How to mix these speakers...?

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got one of these older vertical Mesa 2x12" cabs with the closed bottom and open top:

I also have a new Mesa Lonestar 2x12" that can be either an open or closed back:

These are the speakers that I have:
1 Electro Voice EVM-12L (came in the closed part of the vertical 2x12)
1 Mesa branded Vintage 30 (made in UK)
2 Celestion Creamback G12H-75
2 Celestion Creamback G12M-65

So here's my question: what speakers should I put where? I'm curious about opinions, especially with mixing speakers like the M65 and H75 together in the Lonestar cab. Some people like to mix a Creamback and Vintage 30, etc, etc.

Last edited:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would try the 65 and the 30
Preference for which cab? I was considering doing those in the Lonestar cab, mostly running closed.

What amps are you running?
Good question, Mostly a Mesa Triple Crown 50, but also sometimes a Suhr Badger 35. Those are the only heads that I have right now.

I play rock, blues, roots/folk, grunge, some metal, etc. I have a 1965 Fender Pro Reverb for the lighter stuff, so these would be for the heavier stuff, though it's mostly in the realm of Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, and nothing heavier than Alice in Chains, Porcupine Tree, Opeth or Katatonia (I've been REALLY into stuff like Katatonia lately), etc. So I don't need super tight modern metal sounds.

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
I've got one of these older vertical Mesa 2x12" cabs with the closed bottom and open top:

I love those 80's (90's?) Boogie cabs with the expanded metal grills....recently saw a couple 4x12's on CL for around $300+...they disappeared quick.

I have a V30 and a G12H30 in a Sourmash vert 2x12...sounds amazing.

redking

Reaction score
I would be tempted to start by mixing whichever is the brighter speaker between the H and the M with the Vintage 30 and see what that sounded like.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love those 80's (90's?) Boogie cabs with the expanded metal grills....recently saw a couple 4x12's on CL for around $300+...they disappeared quick.

I have a V30 and a G12H30 in a Sourmash vert 2x12...sounds amazing.
Yeah, I paid more for my 2x12 and then saw two 4x12 cabs go on sale for $350. I would definitely have snatched one up, but they were a couple of hours away. It's a great cab, currently loaded with the EVM-12L and a G12H-75.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's that I prefer open back for 2 X 12 cabs. Closed for 4 X 12. I 'm not a fan of the resonance and directionality of most any 2 X12 closed cabs I've heard. I've got a 2X12 cab loaded with V30 and it sounds great.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A quick update (not that anyone cares), but the vertical 2x12" is at a friend's rehearsal space with the EVM-12L and a Celestion Creamback G12H-75 in it, and I haven't had access to it lately. So I've been mixing and matching the Vintage 30, two M-65s, and the other H-75 in the Lonestar cab.

I've got to say: I really don't like the Creamback M-65 speakers much at all, personally. I had them in an old Fender Pro Reverb and they sounded good in there (a little less efficient and they tamed some of the brightness), but with my Mesa Triple Crown and Suhr Badger 35, I don't like them at all. I replaced them with two Neo Creambacks in the Pro Reverb, which I do like the sound (and weight!) of a lot, so I'm happy with the Pro Reverb now. I think I'll be selling these Creamback G12M-65s, though.

My favorite combination has been one Vintage 30 and one Creamback H-75. They aren't worlds apart, but the H-75 has more lows and airy high and just "helps out" the Vintage 30 where it's lacking (the Vintage 30 is much more focused). It also means that the Vintage 30 isn't extremely dominant and icepicky; I get a lot of cut and aggression without the downside of running only Vintage 30s. At least that's my impression playing at home so far.

So, Vintage 30 paired with G12H-75 = big win in my opinion!

Latest Threads