How to square the front of body where neck joins a les paul or 335?

asax

Reaction score
I am currently gearing up to build a hollow body. I am planning a 335ish guitar with heat bent solid 2-2.5mm sides, a solid center block, solid carved top and back and a set neck. The neck pocket will be routed at a 4* angle as will be the the tenon cheeks on the neck. For the neck joint to be clean the front of the guitar body has to be dead flat and square.
How do you guys true up this surface? the band saw will not be clean enough and the guitar body is too bulky to bring to a disc sander, the horns wont allow a plane and shooting board to be used. Any suggestions?

Attachments

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i work with what i got. of course i have only build solid bodies, but i start by squaring my blank, then drawing a perpindicular line down center and sand the top end of the blank on my floor belt sander. a good square cut on the sliding table on a table saw would work as well. having never build a semi hollow or hollow, i would approach it the same way, but i would establish the center line after body is build and cut on sliding table on table saw to square the end....but that's just me.i'd be interested in other input, as i too would like to do one of these one day....or year as it were. good luck

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
I agree, the solid center block should be squared up prior to gluing the top and bottom on.
Also dont get stuck on the 4° measurement for the neck angle. It will all depend on the carve of your top vs how high you set the neck out of the body, es dont have the fret board resting in the carve top like a les paul, they sit above the body and have a different angle then the carved top. Just Google image search Gibson es 335 neck joint and you will see a variety of pics.

Last edited:

asax

Reaction score
I like the table saw approach but the horns get in the way, so I will definitely square up the center block first before the side are glues on.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
GOOD wood chisels, PROPERLY sharpened, practice, practice, practice.

I use a knee mill for some of my guitar work and have no problem using milled templates for some things, too.

But there are times when an old school wood chisel is the way, the truth, and the light. It's a skill any woodworker of any sort should certainly have.

BPW666

Reaction score
Do you have access to a rougher table? If I'm picturing what you're saying properly I'd probably use a template and a pattern bit then do any clean-up with sandpaper and a good flat sanding block. Or you could uses your band saw then clean up with sandpaper.

Have you watched Freddy's building les Pauls youtube series? In one of the episodes he shows how to get the neck fit perfect.

I'm planing a semi hollow build at some point, have decided yet if it will have bent sides or just be a hogged out lump of mahogany.

Good luck and start a build thread!

Ben