how to save money on a new epiphone les paul..any model

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought id share with you all a technique i use to save money on all my guitars that i buy new in the uk

I firstly decide on the guitar i want. .search google to see who is cheapest in the uk..most are very close

Cheapest in europe is thomann in germany.. (cant find anyone cheaper)

I then call up a few guitar stores in the uk..tell them thomann are cheaper and ask them to price match or beat..a few of them will beat or match it..

Most of them will say sorry we only match uk..but some will beat it..once one store beats it then u now how a cheap uk price and at that point you can either accept and pay or simply call around again and ask them to beat the cheapest uk price..

For example..the new slash rosso corsa is 679 gbp..thomann are 630..theres 50 saved straight away..called up a few storea..gak said theyd do it for 600..theres 80 saved..i then called my local store who said they do it slightly cheaper and i could even collect and save delivery costs and get it same day..

This works with all guitars and gear in stock in thomann and the uk..

Just thought id share this to save u all money..ive saved 120 on the slash new price just by sending a few emails or making calls..worth it in my book

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Or buy 'better than new, but for less money'...
wink.gif

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
Yeah or theres that..if Clive has what your after try him first..

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
Most stores not only guitar stores will price match if you ask , for them it's simply a sale and they can easily replace stock so as long as they get a reasonable markup they'll cut the price. I remember going round the stores in Denmark Street years ago and all were happy to undercut the advertised price just to secure the sale.

chasenblues

Reaction score
You Brits are a sneaky lot aren't you?

Calling around to get a better price based on quotes from other stores,

Magnificent!!:applause:

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Oh, I prefer to shop at my local mom&pop shop in "Stairville"....
usually I don't pay exactly what's listed online....:D

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
I only started doing this as i worked for an electrical company a few years ago..a guy wanted to but a tv..we had it for 1000 gbp..he phoned another store who knocked it down to 900..he them called another store who knocked it down 850 with free delivery..free speaker kit..free installation..basically called loads of store who each beat the last price and added something extra..turns out he came back to us and got it for 600 with loads of extra plus extended warranty etc..
got me thinking..could i do that when i but a guitar? Gave it a try and it worked ha

Alty

Reaction score
Oh, I prefer to shop at my local mom&pop shop in "Stairville"....
usually I don't pay exactly what's listed online....:D

Pic snip....

Isn't that Thomann's?....and is that grass on the roof tops of the buildings? (Colour blind), got to love it if it is....

A lot of major general retails (John Lewis, Currys, etc....) stores 'Price Match' in the UK and thankfully it does filter down to the smaller 'exclusive' retailers as everyone wants/needs your hard earned moola....

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Isn't that Thomann's?....and is that grass on the roof tops of the buildings? (Colour blind), got to love it if it is....

A lot of major general retails (John Lewis, Currys, etc....) stores 'Price Match' in the UK and thankfully it does filter down to the smaller 'exclusive' retailers as everyone wants/needs your hard earned moola....

Yep, it is...and it is grass on the rooftops

though meanwhile there are some more buildings done
and some more in the work...

Thomann Company History - Thomann UK

the ^^ year 2000 entry says it all ...

:wave:

rem22

Reaction score
The last guitar I've bought I've paid between 50 to 80€ more than the best prices on internet. But the guy has a lot of stock, it costs money, I've spent the afternoon playing all the guitars I wanted, the guy is a luthier and he does a pro set-up on it with the strings of my choice, he also offers a gigbag.
I believe this is worth non-negociating and is totally worth the price. I've also bought 3 guitars from Thomann and I am very happy with them. You can't ask a local guitar store to reduce his prices like thomann.
How about your boss ask you to be paid like chinese are ? Today everyone wants things free, so no one makes money anymore and everyone end up unemployed. It'd be better if we pay the right prices for the stuff,'be employed and have money. But to do this, everybody have to play by the rules.

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
Yeah i agree with all of that however for every person like me who tries to get the best deal and haggles..theres 10 other customers who walk into a store and pay full price so i dont think we need to worries about shops making money..all the stores i contact are large uk wide stores so its not like 1 small guitar shop..
the way i look at it is that if i can save 100 ish on a new guitar then thats a new set of pickups for one of my other guitars..

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Rem, I think there's a difference between paying an asking price and paying for what something is worth. Everyone knows a retailer needs to make a profit to stay in business.

Here's an extreme example. I dropped into a local Guitar Center to buy some Schaller Strap locks. They had what I wanted, but it was priced at $25.95. I had just left the house looking at prices on the web, which were all $15.95. If you don't know already, Musician's Friend is owned by Guitar Center. I asked if they would match the Musician's Friend price of $15.95. I even showed him the web page on his cashier computer with the price. He said I would have to bring a printed copy of the ad, even though he was looking right at it on his screen.

I said, "You mean to tell me I have to drive 15 miles back home, print out the ad, drive back here another 15 miles and an hour more of my time and present you the ad?". "Yes", was his answer. I drove back home and ordered it online for $15.95.

