How to fix this?

LP1865

Reaction score
If it's working, why touch it.
One of my pots does this too, but it works fine

smk506

Reaction score
if it does that same kind of move and go back motion on both ends of the knob (10 and 0) then it’s likely the pot is a little loose and it just needs the nut tightened a bit.

You can move it a little because that’s the amount of travel one of the wires is allowing for, and when you let it go, said wires pull it back into place, or close.

At least that’s been the culprit when I’ve had that happen.

Reaction score
if it does that same kind of move and go back motion on both ends of the knob (10 and 0) then it’s likely the pot is a little loose and it just needs the nut tightened a bit.

You can move it a little because that’s the amount of travel one of the wires is allowing for, and when you let it go, said wires pull it back into place, or close.

At least that’s been the culprit when I’ve had that happen.
Is this what you mean by the nut?
pot nut.jpg

Mine only floppy at 10.
The nut is tightened all the way down

smk506

Reaction score
Yup, that’s them. Sorry it wasn’t the same issue, would have been nice for such an easy fix to work.

I guess like LP said above, if it’s working properly and you don’t want to replace it (I probably wouldn’t either) trying your best to ignore it is probably the best bet.

Do let us know if you figure it out though, it’s an interesting problem.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
You might be missing the Star washer on the inside of the guitar. The little prongs on the Star washer bite into the wood and keep the pot from turning. Over time, if the whole pot is turning, metal fatigue may cause one or more of the wires connected to the pot to break. To check for this, remove the back cover plate and see if the pot moves when you turn the knob all the way.

JHMvP

Reaction score
Did you resolve this already?

My very first thought was a sloppy or worn out DIY no-load pot alteration with nail polish...but that can only be if not the whole pot is turning.

Reaction score
I
Did you resolve this already?

My very first thought was a sloppy or worn out DIY no-load pot alteration with nail polish...but that can only be if not the whole pot is turning.
I didn't fix it. Can you explain your post?
Seems like you mistyped something or my english just plain sucks

JHMvP

Reaction score
If it doesn't stick at 10...the pot might be altered with nail-polish and become buggy...

Latest Threads