how to harden a finish?

treatb

Reaction score
hello, i am wondering, is there way to harden the finish on my guitar? to sort of shrink it. what if i put it in a uv light oven for a while, would that do anything compared to the 50 years of light's effect on the original bursts?

ARandall

Reaction score
You are going to do nothing useful, or effective there. The finishes in the 50s had a different less additive based formula. That is the a reason for their hardness, not some UV based exposure.
Modern clear was modified so it resists cold and heat better, and also chips less readily. Once it has cured and buffed it stays that way....that is what it is engineered to do after all. Old guitars often exhibit minor pore sinkage, but that's more about the wood and it's long term moisture equilibrium than the finish.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I bought a new Trad in 2016 and the finish had a very slight sticky feel to it, at first. I just left it sit out on a stand for several weeks and it felt better than ever. Still gig with it every weekend and the finish is hard as a rock.

Is your guitar new? Does it feel sticky?

moreles

Reaction score
If it's nitro it will cure and harden more over time, but as A Randall said, if it's a modern formulation, it's just not the same stuff as the older mix that ages so beautifully. I know of no way to make the new substance the same as the older version. It might be possible that a new guitar can make it to the consumer with a sufficient but not really advanced curing going on, and that you may be able to feel it firm up over time, but that's stretch, I think. Hand moisture can make a guitar feel sticky -- if there's more than that, something's not right. People do sometimes use polishes or cleaners that destabilize the finish.