How would you feel if..

Laggspike

Reaction score
Great picture! How would I feel if a stranger presented me with a picture of my livestock.....I have no idea. They will be one of two things: pleasantly surprised, or uncomfortable. Either way it’s a very nice gesture. Let us know how they react.
haha yeah, i admit, its kinda wierd to start to talk to a complete stranger, just to tell them a good story and present them a print lol

Of course i will give you all a report on how it went, but as of now, im currently waiting on the print haha (cant wait!!!)

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was a pro Photographer and I read your thread....

AWESOME Picture BTW ...Award winning IMO ...I would enter that in a contest somewhere ....

But I agree ,,,you do need to ask ....

But on the other hand ....what if the owner says NO ...destroy the photo...or I'll sue.....

This has happened ....not of a cow mind you ....but some people are odd about certain things....there might be something in a photo they want to keep private .....

SO my jury is out on what you should do....

Just be aware of every scenario so you can counter it.

Again great photo!

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I "bite the big one" when it comes to photo-ing.
And don't care.
My nieces and nephew are into it, (seen here, photo by me, Hahaha!) and they do great stuff, and I discovered their secret.
They wait and watch.

View attachment 547185
I believe Ansel Adams waited 3 days for the right light for his famous
Half Dome shot. He knew what he wanted and waited for it.

Laggspike

Reaction score
So I was a pro Photographer and I read your thread....

AWESOME Picture BTW ...Award winning IMO ...I would enter that in a contest somewhere ....

But I agree ,,,you do need to ask ....

But on the other hand ....what if the owner says NO ...destroy the photo...or I'll sue.....

This has happened ....not of a cow mind you ....but some people are odd about certain things....there might be something in a photo they want to keep private .....

SO my jury is out on what you should do....

Just be aware of every scenario so you can counter it.

Again great photo!
thanks for you input <3

IF the case is he gets mad and wants to sue, im telling him that he is welcome to do so.
Since i've taken the picture while standing on a open road where everyone is welcome to be, and i have NOT been standing on private property :)

if i am standing on a road like that, i am allowed to take a picture though his kitchen window while he is standing naked, and share it (if i wanted of course. and NO, i aint doin' that! lol)

if he wont take the picture, im just gonna keep it myself haha

i have studied the law regarding photagraphy (at least some of it) as i do not want to do something illegal :)

Thanks for the compliment!

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t worry too much … I was just pointing out a worse case… they will love the picture

Laggspike

Reaction score
Don’t worry too much … I was just pointing out a worse case… they will love the picture
yeah i know :)

im good at talking (in swedish and danish at least) im sure too that they will like it :)

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I used to be part of a registered Black Angus cattle ranch. Our cattle were often fully visible fron the road, If a photographer thought one of our cattle was photographable, we would have been honored, especially if the photographer gave us a print. In no way would we have been insulted. Instead, we might have used the photo in an ad in a trade magazine. Breeders of fine cattle are proud of there stock, and are happy when others see their quality too. We had customers for our bulls and heifers who saw our stock from the road, aNd became interested in buying. In no way did we consider our stock hidden or private. The contrary was true —- we wanted the word out about what good stock we had to sell.

So if you had come to our ranch, offering a great pic you took on one of our stock, you would have been welcomed, offered a drink, and invited to a truck ride around the ranch to see if we could catch some other stock in photogenic environments (which we could) and only ask for a copy of each photo. Of course, you would have been happy to take that tour. And the photos would be used in our ads in the Angus Journal. You, of course would have remained free to use the photos as you wish. You could even sell them, with no compensation to us. That’s the way it would have worked with us on our ranch,

Laggspike

Reaction score
I used to be part of a registered Black Angus cattle ranch. Our cattle were often fully visible fron the road, If a photographer thought one of our cattle was photographable, we would have been honored, especially if the photographer gave us a print. In no way would we have been insulted. Instead, we might have used the photo in an ad in a trade magazine. Breeders of fine cattle are proud of there stock, and are happy when others see their quality too. We had customers for our bulls and heifers who saw our stock from the road, aNd became interested in buying. In no way did we consider our stock hidden or private. The contrary was true —- we wanted the word out about what good stock we had to sell.

So if you had come to our ranch, offering a great pic you took on one of our stock, you would have been welcomed, offered a drink, and invited to a truck ride around the ranch to see if we could catch some other stock in photogenic environments (which we could) and only ask for a copy of each photo. Of course, you would have been happy to take that tour. And the photos would be used in our ads in the Angus Journal. You, of course would have remained free to use the photos as you wish. You could even sell them, with no compensation to us. That’s the way it would have worked with us on our ranch,
Man, that would be the best scenario to be honest!
To help out a business by just doing a hobby, is pretty much win/win in my eyes :)

Unfortunately i dont think the farmer who owns the cows that I photographed isnt sooo big or anything, but who knows? Maybe he has even more to make even bigger farmers jealous haha

Or it might just become a good memory of a wonderful cow that they have worked with :)

Happy 4th of July!

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have copyrighted the picture Lag.

Someone else can now take your cow picture, copyright it themselves, and make money off of it and you won't get any.
Technically, it's copyrighted as soon as you take the photo. It's a lot harder to prove though unless you embed the copyright and contact info in the metadata when you post it. Facebook may strip metadata though - I don't know

Latest Threads