How rare is this rare Greco?

japikid

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am here to test your knowledge again. I have this person holding on to this guitar for me. I have to make him an offer but have no idea. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Serial number is C816552. So would it be a 1978 or a 1981? Is this a EG59-150 Limited Edition? And what color would you call it? I asked him how much but just said make me an offer. Don't want to affend him but don't want to get a smack in the face either.LOL. If you know what I mean. I am thinking around the $1,500 mark. Am I close?
Cheers,

Attachments

dangerdog

Reaction score
Might be really rare but doesn't seem that desirable to me. Offer $500.

Mr Teeny

Reaction score

dangerdog

Reaction score
I guess if it was really a rare one the japanese buyers would have been out in force.
but it is rare..can't deny that...just collectors would rather have Dry Z pups and no extra limited edition markings....

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
but it is rare..can't deny that...just collectors would rather have Dry Z pups and no extra limited edition markings....
Just meant that the rarity doesn't neccessarily add that much to the value. Like you say collectors would much rather have dry z's rather than Gibson PU's.

rastafred

Reaction score
This listing was quite a bargain if you consider the Greco Super Real hard case. And those Gibson PU mounted tend to be pricey. Not this time.

slapshot

Reaction score
i've got one of them greco steel rimmed cases and it's as useless as tits on a bull
the same case shaped for a tele though is fantastic

BGD

Reaction score
Interesting. There's a Greco SA 70 (?) for sale that has that same thing---the Gibby pups. Pretty sweet looking guitar, but not sure it's really worth extra scratch. What I mean to say, actually, is that it may be for an individual (who thinks it's awesome to have a hybrid kinda thing), but this doesn't make it a more broadly valuable guitar in terms of us MIJ-addicts.

eBay link (more/better pics): Greco Limited With Gibson Pickups from factory 335/330 | eBay
C-List link: Greco Limited W/ Gibson Pickups

p.s. That's not to say I wouldn't accept this as a gift.
p.p.s. Or buy it for 700 bucks.

japikid

Reaction score
Great stuff thanks. That sure changes my price. What year do you think it is and does anyone know about "C" starting on the serial number?
Thanks.

japikid

Reaction score
I considered that one but went a bit high for me, guess it's a violin burst colour cost him around $675 + any fees/shipping etc.

Dunno if the 45 out of 50 really adds any value and the gibson PU's didn't do much for me either, I guess if it was really a rare one the japanese buyers would have been out in force.
Hi, Where did you find this auction style link? Can you buy from it or do you? It would be a lot cheaper cutting out the middle man and getting it direct. Also do they use ENGLISH?? That might be difficult to ask any questions.:hmm:

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
Hi, Where did you find this auction style link? Can you buy from it or do you? It would be a lot cheaper cutting out the middle man and getting it direct. Also do they use ENGLISH?? That might be difficult to ask any questions.:hmm:
The letter at the start of the serial denotes the month a=jan b = feb etc next two numbers show the year on that style of greco serial

so C816552 is March 1981 other numbers are production numbers for the month Greco guitars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most on here buy from the japanese version of ebay yahoo japan, Yahoo! if you use chrome browser it'll do the translation automatically to english for you.

You do need to use one of the proxy bidding sites to buy though as japanese sellers just don't ship overseas unlike some ebay sellers. Search this forum for Jauce, rinkya and kuboten as they;re the main ones people seem to use. Obviously you have to factor in the proxy's fees,possible customs fees and shipping but on the whole you'll be getting a much better deal buying direct

japikid

Reaction score
Thanks all, but the guy sold it to someone else.Guess I took to long. I will try and buy direct. Thanks for the help and info. You guys really know your stuff. Cheers

Danthemainman

Reaction score
I just got me one of those :)

It`s nr 47 / 50.
Payed 1590$ for it :shock:
(A bit on the high side)
It has a few dings and scratches ,
and not the original case or pick-guard.
Got a nice ARIA-HardCase with it instead.
But the guitar is still in quite good shape
and a player out`a hell!!
And the mounted Gibson T-tops are SWEET!!

I have Gibsons and other Grecos.
But this is cream i tell you!
It`s one of the top-two-best LP`s i ever owned or tried.
and i`ve owned a few,and tried even more.
My EG1000 is equally good, and my Gibson hardly comes close.

I know i payed quite a lot for it , but it is a
Greco Super Real Custom Limited EG(F)1500 i think.
(what i found out after some research)
And i live in Norway , prices are "a bit" higher here.
So compared to what you get here for that kind of $,
i am quite happy with the purchase :)

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear that, I think the price is not that bad at all if you got it in Norway and most of all you love the guitar. I like the customs they made in that color with the split inlay, they look really classy to me.

Danthemainman

Reaction score

I love this color too!
It`s the third one i own that`s Greco LP Custom with this finish.
The first one was a Mint Collection from 87`(sold it)
The second one is a Super Power from 81`(still got that one)
and now this one :)

Latest Threads