How on earth do people work nights??

questionman

Reaction score
I am doing a cleaning validation on one of our more complex production lines at work this week, and with some staffing changes over the past year the bulk of the knowledge of the equipment is on 2nd shift. So I decided to bump my hours back to 2:30-midnight for a few days to tap into that. IDK how people can work this late. My typical day ends between 7-8 so I have plenty of overlap but this 10-midnight stretch is rough. Could not even imagine what it would be like to work a 3rd shift, no wonder some of these people look like walking zombies.

05jrock

Reaction score
Ive worked 7pm - 7 am for 16 years. I sleep all day is how I do it.

Ive always liked working nights bec I really like to sleep all day long :)

my life goes against the traffic

I was the same when working nights, 9pm -7am. It was great.
Go to the supermarket in the morning and there was hardly anyone there, Then go home and sleep all day

questionman

Reaction score
I do totally get and love the peaceful work environment sitting in an open office with 15 people talking back and forth is incredibly annoying, so this is nice but I am dead

Sleeping all day though? Gotta have a little sun in my life from time to time, plus the heat in the summer?

Acmotors

Reaction score
Worked ten years as part of railroad train crew. Was on call 24/7, never worked the same hours on any given day, it was an insane way to live.
It's either the right way, the wrong way or the railway.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked 11-7 at night for maybe a year back in the 70's and it was great.
When you are getting off work all the others are just going to work.
Friday morning you are starting basically a 3 day weekend..

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked 11:00pm - 7:30am all week for years, and it permanently screwed up my sleep cycle. I felt it was impossible to have decent relationships on that schedule, you feel like you're just a ship passing by everyone else who lives in the "real world". Then, on your days off, you usually try to break your sleep habit so you can spend time with the people in your life, before it's back to work all week again. You're always tired because you never sleep well, or very much; just when you're trying to go to sleep, the whole world is wide awake and usually making noise somewhere, even if it's just the chattering birds at your window sill. I had to barricade my bedroom windows to block out the sunlight, it's amazing how just a single hole the size of a pencil can illuminate the whole bedroom on a bright sunny day at 2:00pm - it's literally like having a 2,000 lumens flashlight on.

danohat

Reaction score
I'm a typical seasonal guy. Up at 5, down at 10. If I'm forced to go out at night I am pretty beat.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My senior year of high school was working morning tower (10pm to 6am) on a drilling rig.

Not my favorite. I liked evening tower (2pm to 10pm) a lot better.

One rig I worked on in the Summer did rotating shifts, 21 days on 7 days off. That was pretty cool. With the rotating shifts every 7 days, you still got another long weekend in there.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy would say he really doesn't have a choice

download.jpg

Latest Threads