How to connect your guitar to a PC

straybeat

Reaction score
Hey guys, I posted this elsewhere and forgot about here. DUH!

Some dude on Google just posted an article for hooking your guitar to a PC for under $6. Those of you who know me know that I'm a geek into recording with software as opposed to setting up a room full of mics and a recorder (I'm partially disabled now and can't do all that work anymore). So check this out if interested;

HOW TO CONNECT A GUITAR TO A PC (in under $6, no amp required)

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried this on my old PC and it worked great. Sounded pretty damn good too. I did not try layering tracks although the software I had would do that.

Didn't cost me a penny because I already had the jack adapter.

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
Or get one of these for less than $11.00.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Bass-Cable-Adapter-Recording/dp/B00834KJ60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425678196&sr=8-1&keywords=guitar+jack+to+usb[/ame]

Or get a Rocksmith RealTone cable for around $30 and then have an extra, but then you'd already have your guitar connected to your PC.

:dunno:

:laugh2:

straybeat

Reaction score
Or get one of these for less than $11.00.

Amazon.com: Guitar Bass To USB Link Cable Adapter for PC/MAC Recording: Computers & Accessories

Or get a Rocksmith RealTone cable for around $30 and then have an extra, but then you'd already have your guitar connected to your PC.

:dunno:

:laugh2:
I use an M-Audio box myself, but it's made for a guitar and mic both (or whatever else) and is a far more expensive solution, but it was a gift. :D

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-M-Track-2-Channel-Portable-Interface/dp/B00BQ6KSK4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425678568&sr=8-3&keywords=m-audio]Amazon.com: M-Audio M-Track Plus 2-Channel Portable USB Audio and MIDI Interface with Digital I/O, Ignite by AIR and Pro Tools: Musical Instruments[/ame]

Otto tune

Reaction score
My neighbor uses a Carvin amp that has a 1/4" send. He adapted it down to the stereo mini into his sound card, and does pretty nice stuff.

Years ago, I wanted to do a voice over for a friend's birthday. I researched the "line in" on sound cards, and although they work, it's neither stereo or balanced line in. What it is is "Undefined". There doesn't appear to be a standard.

I'll stick to the USB.