Hughes and Kettner Triamp MKII-Question for owners of this amp

jm55

Reaction score
I have a very specific question for Triamp MKII owners. I think I am having a problem, and this information will help. I would be very grateful if one or more of you could try the following and report results:

Set the master volume and the AMP 3 master volume to fully off. Then set the A and B gain on AMP 3 to say about half.

When switched to AMP 3 (A or B) with this configuration, if you play the guitar, is there some sound coming out, yes or no?

erniewan

Reaction score
I have an Alex Lifeson Triamp MKII, just got it back from the shop from a full retube and bias from Shane at British Audio Service.

I tried the settings you suggested, and there is zero sound coming out. I can't get anything out of the amp when the master volume is set to zero, no matter what amp setting.

I've had bad preamp tubes in the Triamp that can cause wierd things like this. Also there is a hum adjustment you can make if you're willing to take the chassis out.

The hum adjustment is done after the amp is biased. Set the amp to the clean setting (amp 1 channel A), max the gain and master volume. Adjust the pot until you achieve the quietest operation. I've put a small pic of the chassis attached, with the bias pots and hum pots labeled. If you can't read it, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a bigger pic of this.

I would swap preamp tubes, especially V9, first.

Are there any other issues with sound? This problem may not really be a big deal if it doesn't affect any other functions.

Good luck, Ernie

Attachments

• HKTriampMKII.jpg
    HKTriampMKII.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 239

jm55

Reaction score
Thanks for the very informative and helpful reply.

It confirms my suspicion that I have a problem. I bought the amp not long ago from a music store -used and perhaps without warranty (to be determined)- but for a very good price. I only really discovered this problem just now, since I was not using Amp 3.

My first clue that something was wrong was that amp 3 (and mostly channel A) did not sound good. It is as if there are two distinct sounds coming out, superimposed over each other, one is cleaner and the other is crunch. The two do not blend well at all. The second clue was that with the master full off, sound does not come through on amp 1 and 2, as expected, but on amp 3, there is still sound bleeding through on A or B. The last clue is that using more than three quarters gain on amp 3 channel A results in outrageous amounts of feedback and distortion.

For you, did your amp man use TAD tubes, which I think are the factory choice? Do you think I would be O.K. to swap in something else, in the event this is just a tube issue? Most importantly, I do not see an obvious way to know which way tube assignment goes (left to right or right to left).

If you are facing the amp’s front and looking at the tubes through the window, which tube is number 9, the covered preamp tube to the very right, or the lone single preamp tube in the Power tube back row? You would think the far right (and closest to amp 1) would be tube 1, but I want to be positive.

erniewan

Reaction score
No problem, hopefully we can get your amp working with a simple swap. I've never heard of that issue, but old tubes can cause all types of issues, especially with an amp with 13 tubes.

Preamp tube 9 is actually the one lone preamp tube in the 2nd row. If you look at the amp in front of you, there are 8 preamp tubes in a line. V9 is the 1st one sort of in the back row to the left of the power tubes. (behind preamp tube number 3 from left to right).

My amp was bought used also, but claimed to have very few hours in it. I sent it in to be re-tubed anyway. It did have TAD tubes in there, and yes, they are the factory spec for HK amps for the last few years. The new tubes I had installed are also TAD, as I wanted to keep it completely stock.

I still have the original tube set at my house, so if you want, PM me your mailing address and I can send them to you to try. If it solves the problem, then you'll know it just needs a new set. Be aware though, they are pricey. I paid about 315.00 for a full retube, bias, hum adjustment, and a full look-over of the entire amp (with shipping back).

If you wind up getting a new set, be sure to have the amp biased.

Try the preamp tube swaps 1st, in multiple positions, starting with V9, then let me know if you want me to send you my old tubes to test.

Good luck, Ernie

jm55

Reaction score
Hi Ernie,

Thanks for your interest, and very generous offer to help me get this sorted out. I am just walking out the door, but will PM a note later this evening.

jm55

Reaction score
Ernie, I sent an email last night, but it is not clear to me how MLP's private mail service works. It was the first such message I have sent, and on other forums, there is usually a sent messages folder, but I do not see one, so I am uncertain if you received it, or where to find a return message from you.

jm55

Reaction score
I would like to acknowledge and thank Ernie again, here in the forum. Ernie and I have corresponded by email, and he quickly sent me his old set of tubes to try to solve the problem. I wanted to pay him something for the tubes and of course for the shipping as well, but he refused to accept anything. His efforts at helping a fellow player go way beyond what one could expect here. One of these days, perhaps I can reciprocate somehow Ernie.

