How often do you come up with new songs?

cjpeck

Reaction score
if you don't write, you won't write. Just fucking write. if it sucks, great. you wrote. write again. write some more. One line out of 100 was good? even better, now you have a good line. What do you have if you don't write? you have fucking nothing. Write every day. Set a timer- "i'm going to write now for a half hour". And then write for a half an hour. IF you write, you will write. If you wait until you feel creative you will never write a damn thing. Creativity isn't something that comes out of the sky like lightning, it's something you summon. You have to write to have written. Put the pen to the paper and write.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get riffs in my head while I'm walking home, but they disappear as soon as I pick up a guitar. Words come to me all the time and I write those down when I get a chance. Then I never follow up. I'm generally better at lyrics that tunes. I have to learn to plug into a DAW whenever I noodle, and keep video going so I can see what I did.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I rarely write a complete song by myself. I tend to like having a writing partner.

We have a primary songwriter in my band and he'll come to me sometimes with ideas and ask for help with transitions, bridges, etc. Or I'll hand him a progression or chorus I've been toying with and he'll come back with a finished song. How often this happens depends on how often we're getting together. Sadly less so now that we're older and have many more responsibilities.

Rds

Reaction score
Some new idea comes out often when I play. Happens all the time. I record to remember with my phone. When in the other room I record directly into a Mackie interface from my marshall with reaper. I don't have the full music room up right now or I'd be doing guitar, bass, and drums. Hopefully will have everything set up soon.

defcrew

Reaction score
I rarely write a complete song by myself. I tend to like having a writing partner.

We have a primary songwriter in my band and he'll come to me sometimes with ideas and ask for help with transitions, bridges, etc. Or I'll hand him a progression or chorus I've been toying with and he'll come back with a finished song. How often this happens depends on how often we're getting together. Sadly less so now that we're older and have many more responsibilities.
This is the ultimate way to write IMO and, unfortunately, one I have not been able to enjoy enough. Takes a lot of sympatico and ego suppression.

Al Walker

Reaction score
I come up with riffs all the time. I just can't write words for S**t. I've performed two originals when I gigged. I have a few that need words. I need a partner to finish any more songs.

Zungle

Reaction score
Songs....never

Riffs, rhythms .......2-3 a week....usually pretty simplistic and weak.

redjunior

Gak!.... Bozos!
Reaction score
Got many reels of tape to revisit, just need to get everything set up. And I suck at getting things set up, been in bad shape for the last ten years, but things are looking up...
I do need to find an 8 channel interface to get some things from tape into this newfangled DAW I have now...

John

Reaction score
Inspiration comes at random intervals for me. I still get some random ideas here and there, and I've made sure to at least have some way of recording them or logging them for future use.

mdubya

Reaction score
I've definitely written several dozen songs. I don't worry about it so much anymore, but a few keepers still tumble out from time to time. 3 or 4 in the last few months. I have been jamming to a lot of my own stuff with the looper lately. Been playing a couple of moldy oldies I had forgotten about, recently.

I mostly like to jam, but could see sitting down and really recording everything I can remember someday. I need one of those band in a box pedals. The last thing I seriously recorded got put on cassette!

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just need a good title that has potential. After that it's just finding a few hours undisturbed. Last week I wrote 2 in 2 days.

It has gotten a lot easier since I started transcribing covers, now I know what the pros have done and can "borrow" chord progressions, rhythms, and other ideas like they all did.

It's not that tough once you get rolling. I just transcribed this little gem, it's shocking how good simple chord changes can sound with the right feel and melody:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zisvai5zdma5prz/Hit The Ground - Lizz Wright.pdf?dl=0

DADGAD

Reaction score
I wrote a chord progression but Led Zeppelin stole it. It’s called Stairway.

Latest Threads