how to spot a fake custom?

USAPatriot

Reaction score
Pull off the stopbar and bridge and look underneath. Look at the wiring and the components. Pull the pickups and see what's stamped into the bottoms. Photograph everything. Finally, send those photos to Gibson. They'll be thrilled to help you out on this. They hate the fakers. -Rod-

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
fake_stamp.png

gewerh44

Reaction score
It might be a chinese copy. Theyre always about 750 dollars.

But its definitely a copy.
Also, a Gibson LP Custom would be around 3000 dollars. Do the math.

- The Headstock looks weird, the truss rod cover shouldnt be so close to the nut and the shape of the trc is not right.
- The binding over the tip of the frets is not there.
- The shape of the body is weird, mostly around the toggle switch.
- The knobs are a bit off.
- The bridge and stopbar dont have the right distance between each other.
- The bridge looks like that from an Epiphone (a bit thinner than the Gibson original ToM's, either Nashville or ABR-1).

Just out of curiosity, you should ask the guy for a picture of the wiring. An original Gibson would come with an immaculate wiring (like the picture I attached here), with nice potentiometers and capacitors, plate under the pots, understandable wiring, proper grounding cables and paint, etc. Most gibson copy makers dont put much attention to the quality of the wiring. They usually put mini pots, black "pseudo grounding paint", crappy capacitors, etc.

Long story short, get away from that "Gibson LP Custom".

gewerh44.

Attachments

• Gibson AFD Slash signature USA shop - wiring.jpg
    Gibson AFD Slash signature USA shop - wiring.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 33

michaelinokc

Reaction score
I bought my Les Paul Custom off craigslist. I had a guy doing a setup on my acoustic take a look at it, because he was suspicious. After about ten minutes of checking it over and making me sweat, he called me a lucky bastard. Whew.

Robus

Reaction score
I called a local about a les paul for sale on CL. he didn't seem to know much about it...

there were a couple things that just don't smell right... the 'Gibson' name didn't look right... but that could just be me not knowing...

it had the custom diamond, and custom truss rod cover, but the hardware was silver and the fretboard was rosewood...

how can I, as a novice tell if it's real?

I don't want to insult the guy, it's a gorgeous guitar, but I don't want to pay for a real gibson and get a fake(if I pay for a fake and get it, that's fine :) )

here's the pic of the headstock:

for%2Bsale%2B025.jpg

Insult him all you want. The guy is a thief. Also report it to CL and to Gibson.

omfug4life

Reaction score
This guitar passed! It's action packed with the indicators of a fake.

scottyk

Reaction score
Really no need to go any further here.
It's dead nut bogus...end of story.:cool:

SonicBlur

Reaction score
Those serial numbers are a DEAD giveaway! I am by no means a fake expert but it's painfully obvious sometimes!

John Scrip

Reaction score
Screaming "Fake" - From the nibs to the bridge and more.

Leiste

Reaction score
It might be a chinese copy. Theyre always about 750 dollars.

Are you serious? For that amount of money, here in Shanghai, I could get you five of those fake Les Pauls the OP posted. . . and still have some cash left :laugh2:

Toxicpizza72

Reaction score
Yes,a fake!

Sticker at the cavity-plate was the the first giveaway,cutaway does not seems right,The bridge (which looks to be mounted backwards),is to far distance from the stop-tail,the split-diamond on the headstock ain`t pointy and sharp like a real logo !

-btw,here`s a small photo of a fret end nib ! :)

Attachments

• binding-nub.jpg
    binding-nub.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 12

Latest Threads