How to rewire/restore a broken P/J Clone Bass? (detailed photos included)

niceties55

Reaction score
I just got a precision/ Jazz clone bass with some wiring issues. Most of the wires are still plugged in and seem to work great, but there are a couple of wires that I have to re-solder.

The black cable comes from the bottom P-Bass pickup. The yellow cable with the white cable coming out of it comes from the bottom J-Bass pickup.

I was wondering if anyone had any wiring diagrams or knows where I should solder the three cables?

I am especially curious about the yellow cable with the small white cable coming out. Where would that go?

IMG_9594.jpg IMG_9595.jpg

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is guesswork but here’s where I would start:

The yellow wire is shielded co-ax so I would expect the outer braid to go to ground and the inner white wire to be ‘hot’ for that pickup?

Fender-type pickups usually have two wires (not co-ax) of which one is black and is the ground wire, so I would solder that to ground and see if you get sound.

BadPenguin

Reaction score

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Try to make out "your" diagram and sort out your wires following this SD one.
The P bass pickup is actually two pickups you have to "wire together"
as they go to the pot.

upload_2020-8-2_13-6-42-jpeg.3928798

cmjohnson

Reaction score
The Seymour Duncan website has a fantastic collection of wiring schemes for all kinds of guitars and combinations of pickups and electronics. Many of us bookmark it and refer to it any time we have a wiring question.

Latest Threads