How to I source electronics?

phydaux

Reaction score
I recently bought an Epiphone Inspired By Gibson '59 Les Paul. Epiphone makes a lot of hay over how the electronics are as period correct as possible - Gibson Burstbucker pickups, CTS pots, Mallory capacitors, Switchcraft switch & jack, and "vintage" wiring.

Well, turns out there actually is some hay there. The tone on my Epiphone '59 is just AWESOME. So much so that I want to have my Epiphone Inspired By Gibson ES-335 set up the same way. And that leads me to my question.

When it comes to pickups the answer is "easy." /roll eyes/ I can just order a set of Burstbucker Pros from Gibson (~$400 for a set). Alternatly I can order some PAFs from Seymore Duncan, either their Seth Lovers, Antiquities, or '59s (each ~$250 for a set). I'm leaning toward the '59s unless someone can come up with a good reason to get something else.

My question is mostly regarding the harness. I can totally go to StewMac and order a "Vintage Les Paul Wiring Harness" but that doesn't mean that I'll be getting CTS pots, Mallory caps, and Switchcraft switch & jack.

But StewMac WILL tell me ohmes of the pots and the capacitance of the caps. So even if I can't get the name brand parts then provided I match the specs I should get equivilent persormance.

So my first question then is what are the specs of a proper vintage Les Paul harness? And second, do you guys have a prefered vintage harness OTHER THAN the first one that pops up when you do a search on StewMac?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Stew mac actually does have CTS pots, switchcraft jack and toggle. Orange drops are very good caps but you can always switch them out for your choice.

phydaux

Reaction score
So rather than purchase a whole harness you recommend I buy pieces singly?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So rather than purchase a whole harness you recommend I buy pieces singly?
depends on how good you are with a soldering iron. I enjoy building my own harnesses. That way I have full quality control...choice of pots, tapers, values, caps....
But your work has to be clean!

Redsquare

Reaction score
I’d just change the pickups and change it to 50s wiring. Harness/pots/caps (other than if you change the cap value) will be a subtle tone change, if anything. That being said, if you can tailor the pot value, that could have some benefit to changing, as well as the longevity, depending on what pots it came with.

My epi has full size alpha pots, so they are fine. The 50s wiring was definitely a good mod though.

Roxy13

Reaction score
You can always order separate components too to just get what you want. I think Stewmac does sell Mallory caps. You can always check on the price difference too between ordering the kit and ordering everything separate. Or the kit and Mallory caps as well if that's what you want.

Dilver

Reaction score
If you‘re able to solder, you can assemble a wiring harness - pots, switches, jack, ground, etc, yourself. There are countless diagrams and videos on websites and youtube.

phydaux

Reaction score
I still haven’t gotten an answer to the very first question that I asked. What value for the pots? What value for the caps?

Roxy13

Reaction score
SM does have Mallorys in 0.022 uF. I thought they did as someone I make a lot of harnesses for likes them, and I thought that was where I got more from the last time.

Latest Threads