How well do satin finishes age?

PlainAllman

Reaction score
I just recently got a 21 LP Special tribute. I really prefer a satin finish. I am interested to see how it ages but I’m not too worried about. I really just love the feel of the neck and the monster tone. It’s an awesome guitar in a very simple an reasonably affordable package.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 2021 tribute is aging nicely. it's getting glossy around the touch points, neck has gotten really smooth. I love it.

VancoD

Reaction score
I don't believe a satin finish will "polish" over time. AFAIK a "true" satin finish comes from a product that specifically has solids in it to prevent gloss. If you have a satin finish that goes glossy you haven't "polished" the satin - what you've done is worn the satin OFF - and are now seeing the clear that was used to build the finish prior to the final top with the matte product.

If you make a "fake satin" by de-glossing a gloss finish, well, that will polish.

Semantics? Possibly - but IMO no one is "polishing" a real satin topcoat to a gloss. It can't happen.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I don't believe a satin finish will "polish" over time. AFAIK a "true" satin finish comes from a product that specifically has solids in it to prevent gloss. If you have a satin finish that goes glossy you haven't "polished" the satin - what you've done is worn the satin OFF - and are now seeing the clear that was used to build the finish prior to the final top with the matte product.

If you make a "fake satin" by de-glossing a gloss finish, well, that will polish.

Semantics? Possibly - but IMO no one is "polishing" a real satin topcoat to a gloss. It can't happen.
You won't get a full gloss buffing wheel finish like a Standard or Trad, but you can definitely polish up a satin Les Paul to semi-gloss, almost VOS like shine. There have been numerous examples on these boards of people doing this with Tributes and posting fairly impressive results. Also, just from playing it the areas that come into contact with the body most frequently will naturally start to shine up (neck, upper bout where your forearm rests, areas around the controls).

zdoggie

Reaction score
out of my pay grade I don't have any satin finishes

zdog

iekobrid

Reaction score
I have an EVH Wolfgang in "Stealth" matte black with shiny patches on the front where the previous owner either glossed the finish through normal play wear or handled the guitar after eating KFC. :hmm:

lwchafin

Reaction score
I've got one of the older "faded red" SG Specials, satin finished, and there is nowhere on it that has gone glossy.It's probably around a 2005 or so. Got it from EBay for $441 6 years ago - had one inconspicuous scratch ( more of a mar) just below the bridge. Probably the best deal in a guitar I've ever gotten.

Reaction score
I just bought a lightly used 2020 LP Tribute and the back of the neck is already glossy and smooth. Not like my 2019 LP Standard, but closer to that than to the parts of the body of the Tribute that don’t get handled much.

I’d love to be able to “restore” the original feel to the satin neck of the Tribute, but that doesn’t sound like a realistic possibility.

Latest Threads