Huge decision to make and need some help.

dro

Reaction score
Want clean headroom? JTM45 is the way.

CoolRene

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. In my experience, I have found THE ‘59 burst RI after a search that lasted for more than 45 years.
The amp is just a fantasy, unless you want to play live in a stadium: a 20 watt + a good OD pedal will do the job with very good results.
As to the Martin acoustic, it will probably end up accumulating dust in a corner.
I have the same pleasure every time I open-the case of my LP: looking at it, smelling the nitro and putting my hands on its perfect neck carve. Once I plug it in (15 watt Vox+ SuperSigna OD) those CustomBuckers have a variety of tones from cristal clean to howling screams, honk, growl… incomparable pleasure.
Plus it’s flames are a beauty to look at (see my avatar pic).
So make your decision. Now you know what was mine :)

zamdrang

Reaction score
I'm just like you with indecision. Skipping the greater implications of this "trait" (as someone who's lived with it for 50 years it most certainly has gotten in the way of enjoying life in many ways). These are things.. Keep that in mind, it's just really not that important one way or the other. I agree with others, skip the stack, get the LP or the Martin. Relax, enjoy the hell out of them. Nothing is permanent.

keys88

Reaction score
All really cool tools in their own right, all very different. When I'm stuck in a situation like this I always try to make myself distinguish WANT from NEED. Lately I've been wanting to pick up a banjo, just to learn it. But I don't NEED a banjo, therefore that purchase shouldn't come before other necessary items. Does it mean I'll have to wait to scratch that itch? Yep. But it's the right call.

I can't really weigh in on whether you should go electric or acoustic. You'll have to make that call yourself. But ask yourself which you will get more use out of in the long run. Option B is to shop used and try to get both (which is definitely worth investigating).

Regarding the amp specifically, I've had a few Marshall stacks over the years. They look so cool and I can pretend I'm a rockstar in my own basement. But once the honeymoon phase is over you realize it takes up way too much space and it's a pain to move around. And then I realize I'm not really a rockstar and this is a completely unnecessary item. Combo amps are infinitely more practical for most of us.

Les Paul Advocate

Reaction score
Get the Les Paul and amp. Let me know if you asked the same question on a Martin site, and I'll find it and reply and tell you to get the Martin.

goodvibes

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Does anyone have any advice for me?
[/QUOTE]
Buy cheaper used gear and put what is left in the stock market. You’ll thank me in 10-20 yrs...

dasherf17

Reaction score
inability to make a decision is a strong trait of ADD or ADHD as it is better known, as well as a heaping helping of OCD. I come from a family history of it, my mother lived in the same house for over 60 years and never changed anything other than a light-bulb, she just couldn't decide what to do ... and never did, the house was eventually sold after her passing looking essentially the same as it did in 1959... point of all of this is that, sadly, neither life or decisions come with an iron-clad guarantee ... really only leaving you with two choices .... A) obsess about the purchase/decision until your dying day and end up never buying any of them or B) make a hopefully well informed decision to the best of your ability and try to live with the choice you made ... if it doesn't work out you could always sell it ...
Hi, Sub! I feel like I have something like that only in the opposite direction...example: I have a Firebird III upstairs that I got in '87, never used it in a band and it still has the same strings from that time period. I now own 12.1 guitars (#14 would be my next one, catch my drift?), I own 20 turntables, multiple receivers, speakers and so on, etc....OCD? Must be...oh, yeah, 3000 LPs, 2000 45s, 1500 CDs, etc....OCD? Hmmm...not diagnosed, but going by what I've heard about it, it's more than just having fun, here...you can correct me if I'm misunderstanding, Sub.
I agree with buying a used guitar with all the dings and whistles, plays well, sounds good. Happiness is just round the bend...

Last edited:

Latest Threads