How to re-string with grover locking tuners?

alanucc

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Im having trouble with tuning stability on my LP Standard 08. How am i supposed to restring with the grover locking tuners?

Right now im inserting the string through the string hole, then i pull to tension by hand and lock the string, finally i start tuning. Im not giving any slack to the string. Should i give it some slack? Also if i loose the lock screw the strings get really loose is that normal?

Sorry about the dumb questions im really a noob with this tuners. Sorry for the bad english i hope you can understand my point. Thank you!

ehamady6

Reaction score
I use Grover locking tuners and firmly pull the string through the hole in the post by hand but not very tight. While holding the string with my hand, I give the tuner a turn or 2 for the locking cam to engage and clamp on the string before the post actually turns and the string begins to wind. Then I tune the string and it stays locked in tune. You can see in this pic that my E, A, and D strings aren't even wrapped around their posts one full time:

ehamady6-albums-ehamady6-album-picture9543-impaler-trc.jpg

alanucc

Reaction score
Thnx!! i found it!, the video shows how to restring a gretsch with sperzel locking tuners, they seem to work the same way as the grover ones.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuVEeeOkNc]YouTube - Gretsch Guitars - Tech Tips - Restringing Your Locking Tuner Equipped Gretsch[/ame]

~Albatross~

Reaction score
My question is that since the string isn't getting would around the post very much, are you still able to put the guitar into special tunings such as drop-D or dropping the A down to G? It doesn't seem like there would be enough string wrapped around the post to allow the pitch to be lowered very much. Anyone?

FFXIhealer

Reaction score
I built my Warmoth strat with Schaller locking tuners. They work the same way.

I usually keep the guitar in Eb tuning, but I can drop down to Db very easily. And my strings don't wrap around at all.

The pitch is given by how much tension is on the string. With those lower strings, it only takes a tiny adjustment to change pitch.

Give it a try for yourself. It's the only way you'll know for sure.

1985 Marshall Lead 12 MS
2011 Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Fender American Special Stratocaster
Hagstrom Ultra-Swede
Custom Warmoth Strat with S/D pickups

AxeBuilder

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Im having trouble with tuning stability on my LP Standard 08. How am i supposed to restring with the grover locking tuners?

Right now im inserting the string through the string hole, then i pull to tension by hand and lock the string, finally i start tuning. Im not giving any slack to the string. Should i give it some slack? Also if i loose the lock screw the strings get really loose is that normal?

Sorry about the dumb questions im really a noob with this tuners. Sorry for the bad english i hope you can understand my point. Thank you!

Do any particular strings go out of tune? G or B perhaps? Did you pre-stretch the strings at all?

Latest Threads