Humbucker from Hell rocks in bridge, too

79standard

Reaction score
Dudes and dude-ettes, last month I installed two cream-bobbin DiMarzio HFHs in my '79 LPS and the results have been really satisfying in all 3 switch positions. :thumb:

(Nothing against the wonderful Fralin Pure PAFs that I had in there: I just really wanted to try this, and besides, I think with the cream bezels and a tobacco 'burst, you just NEED cream pickups. :naughty:

I tested this setup with clean (my default tone), semi-clean, and distorted amp settings on my Orange Tiny Terror, as well as with my HAO Rust Driver (a Japanese boutique Plexi in a box), and I could not get a bad sound out of it.

HELL, EVEN MY DRUMMER SPOKE UP AND SAID HE DUG THE SOUND. HE NEVER COMMENTS ON MY TONE, EVER. :laugh2:

I'd had my LP rewired last year for CTS 500s all around except a 300 in the bridge volume so that 300 may have helped with the balance. (Tundratones' ancient 'bees may have helped as well, although their values are lower than normal, at .012 and .011.)

I get a very versatile perfect blend of single-coil detail and humbucker aggression.
Not inferior to the Fralins, just a different flavor of amazing.

And for the record, NO, it sounds NOTHING like a strat pickup, contrary to what you may have read. :laugh2:

Not quite like a P90, either... it has the pianistic wound strings of a P90 but the mids aren't as porky and "vintage." It's its own beast.

Just as loud as your typical t-top or PAF clone, too, as far as I can tell.

I know I can't throw a bunch of adjectives around without recording some of this fun and posting it. It may take a while for me to do this, but in the meantime mark me down as saying, YES, THE HUMBUCKER FROM HELL MAKES SWEET SOUNDS IN THE NECK AND THE BRIDGE OF A LES PAUL. :dude:

gem12

Reaction score
Sound Clips or your just babbling.:applause:

79standard

Reaction score
Sound Clips or your just babbling.:applause:
You say that like it's a BAD thing... :laugh2:

There's just so very little info (or even opinions) on this misunderstood pickup, especially as used in the bridge, that I felt compelled to post some.

I have a jam recording (courtesy of my Zoom H2) that shows off these pickups, but it goes on for maybe a half an hour, so in addition to learning how to post audio here, I will also have to learn audio editing to trim the jam into a reasonable length, but I OPEN A GREAT BIG CAN OF SUCK WHENEVER I TRY TO GET FANCY WITH TECHNOLOGY. :lol::lol::wave:

...so it may take up to a week. All apologies for my feeble Web skillz.
HAVE FAITH!

79standard

Reaction score
During band practice, I got 2 nice, short audio captures in a band setting. The question is whether I can post it without effing it up. :laugh2:
Wish me luck! :fingersx:

geetarfreek82

Reaction score
I'd love to hear audio... I have a Dimarzio Fred that is going into a 2000 Ibanez RG 570, but I can't decide if I wanna put the Fred in the bridge and throw a HFH in the neck, OR put the Fred in the neck and something hotter in the bridge. :hmm:

79standard

Reaction score
I'd love to hear audio... I have a Dimarzio Fred that is going into a 2000 Ibanez RG 570, but I can't decide if I wanna put the Fred in the bridge and throw a HFH in the neck, OR put the Fred in the neck and something hotter in the bridge. :hmm:
HFH and FRED both rock in the neck, but I found the FRED to be maybe too shiny-happy in the bridge unless the tone control was rolled off juuuust a little, like maybe 8. A marvelous pickup, though, no doubt!!!! :dude:

If you are sold on putting the FRED in the neck, a Norton should balance nicely. :thumb:

79standard

Reaction score
...and don't despair on the audio. Finding a job is taking up a lot of my R.A.M., but I WILL make it happen, one way or another, eventually. The question is, will anyone give a sh*t by then? :laugh2:

79standard

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that clip. I'm rather astonished with the 'single coil' qualities in the neck pickup especially.
Thanks for noticing, amigo! :thumb:

I like these pups just fine, but my creme '70s Dual Sound is waiting for its chance in the bridge. And of course my Fralin Pure PAFs want me to put them back in. They're very persistent! :laugh2:

79standard

Reaction score
or if you just use a 300K volume pot and not a 500K:slash:
Ah! Like what I did with my 'Paul. :hmm:

Good option for 3-knob and 4-knob guitars. (And our beloved Lesters ARE 4-knob guitars, after all.) Some say using a 300 is limiting, because with a 500 you can always turn it down. I won't have an intelligent opinion on that until I re-install a 500 in the interest of "SCIENCE!"

Of course, on instruments with 2 or more pickups but only 1 master tone and 1 master volume (e.g., Telecasters), things are different: matching your pups to their positions becomes more important, as the tone and volume controls affect both puppies and cannot be used to tame one pickup in relation to the other.

geetarfreek82

Reaction score
I've been running a 250 k volume and a 1 meg tone pot in a few of my guitars, both Teles and humbucker equipped instruments... The old Danny Gatton set up.

I was also impressed with how the HFH sounded in the neck. Quite nice.

79standard

Reaction score
I've been running a 250 k volume and a 1 meg tone pot in a few of my guitars, both Teles and humbucker equipped instruments... The old Danny Gatton set up.

I was also impressed with how the HFH sounded in the neck. Quite nice.
Glad you dig it! :thumb: And I've never heard of that setup you mentioned: I'm sure it works great, but what's the theory behind it, I wonder? :hmm:

I just replaced the bridge HFH with a '70s unpotted Dimarzio Dual-Sound, and it's even better than running twin HFHs. :shock:

The problem is that the HFH is pristine cream, while the 30-plus-year-old Dual Sound really looks like someone pulled an Andres Serrano and soaked it in piss. :laugh2:

Man, was the previous owner a tobacco-chewer who dribbled? :laugh2: Gotta figure out how to keep the patina while cleaning it up a little.

ANYWAY, the 2 pickups SOUND great together, even if they LOOK like an odd couple. The HFH can keep up with the Dual-Sound, no problem! Anyone who tells you the HFH lacks output to play with the big boys, well, they're just repeating what somebody said. :rolleyes:

I may eventually install my almost-as-stained '70s Super D in the neck to match the filthy '70s Dual-Sound, but for now I am having too much fun with the chimey goodness of the HFH in the neck.

And yes, as soon as I can talk someone into holding the camera, I'll have a clip for you. :fingersx:

(Funny that the guy who complained about lack of sound hasn't chimed in yet. :hmm: Ah well, there's a big world outside the Internet and it's a demanding place.)

79standard

Reaction score
OK, so everything I typed has been wiped clean as soon as I clicked "Go Advanced" because "the token has expired"? WTF does THAT mean? :mad2: It says "please reload window," but doing that 6 times has not helped, so the error message is bullsh*t. This site rocks, but sometimes it does things that are seemingly designed to make me succumb to despair. :shock::facepalm:

AAAANYWAY, the ancient Dual Sound squeeeeeeals when I hit the fuzz box, :shock: as if to remind me why people started potting pickups in the first place.
(How the heck does anybody play in a band with unpotted pickups unless they've learned to enjoy that ear-ruining teakettle racket?):dunno:

So I'm sending it and its equally ancient Super Distortion brother to Jeff at HighOrder Pickups because he knows how to GENTLY wax a pickup without screwing up the tone. A very good winder indeed. :thumb: