How to identify model?

Scottz

Reaction score
I found an LP listed locally, current owner took it in trade. He doesn't know if it's a Classic, Traditional or Standard. Plain truss rod cover. Serial says its a 2010. He says it has no weight relief and has coil taps. How would I go about getting an idea which model it is, other than calling Gibson?

Attachments

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Zebras
Coil Splits
Locking Tuners

Those are features of a Traditional Pro.

Pull the bridge pickup to look inside the bottom of cavity and there should be handwritten letters of the model name.

Serial Numbers are not useful for identifying model.

YDDDYBPPP

YY = Year
DDD = Day of Year
B = Batch Number
PPP = Production Rank Number

Last edited:

Scottz

Reaction score
I can't remember, is it OK to ask value questions here? Just curious what a fair price would be if it is a Traditional Pro. Current listing on Reverb are at about $1800 and up.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
U can always look under the pups

heres a couple of mine…most have it, some dont
one is an hp std(I routed a 3rd pup) and the other an hour trad

CCCDF195-E020-4ED7-BE75-E814280CEAB6.jpeg
3487A3DB-B224-4D13-8C12-2F845412B9D7.jpeg

CerebralGasket

Reaction score

tzd

Reaction score
How would I go about getting an idea which model it is, other than calling Gibson?
Simple, post as many photos as you can here. You've already got the right answer (Traditional Pro). As mentioned in the post above, serial number does not tell you anything than the year it's made. Don't trust any serial dater website you can find.

More details of your model (it's got 9-hole weight relief):

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the control cavity shows hand wired it's a Trad-Pro,...If it has a PCB it's a Standard (a 2010 standard would be fully chambered and on the light side and the pups would be covered).... If those are the original uncovered zebras it's a Trad-Pro. A Classic would have double black uncovered pups.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Yes, it looks very much like a 2010 Trad Pro. I have one, and it is an awesome guitar. It has 9-hole weight relief (mine is 9.5 lbs). I posted a pic of it for comparison, and a pic of the control cavity (the 'bottom' in the pic). Things to look for to confirm.
- Locking Grovers
- MoP Gibson logo inlay
- Antique cream binding
- Satin finish on sides, back and neck
- Gloss top
- Coil-tap push/pull on Volume knobs

Scottz

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. This is one of a few I'm considering. There's also an emerald Studio Gem Series P-90 listed locally.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. This is one of a few I'm considering. There's also an emerald Studio Gem Series P-90 listed locally.
The Trad Pro is a monster, for sure. But the top matching seam in your pic seems way off and overly prominent (that might be just due to the camera, though). That would bother me, personally, every time I opened the case. On mine, you have to look closely to even see the seam as it looks very much like a one-piece top at first. Whatever you go with, please post a NGD thread. As for price, $1750 seems on the high side -- maybe an initial bargaining position? In perfect condition, I have seen they they go closer to $1500. The market has been changing quickly, though. Good luck!

Scottz

Reaction score
The Trad Pro is a monster, for sure. But the top matching seam in your pic seems way off and overly prominent (that might be just due to the camera, though). That would bother me, personally, every time I opened the case. On mine, you have to look closely to even see the seam as it looks very much like a one-piece top at first. Whatever you go with, please post a NGD thread. As for price, $1750 seems on the high side -- maybe an initial bargaining position? In perfect condition, I have seen they they go closer to $1500. The market has been changing quickly, though. Good luck!
Yeah, if I do I was gonna go 1500 max

Latest Threads