How to fix very tight tuner posts?

Mike M

Reaction score
I have a vintage firebird from 67 and the tuners are giving me a tough time. The original tuner holes must have been drilled, slightly off because with the tuners out of the headstock, they are smooth and easy to turn. When I put them in the headstock, the become extremely tight and very hard to turn. The tuners are Kluson 6 on a plate so they have to all go on at the same time. You can tell that the holes are off because, in order to push them into the headstock, it requires a firm push and does not easily slide into the bushings. Any tips to increase the diameter inside of the bushing? I thought about using a drill bit that was a hair larger than the posts, but all of the bits I have are much larger than what is needed. Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks

Qam

Reaction score
Shouldn't a 67 Firebird originally utilize Rotomatic banjo tuners?

Send pics! Of the guitar.

ARandall

Reaction score
The hole in the guitar is way wider than the bushing and the tuner shaft. If the tuner is not going through the bushing even before it is being 'located' by the position of the rest of the tuner housings then it is not the holes in the headstock that are the issue.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Figure out which holes are off center. Then use your dremel with a small sanding drum that fits in the holes and carefully sand out just a little bit of the side of the offending holes until things fit nicely. You won't need to take off much at all.

Mike M

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the Dremel opening up the bushings slightly. I misspoke on my initial post. My Firebird is a 65, not 67. I didn't have a chance to take pics of my guitar, but I attached one from the internet that looks identical to mine.

Attachments

Qam

Reaction score
That's dicey to assess over one photo, because if the intermittent post tension is due to impact to the gear shell or shaft, a peg hole enlargement is not the solution.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Your Firebird should have had banjo tuners on it, I think.

You can get those now. I suggest going back to them.

cherrick

Reaction score
Shouldn't a 67 Firebird originally utilize Rotomatic banjo tuners?

Send pics! Of the guitar.
What if the Firebird is NOT a reverse?
Does the guitar have P90 pickups?

Last edited:

Latest Threads