Humbucker still humming

I.M.Noone

Reaction score
guys, I got a DiMarzio Super Distortion to put into the bridge position on my Daion Savage. I followed the wiring diagram and soldiered the thin bare wires to the body of the volume pot (and even wrapped the exposed portion with electrical tape). The pickup sounds great, but especially on higher gain settings, I can hear a hum that is definitely ground-related because I can get it to stop by touching the jack plugged into the guitar or even the DOD EQ box. Any ideas what I can do to fully ditch the hum?
TIA!

SloMoTX

Reaction score
You might retrace the wiring. The HOT wire goes to a lug on the Vol pot. The ground goes to the pot cover. Also check to see if there is another ground wire that had been touched by the iron and maybe melted the coating.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
When your amp is totally clean and loud does that pickup still hum?

If not then there is probably nothing wrong. If so you may have a partial short somewhere.

It's fairly normal to have any noise stop when touching the strings, and that can vary quite a bit.

Another thing that causes hum is lighting, PCs, heaters, soldering iron left on, dirty power source.

ARandall

Reaction score
The noise you are getting is room interference....which is grounded when you touch the metal parts (the whole point of the bridge ground wire after all).
You can try cavity shielding, but be aware that you are an antenna to noise too. In bad environments for such interference you'll not remove all of it.
Plus amps are also able to pick this stuff up too.

dodona

Reaction score
it appears to me your strings aren't grounded by the bridge, which usually is grounded by a wire with the circuit . Probably the wire is broken or disconnected.

Lungo

Reaction score
Only thing I’ll add is; I’d check for continuity between the volume pot and other components that should be grounded. Output Jack, bridge, etc.

Is the guitar cavity shielded? That’s another possibility. I re-wired my Les Paul at least 3 times and never fixed the noise problem. Finally removed everything and painted the cavity and backs of control cavity covers with conductive paint. It’s dead quiet now even with high gain settings.

Latest Threads