How'd you get ahold of your first les paul?

Jimmi

Reaction score
My grandparents gave me this guitar for Christmas in 1984, I was 14.

'81 Gibson Heritage Award '59 reissue Les Paul

Ralff

Reaction score
I was stationed in Korea back when I was a young man in the service. With a girlfriend in the states and not much else to do (or spend money on), I walked into the local guitar shop and decided to buy the most expensive guitar they had: a Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty.

It's one of the few young and stupid impulse purchases that actually worked out for me in the end. To this day it's still the best playing guitar I've ever put my hands on.

classic

Reaction score
'93 Gibson Classic PP

The story ...
I'm suffering from cancer and back in 2006/07 I've had a very hard time.
My wife and my son were going to get rid of me because as a seriously ill person I didn't fit in their life plan anymore ...
At that time I had two Les Paul-type guitars, a beautiful '84 Tokai LS150 and an 2004 Edwards 98LTS. So there was no need to look further for a model like this.
Nevertheless ... one day in Nov.'06 I was hanging around at Ishibashi's Used Guitars Shop as I used to do 2 times a week or so ... just for fun to look what was up there.
Suddenly ... like being struck from lightning I saw that Gibson Classic PP!
I had never seen a Classic like this before ... an amazing top ... no snot green inlays! It was nicer than the two I've owned together!
From this time I visited the Ishibashi site once a week ... looking when it would be sold ...
For me Japan wasn't the place to buy a Gibson! US$ 1600 plus shipping plus fees and taxes in Germany were too heavy!
What can I say ...
When the new year came it was still there in stock!
That must be my fate ... a hint from above or something similar!
Seriously ... I couldn't afford it ... but I pulled the trigger!
One week later it had arrived at my home ... nearly flawless except a broken tip of the toggle switch!

... and it felt right, like just made for me!

After that I've sold both the Tokai and the Edwards, because I had a way better guitar now!
... and btw. ... we both have survived until today ... isn't it good?

rvschulz

Reaction score
in high school in the early 70s my dad got me a Fender MusicMaster II and then a Gibson SG with the plastic covered single coils ... when I hit senior year I thought I was going to the Air Force Academy so we sold everything. at the last second, some scumbag bribed the Representative from my district for the appointment and I was sitting at home in the dumps - no academy and no guitars/amps.

my dad takes me into downtown NOLA to a pawn shop and I get to pick out a new guitar - a LP Deluxe for $200 - needs new strings, dirty, etc. checking it out I notice that the tuners have been upgraded ... hmmm ... this was somebody's serious guitar. I got it. and have had it since.

one little additional story about it - I brought it to Foster's Guitars in NOLA to get it raped over and a couple of Dimarzio SDs installed. He takes it in the back and checks it out then comes out with it and points to the wall of 25 or so LPs and says "I'll keep this one and you can have any guitar on the wall" ... after about 5 minutes, I kept my guitar as is.

jc2000

Reaction score
a 2013 Trad Pro 2 was a 25th wedding anniversary gift from my wife.

Huck Finn

Reaction score
I bought an SG when I earned my first money at a job. Love the guitar, it's perfect, but it's not a LP! So, about 6 years later, after 1 year of saving, I bought my LP smartwood studio. No bling, but a keeper for sure. As well as my SG

cristi tanasescu

Reaction score
'93 Gibson Classic PP

The story ...
My wife and my son were going to get rid of me because as a seriously ill person I didn't fit in their life plan anymore ...
At that time I had two Les Paul-type guitars, a beautiful '84 Tokai LS150 and an 2004 Edwards 98LTS. So there was no need to look further for a model like this.
Nevertheless ... one day in Nov.'06 I was hanging around at Ishibashi's Used Guitars Shop as I used to do 2 times a week or so ... just for fun to look what was up there.
I had never seen a Classic like this before ... an amazing top ... no snot green inlays! It was nicer than the two I've owned together!
From this time I visited the Ishibashi site once a week ... looking when it would be sold ...
For me Japan wasn't the place to buy a Gibson! US$ 1600 plus shipping plus fees and taxes in Germany were too heavy!
What can I say ...
One week later it had arrived at my home ... nearly flawless except a broken tip of the toggle switch!

After that I've sold both the Tokai and the Edwards, because I had a way better guitar now!
what about your family?

Chopsy

Reaction score
My first, an Epiphone LP Plus Top Pro for my last birthday, soon to be followed by a Gibson LP on my next birthday

Farquad

Reaction score
My first LP was a copy by Galaxy that I got as a gift from my parents ~1980.
I didnt get my first real one until 1997 when I picked up a used 95 studio in wine red. Played that thing to death. Sold it for a profit after getting what, at the time, I thought was the holy grail of Les Paul's and that the GOTW Zebrawood classic.

Jimmi

Reaction score

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
In 1972 I was visiting a neighbor at the school she was attending. They had a large round music room and everyone left their gear there. I was a big Page fan back then but I played acoustic.

Someone had a Black Les Paul and I sat on the floor next to it and played it for a little bit. I can still remember how clearly the notes rang out and how smooth the action was. So I finally got myself a Studio this past February. I love this thing!

Electroman67

Reaction score
The one on the right, it was my first reward/inspiration for quitting smoking last May, several have followed since. It, and the goldtop were both CL scores, both are mint and play as lovely as they look.

Jimmi

Reaction score
I really dig this top. Great looking guitar.

'93 Gibson Classic PP

The story ...
What can I say ...

NRBQ

Reaction score
I had been looking for a 1st run tribute for a while when I popped into GC and way up high on the used section there it was just sitting there, a 1st run 60's Tribute in Honeyburst. Beautiful light back, P-90's, slim fast neck. I took it out of the store that day for $599 including tax but with no case. It only came with a bag anyway so no loss there. Sold it to a good friend after I changed it's look and it's his prized possession today.

I bought another 1st run 60's Trib Goldtop and slipped in a set of Mini Hums from a 70's tribute and it was nice. Next up picked up a great Studio Deluxe then sold it, finally ending up with a Traditional Plus and a Goldtop Deluxe and I'm set for quite some time.

Here they all, the fablous five.

Attachments

Latest Threads