How on earth do people work nights??

Deftone

Reaction score
In the Army we spent one week every month out in the field training. I drove a M925 5 ton and we towed an M198 155mm Howitzer. We moved 2x a day, at noon and at midnight. Tearing down, and packing up could take an hour, driving to the next site could take 1-2 hours, and setting up would take another hour. Everyone had two hours of guard duty every nite as well. So the only time you could really sleep was when we were driving to the next site. Everyone would sleep on top of the ammo in the back of the truck, except me. I was driving. If you think we could take naps during the day, forget it. If you weren't digging foxholes and trenches for com lines, you were filling them back in or on a fire mission. At some point we all just gave up and stayed up all night for a week. Good times.

182935_1838458370200_4825604_n.jpg

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day when there was a thriving live music scene and you could make a good living working clubs 5 nights a week, I loved working nights! A typical night would be arrive at the club around 7 for soundcheck, go on around 10 and play to 1 or so. I soon discovered that I didn't need 8 hrs of sleep, I had my days free to get stuff done and most importantly to my hormone-riddled, teen mind, the boyfriends and dads of all the girls who came to see us at night were all at work during the day, leaving the ladies free to be entertained by me. :cool:

I rode that pony for some years too... 5-6 nights/wk pretty much.... and worked at a musico during the day....later in college getting another degree.... Not a problem....

Did a stretch teaching college where I taught day and nights for several yrs stretch. Had a 0700 class and then worked at the IT company during the day for some years... Back to the college to teach nights until about 2020hrs and head home...

Playing 5-6 nights/wk for some time, working at night was easy after that was over...especially bailing at 2020hrs...lots earlier than 0200 or later when playing.... I never needed more than a few hours sleep so it wasn't rough on me... For a good while I had become accustomed to 3 1/2 to 4 hrs.... I could hit deep sleep quick... I guess your body learns to adapt over time.... I was prone to nap on Sunday afternoons though....

My dad always worked second shift on base on aircraft.... I asked him why and he said when he clocked in at about 1500hrs, all the damn suits were pretty much outa there....soooooo, he could keep his aircraft in shape without having to deal with folks that had no business being near aircraft.... Only exception was a couple of pocket protectors that drove around the pad on occasion pissing av mechanics off. After one of his infamous Red-X episodes (Dad was crew chief/flight eng), they gave him a wide berth until he retired... They were told to not even drive near his tie downs out on the end of the pad....

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Afternoon shift at Chrysler's Dodge Truck Assembly plant, 5:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. Sucked the big suck.

Then later worked at the post office as a mail clerk, midnights sorting mail, 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. Sucked even more because the neighbor would always decide to start cutting his lawn as soon as I hit the rack when I got home, and if not him the phone ... you know, one of the old ones with the built-in bells would start ringing off the frickin' hook.
phone2.jpg

Keep those shifts and your shift premiums. Give me days.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
When I was a young buck in finance in NYC, we worked continuously until the work was done. There were plenty of mornings when I went back to the apartment between 3-4am, took a two-hour nap, did the three Ss and went right back to the office. Normal dinner time was 8pm-mignight. We had a caterer (Max, Polish guy who made good food) in our building that would bring us breakfast and lunch so we didn't need to go out to get food. To stay sane, I'd do an hour or two in the gym (two blocks from the office) each evening. Working on the weekends? Expected. I can remember being pretty beat, every now and then.

When I started taking Adderall (legal speed) in my 40s, I could do close to that no problem. I'd normally go to bed around 3am and roll at around 6-7am. Never missed the bus or hockey practice. Also, could take clients and others out for the night and rock until dawn.

Now? Man I f*cking hate the morning...*

*I used to love being the first one up and having alone time. Now, I have a lot of alone time. So, when the cats and dogs get up with the sun...I'm less pleased. I'm going to add blackout shades to every room in my place to try to keep these ****ers from harassing me at dawn.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I worked a 1900 to 0300 shift at an office warehouse fulfillment facility. Got home kind of late but not a whole lot different from my clubbing days, with the absence of alcohol, of course. It was an ok job but lawdy, the goddam radios. Ugh. WRKO out of Boston and it was during the holidays. I got to loathe the commercials for chip implants in kid as much as the christmas music. When I was asked if I'd consider joining full time, I said something to the effect of 'but for the radios' and the fucker blacklisted me. I got a call at 7:45 the next morning telling me not to go in and I never got another assignment from the agency again.

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
I work a twelve hour shift from 1800-0600, six weeks per year during our refueling outages. Straight through, no days off.

Before I took the office gig I currently have I worked several jobs on midnights. Whenever we were gonna do something that might draw a lot of attention -like a heavy lift for example- we'd do it on midnights. Usually the safety dickhead wasn't there nor was the brass.

05jrock

Reaction score
I worked a 1900 to 0300 shift at an office warehouse fulfillment facility. Got home kind of late but not a whole lot different from my clubbing days, with the absence of alcohol, of course. It was an ok job but lawdy, the goddam radios. Ugh. WRKO out of Boston and it was during the holidays. I got to loathe the commercials for chip implants in kid as much as the christmas music. When I was asked if I'd consider joining full time, I said something to the effect of 'but for the radios' and the fucker blacklisted me. I got a call at 7:45 the next morning telling me not to go in and I never got another assignment from the agency again.

Night time radio use to be the best.
The only rock radio station we had would just have 1 DJ that would finish at midnight, After midnight it was almost non stop music with an occasional advert on. It was great.
Come 6am the morning DJ's started with their non stop blah blah, That's when we knew it was almost time to go home for the day

Latest Threads