Another time, my band got booked at a real nice, very large club. Previously we hired a soundman to provide the PA since the club was so large. This time the soundman was already booked. I decided we could use our PA if we added some dumps (18" subwoofers) and bi-amped. This was on a Monday and I needed them by Saturday. The local GC had a few in stock. The local Parts Express also had them in stock for the same price as GC. The important point was that I could drive over and pick them up at any time.

Me being the nice guy that I am, I went to a local Mom and Pop shop and talked with an old guitar player friend that worked there. He said he could get me a pair, each $10 cheaper than the other two places. I said fine, do it. He said they would be in by Wednesday. Then no call on Wednesday. I finally called him at the end of the day on Thursday, still nothing.

Then at 15 minutes before I got off work on Friday, he called and said they were in. So now I had to run over there at Friday rush hour, get in the door and the place is packed with kids and Dads and Moms, picking out guitars, picking up repairs, debating over picks, straps, drumsticks etc.

So after another 20 minutes of waiting, my friend tells me that he hasn't unpacked them yet, because he wanted me to see them before he did. It turns out that one of the cabinets apparently got rammed by a forklift and had a big hole in the side and one corner partially crushed. So by this time the store was starting to close.

I told him how I needed them both for the gig the next night and could I bring it back and return it. Well he started whining about how much paper work it would take and how big of a deal it was and that he had already given me such a good price, yada yada. By the time, I got them out the door and loaded in my truck he was actually bitching about it.

I went ahead and just kept them cause the damage wasn't very noticeable because of the cover material, and they still sounded great. I still use them at every gig, but I have never been back to his store ever since and don't plan to ever go back in the future. Just sayin...

TheNoodler

Reaction score
I usually look in the ads to see who's playing a gig locally. Then I call up a shop a say I'm the guitar tech for so and so and he's doing a show here on such and such date and he is in desperate need of a backup guitar and we can't get one shipped out from the distributor in time, can you help us out. Then they say no problem we can sell it to you for cost. Then I have my buddy go with me dressed as said guitarist and throw attitude around at the sales guys. Works like a charm

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I usually look in the ads to see who's playing a gig locally. Then I call up a shop a say I'm the guitar tech for so and so and he's doing a show here on such and such date and he is in desperate need of a backup guitar and we can't get one shipped out from the distributor in time, can you help us out. Then they say no problem we can sell it to you for cost. Then I have my buddy go with me dressed as said guitarist and throw attitude around at the sales guys. Works like a charm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :applause:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
How about your boss ask you to be paid like chinese are ? Today everyone wants things free, so no one makes money anymore and everyone end up unemployed. It'd be better if we pay the right prices for the stuff,'be employed and have money. But to do this, everybody have to play by the rules.

Remy, this is exactly what's been happening in the US for the last 30 years. Wal Mart keeps demanding price concessions from its vendors, who have to move production to China to stay in business, which puts people out of work, which forces them to shop at Wal Mart to make their few dollars go further, which causes more US companies to move production to China to stay in business, which puts people out of work, which............

Sorry, don't want to make this a political thread.

rem22

Reaction score
Remy, this is exactly what's been happening in the US for the last 30 years. Wal Mart keeps demanding price concessions from its vendors, who have to move production to China to stay in business, which puts people out of work, which forces them to shop at Wal Mart to make their few dollars go further, which causes more US companies to move production to China to stay in business, which puts people out of work, which............

Sorry, don't want to make this a political thread.

It is worldwide. There's always someone to think that others can pay more but right now you need this super blablabla. The truth is we don't need a damn thing to play and enjoy guitars.
I can understand some of us, sometimes me too, want to have a particular model and you need to go on the internet. That's the case for Peter and his FGN, good luck if you want to find one in a local store. That was me for my strat FSR, since this is a 60th anniversary Thomann edition.
But when you go in the store, I think you can talk about the price with the seller, but asking them to match an internet dealer prices seems not really polite and fair in my world. Not even moving your ass to the store, just over a phone call is even worse I think. Sorry OP, that's my honest opinion.

Of course some guitar stores can be jerk too, they don't let you try the guitars or lie to try to sell you anything they have in stock.

A good service, whatever the domain, deserves an extra fee.
It is like Clive business. I would not negociate a guitar with him, he does a good job, he's serious and dedicated, he deserves to be paid what he asks for. I would not tell him to match uncle Joe's price because uncle Joe has the same guitar with equivalent wiring for 30€ less. Either I buy directly from uncle Joe either I pay Clive the asked price.

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
A good service, whatever the domain, deserves an extra fee.
It is like Clive business. I would not negociate a guitar with him, he does a good job, he's serious and dedicated, he deserves to be paid what he asks for. I would not tell him to match uncle Joe's price because uncle Joe has the same guitar with equivalent wiring for 30€ less. Either I buy directly from uncle Joe either I pay Clive the asked price.

Well that's super-kind of you Rémy and of course, your words are greatly appreciated
friends.gif

I guess the key difference here is that we have established a rapport and a mutual appreciation - that kind of personal connection doesn't normally enter the equation in a bout of price-matching...

It's difficult for people to feel any kind of affinity with a 'big-box store' and to be fair, it's almost impossible for those guys to get to know many of their customers beyond a name on a ticket too

Latest Threads