How to tell if a Gibson Les Paul is fake...

Armitage

Reaction score
And of course, just like the million fake JEMs out there... they get better and better looking each day...

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And of course, just like the million fake JEMs out there... they get better and better looking each day...

True, but there are plenty of tells that I didn't mention in this walk-through that should be dead giveaways if one were to study the pictures and diagrams.

They'll never get it perfect.

Armitage

Reaction score
CounterfeitLesPaul1.jpg

CounterfeitLesPaul2.jpg

A recent counterfeit Les Paul... "looks" pretty darned good... next week they'll get the bridge and logo slant right.

This one is for sale by me for $2500.

The Refugee

Reaction score
It's been a while since this thread was last bumped, but it was so helpful I felt a need to bump it.

Thanks a lot for the thread, IMO this should be a sticky like the fake Epiphone one. Why it isn't I'm not sure.

Thanks for the great thread DJ :thumb:

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused on the Serial # thing here.
Looking on EBAY I found this one looks like painted #'s

Gibson Custom Shop Class 5 Les Paul *Brand New* - eBay (item 150483181321 end time Aug-28-10 11:49:54 PDT)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/Hawiian2/question.jpg

Also, did not hear anything about the Gibson gold lettering on the back of this.
(Never saw one myself but that doesnt mean much)

Set me straight here:hmm::)

It's a Custom Shop guitar.
Everything is the way it's supposed to be. :thumb:

That gold lettering is the Custom Shop decal.
You can also find it on Les Paul Customs that are made by the Custom Shop.

(2007 '68 RI)
30U-15864_headstock-back.jpg

bfglp

Reaction score
A recent counterfeit Les Paul... "looks" pretty darned good... next week they'll get the bridge and logo slant right.
This one is for sale by me for $2500.
[/QUOTE]

@ $250 you could sell truck loads!

bfglp

Reaction score
You guys know how I feel about fakes, but I have to say I wouldn't mind having that fretboard transplanted to my Epi Jr.

the fake L.P. customs always have block style fret markers on rosewood boards just like the epip customs. most likley from the same place.

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums

[COLOR="Yellow"]A recent counterfeit Les Paul... "looks" pretty darned good... next week they'll get the bridge and logo slant right.

This one is for sale by me for $2500.[/COLOR][/quote]

Just like the Epiphone thread, I didn't mark down every "tell" that a fake Gibson has. There are things the fakers will never get right without having to take an exhaustive look at each and every Les Paul model they fake.

58_Iced_Tea

Reaction score
Good reading. I agree with the "sticky" suggestion. But what do I know? I'm new here! :D

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
Well it's been 4 years since the first fakes began to roll out of Payless. And about a year since I was interviewed for the story about them in Premier Guitar. Payless is no more. But there are and will always be others. Fake Rolexes have been out for about 30 years or so now. I wonder if on the watch forums people still post "Is this real ?". Fake Oakleys about 15 years. Remember, the Chinese
are not trying to sell you a fake Gibson for $2000. (They want to sell you one for $300) The people trying to do that are your peers. They are the same people that would probably sell you fake concert tickets, or anything else for that matter. The pawn shops are still getting away with pretending not to know because it's relatively new. This will change soon. If something sounds too good be true....well you know the rest.

Sånglöf

Reaction score
Wondering about hhose custom shop guitars. Do they all have that gold lettering?
I have a ES 335 from 2008, and it does not have those gold letters. I bought it new at a retailer where I live, with a Certificate of Authenticiti and all...
It also has a 8-digit serial number, not a CSXXXXX. Why is that. I'm really sure it's not a fake. It even smells vanilla Gibson! :)

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sånglöf;2196185 said:
Wondering about hhose custom shop guitars. Do they all have that gold lettering?
I have a ES 335 from 2008, and it does not have those gold letters. I bought it new at a retailer where I live, with a Certificate of Authenticiti and all...
It also has a 8-digit serial number, not a CSXXXXX. Why is that. I'm really sure it's not a fake. It even smells vanilla Gibson! :)

Are you sure it was made at the Custom Shop?

Sånglöf

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;2196198 said:
Are you sure it was made at the Custom Shop?

Thought I was. Doesn't this black book " Gibson Custom Certificate of Authenticiti" tell it's a custom shop guitar? I was sure about that.

dscn0061i.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dscn1397p.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

usmcLP

Reaction score
My attempt at a bump, never ever forget this sign of it being fake as well

2011-06-07_22-48-09_998.jpg

always always ALWAYS check the size of that split diamond. It's a dead give-away IMO.

Latest Threads