30 and 60%,mostly around 50%.I keep the basement door closed.Its like walking into a guitar shop.Funny how stable the tuning is,:shock:...perfect from one day to the next.When the weather warms up to 5+ degrees above freezing,humidity stabilizes at 40+%,so i shut off the humidifier.

I've become accustomed to having them ready to pickup and play,instantly.:lol:...its in my blood now:laugh2:

Nick-O

Reaction score
I think you're bang on.

First winter i've kept all my guits,including my Martins out,on stands.When it drops to -20 here,the humidity can easily slide to 15%.Large finished basement,i keep a humidifier going between 30 and 60%,mostly around 50%.I keep the basement door closed.Its like walking into a guitar shop.Funny how stable the tuning is,:shock:...perfect from one day to the next.When the weather warms up to 5+ degrees above freezing,humidity stabilizes at 40+%,so i shut off the humidifier.

I've become accustomed to having them ready to pickup and play,instantly.:lol:...its in my blood now:laugh2:

Good news then. It is always the other end of the spectrum for humidity here so I was at a loss. I feel a little better about it, as I have some stuff to learn and hate to lose any more time.

kfowler8

Reaction score
At what point do you feel it is too dry to leave your guitars out?

Not generally an issue where I'm at as is it is usually miserably humid, but with very cold temps and gusting winds today and yesterday, it has my humidifier going around the clock to keep it above 35%.

I usually set it in the 45-50% range....

If you live in South Carolina I can't imagine it ever being a problem. Just don't leave it next to a radiator or under an air vent.

Nick-O

Reaction score
I hear ya....it is gusting like mad and just above freezing this morning. Not usually a bother at all, but it is dry and horrible! Shouldn't complain, but I seem to be anyway.

TomJoad

Reaction score
I have a humidifier in my room and a hygrometer sitting on my nightstand.. it usually stays within 45-55 sometimes sneaks up around 60. I always keep my j45 in the case though... + I have the humidity packs in the case...

I suffer from what I guess is called "exploding head syndrome " It happens sometimes when I am sleeping I wake up to a huge BANG that sort of sounds like a crack so I always freak out and check my guitar at 4 in the morning... its only happened about 4 times in my life though haha anyone else ever have that happen to them?

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My acoustics sound best at 30%. My electrics don't matter.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a humidifier in my room and a hygrometer sitting on my nightstand.. it usually stays within 45-55 sometimes sneaks up around 60. I always keep my j45 in the case though... + I have the humidity packs in the case...

I suffer from what I guess is called "exploding head syndrome " It happens sometimes when I am sleeping I wake up to a huge BANG that sort of sounds like a crack so I always freak out and check my guitar at 4 in the morning... its only happened about 4 times in my life though haha anyone else ever have that happen to them?

My older sister pretty much dealt with the same problem a few years ago...

Nick-O

Reaction score
I have had that happen a couple of times year back. Usually not long after falling asleep. I used to smoke a fair bit then, so figured it was that.
Hasn't happened in a good while now. Don't smoke anymore either, but really don't think the two are related, it was just an abstract thought.

LenPaul

Reaction score
I try to keep humidity at around 40% year round,, it's been easy to maintain that throughout the entire house this year. mild winter so far.
When it get real cold out , that much inside humidity fogs up all the windows.
If it gets 30% or below, acoustics go in the cases, with make shift humidifiers.
The solid body electrics do fine in the case with no extra humidification.

All that just to post a pic of an acoustic with an in case toilet paper humidifier....
DSC_0220_zpsmjw7wrtx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I try to keep humidity at around 40% year round,, it's been easy to maintain that throughout the entire house this year. mild winter so far.
When it get real cold out , that much inside humidity fogs up all the windows.
If it gets 30% or below, acoustics go in the cases, with make shift humidifiers.
The solid body electrics do fine in the case with no extra humidification.

All that just to post a pic of an acoustic with an in case toilet paper humidifier....
DSC_0220_zpsmjw7wrtx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

wet toilet paper in what looks like a nice Martin :wow:?

Do yourself a favour and break the bank for a herco humidifier. It lasts a couple of weeks per charge and is only 5 or 6 bucks. With the case closed it keeps it right at 40-45% relative humidity.

LenPaul

Reaction score
Never been a fan of in case humidifiers, if a guit needs humidification, anything wet would work, wouldn't it?
The paper thing has done the trick, when needed, to Martins & Ramirez alike. They don't spend a lot of time in the cases, so they aren't getting over humidified. which is my concern
with close case & recharge every couple weeks.
If the newer humidifiers maintain a constant level, without over humidifying, I'm gonna check it out.:thumb:

PeteK

Reaction score
Honestly I've never really paid attention to it. I used to live in Arizona where the humidity was about -100. I've left guitars out of the case for months and never had issues. But that was when I played them regularly and changed strings probably about once a month, which includes oiling the fretboard.

BACzero

Reaction score
I live in the second driest state in the US. It's not uncommon for our summer humidity to average around 23-25% over several months. I have never humidified any of my guitars, and I've never had an issue with dryness. Never seen any cracking, breaking, and they seem to sound just fine no matter what time of year I'm playing them.

Now, my cigar collection... that's a different story. Those things will turn into confetti in just a few days. ;)

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Never been a fan of in case humidifiers, if a guit needs humidification, anything wet would work, wouldn't it?
The paper thing has done the trick, when needed, to Martins & Ramirez alike. They don't spend a lot of time in the cases, so they aren't getting over humidified. which is my concern
If the newer humidifiers maintain a constant level, without over humidifying, I'm gonna check it out.:thumb:

I've tested the herco case humidifiers with a memory programmable hygrometer. It tells me what the lowest humidity and highest has been since reset button was pressed. They hold at the perfect level in a case.

LenPaul

Reaction score
I've tested the herco case humidifiers with a memory programmable hygrometer. It tells me what the lowest humidity and highest has been since reset button was pressed. They hold at the perfect level in a case.

Good to know, thanks.
I'm gonna pick up a few of those herco's:thumb:

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

dude............is the 15 bucks really gonna make it or break it for ya?

Planet Waves Two-way Humidification System | Sweetwater.com

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Freddy, that may have been the case in your case's case, however not all cases will be the same case.

Guitar cases as a rule are awful vapor barriers. No I did not verify this but was told this by an expert in the field.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I put my guitar in a large lawn/leaf bag, and throw in a couple apple slices. Then put it in the case and fill the leftover space with kitty litter.

So far so good.

Latest Threads