I did switch out the tubes, first the power tubes, and then the preamp tubes. The problem still exists with both sets, but it was an invaluable help in ruling out one possible cause. I am also very grateful for his advice and ideas in our email correspondence.

If there are any other Triamp MKII owners out there, it might prove interesting to know if anyone else's amp also bleeds sound on amp 3 with gain up, but master full off.

trickae

Reaction score
Gents,

sorry for bumping an old thread - but my triamp MKII seems to have an issue. I have checked the fuses and the voltage supply orientation of the fuse holder, power is sent to the head and cab but there's no sound.

What could be causing this?

kittyhawk

Reaction score
when will you get the h&k duotone? it has so much (more) tone :D

Atomic

Reaction score
your best bet is to email hughes & kettner directly. try to explain the nature of your problem and they will usually reply pretty swiftly. for example i had just a simple tube question about my duotone head and i got an email back from the gent who did the final build on my exact head.

erisgumma

Reaction score
Looking for the schematic / service documentation file for this. Been googling for it – no luck. If you can help, please mail it to aukikco(a)gmail.com

torqvaw

Reaction score
I also have a question for Triamp owners.

About 2 months ago I went into a Guitar Center and saw a new Lifeson triamp. Was blown away as I thought all of these were long gone.

Sat down and started playing it on channel 2a and after about 10 minutes noticed that it started to sound very thin. Turns out that the volume pot on that channel was having an issue. If I turned it it would pop back in and then cut out again after a couple minutes. Seemed like a bad pot so I asked the salesman if there were any others around. He found another lifeson at another guitar center an hour away so I made the trip only to arrive and have the salesman hook it up. He powered it up but it was otherwise dead... no sound. I should have given up then but I didn't. The new salesman checked the computer and found a couple more and told me he could have one shipped in that was new in the box. I had him ship it in and unbelievably it did the same as the first unit. Bad pot on channel 2. It would play ok and then cut out... He told me we could try one more and that he would have it shipped to me. I thought why not. Certainly I wouldn't have a fourth unit act up. Well I get the new about 3 weeks ago and it seemed fine except it was very hissy even on channel 1. I couldn't believe it. This was the first that I had actually gotten to use it at home so I thought maybe it was the nature of this amp. About 2 weeks ago I was on a trip to Pittsburgh and stopped in a Guitar Center and there sits another Lifeson triamp. I fire it up and decide to check how noisy it was and and while in the process Chanel 3 started fading in and out with the same symptoms as the other 3. I couldn't believe it. On top of that the s/n ratio was much better on it than mine. I was pissed!

After getting back home I called h&k (who were very cool) and had them ship me a couple new preamp tubes under warranty. Unfortunately they did not fix the loud hissing problem.

Then finally last night as I was playing and contemplating whether to send the amp to h&k for service of just return it suddenly my 3rd channel started to cut out on this amp. I am floored.

I just can't imagine that these amps are that unreliable. I have searched high and low and can hardly find a negative comment. The thing thing that all of these Lifeson's had in common was their serial numbers. They all had serial numbers that were very close. The lowest unit had a s/n that ended in 61 and the highest numbered unit ended in 79.

My BiG question...has anybody else had or heard of any similar experience with triamp's?? I love the tones of this amp but obviously it's not worth the hassle.

Perhaps this was a run with some bad pots. Maybe a new run of standard mk2's would be fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

shampoch

Reaction score
Yep, i have an issue with mine right now. PM me.

shampoch

Reaction score
Abrupt Volume swings up and down in channel 3. I am frustrated with it after swapping tubes and re-bias etc.... Same issue remains. Just bought it used so will be returning for refund or repair, have not decided yet. You can contact me through my website under "contacts" www.GuitarHalo.com - Home. No PM feature here on this thread it looks like.

Batman

Reaction score
You need to have a minimum of 5 posts in order to be able to send and receive PM's.

Latest Threads