How much would my Sunburst 1978 LP Deluxe be worth?

Meepers

Reaction score
I’ve not been around the boards in some time. Hell I barley even play anymore. But I’ve hit a rough patch and I am looking to sell a few guitars. One of which is my 78’ LP Deluxe with what I was told came with the OHSC. My photos are getting kicked back saying they are too large, so I posted to Imgur. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• EE6A42A0-2AB3-4CAE-BDC6-616C2E70F937.jpeg
    EE6A42A0-2AB3-4CAE-BDC6-616C2E70F937.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 7EAECF75-C6F6-4378-9D4F-28B7E2C258E8.jpeg
    7EAECF75-C6F6-4378-9D4F-28B7E2C258E8.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 54

gball

Reaction score
I don't doubt its original to the guitar, but I don't think an original Gibson case. Someone here knows more than me but I have owned a bunch of mid-to-late '70s Les Pauls and each one came in either a red-lined case with a silver Gibson logo or a Chainsaw injection molded one.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Whatever someone will give you for it, is the quick and dirty answer.
Serious answer, go look at Reverb and eBay past sold items, and get a ball park figure.

Meepers

Reaction score
Whatever someone will give you for it, is the quick and dirty answer.
Serious answer, go look at Reverb and eBay past sold items, and get a ball park figure.
Reverb is looking like $4500-$5000 which is about double what I paid 10 years ago. So I’ll wanted to see if that was accurate before I start listing it locally/ semi locally.

Meepers

Reaction score
I
I don't doubt its original to the guitar, but I don't think an original Gibson case. Someone here knows more than me but I have owned a bunch of mid-to-late '70s Les Pauls and each one came in either a red-lined case with a silver Gibson logo or a Chainsaw injection molded one.
I did see 1 or 2 cases that looked the same as this one with Gibson logos on them, but no interior shots of those. All the interior shots were those massive injection molded cases, and they had the red lining as you mentioned.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess it depends on how much you want for it.

You could ask $5k and sit and wait.

Or you could ask $3k and sell it quicker.

It really comes down to how much time you have and how much patience you have....dealing with tire kickers and low ballers.

Nevertheless I wish you luck with your sale.

:cheers:

Meepers

Reaction score
Stoped in a music store while the mini me was at dance class. He’s a fender dealer, and fender collector. But he gave me a price range. And it looks like Reverb was right on current market value. I guess I’ll take some better photos and get this guy listed locally.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hey man, long time no type!!

Good to hear from you and sorry you have hit a ruff patch.

Be sure not to confuse asking price with selling price…tell the guy at the store also.

dju

Reaction score
case looks good to me provided it does have the gibson logo on the side. the case for one of my guitars from around that same year has the blue interior. it also has a whirlwind sticker and ernie ball sticker on it :)

Gridlock

Reaction score
I’d guess $3000 - $3500 if it’s nice as it looks in the photo. A non original Gibson case may drop the price $200.

Kro64

Reaction score
Nice guitar , with the back having reacted to a strap or cord in the case . I’d say ask $3. But $2,500 Is more realistic . Good luck

CoolRene

Reaction score
To give you a hint, I sold mine, very similar to yours, for 2.500 €. It was in a near mint shape.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Did Deluxes come with post '50's knows? Just noticed...
Nice guitar, tho!

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Damn...bad timing. I'd be in the market for that guitar next year. I want a Deluxe, or something with mini's, next. Dig the finish too.

Danmax

Reaction score
I’ve not been around the boards in some time. Hell I barley even play anymore. But I’ve hit a rough patch and I am looking to sell a few guitars. One of which is my 78’ LP Deluxe with what I was told came with the OHSC. My photos are getting kicked back saying they are too large, so I posted to Imgur. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Meepers, have
To give you a hint, I sold mine, very similar to yours, for 2.500 €. It was in a near mint shape.
Hi CoolRene, when did ya sell yours? I happened to be on eBay about 4-5 weeks ago, checking out the prices on the 70s LPs. I looked at a Black 1978 LP Custom, which looked to be in great shape judging by the pictures. In my first reply I sent, I inquired about some other information & also to let him know that Guitar Prices, Including Gibson Les Paul Custom's, go Up & Down, so if he truly wants, or needs to sell it now, he needs to take a lot more pictures. First off, the sellers story was, he bids on Self-Storage Units. The Unit he won had the 78 Custom in it. He went on to tell that he bid/won that Unit for a little over $1,000, maybe $1,200 for it's contents, but here was his listing price. He has that LP listed for $14,600.

Next, Just As Soon As I Could Catch My Breath, I sent him another reply, first telling him that
1: He needed to pop out the pickups & get pictures of the Pickups, the Mounting Plates, 2: Also look to see if anything is stamped or hand written inside the Pickup Cavities, and 3: While he was at it, he also needed to remove the Control Cavity Cover & get some Good Closeup Pictures of the Potentiometers and hopefully get a few closeup pictures showing the Date-Codes (Hopefully they're visible), then if so, add those pictures, and also enter any other information in the listing. His reply was, ''I wouldn't feel comfortable removing the screws, or removing the pickups and that since it's a 1978 & because it looks so good, that should be enough. (Actually, I'm hoping he was just pulling my leg with that answer lol)......

I told him that first off, pretty much anyone interested is gonna want to see those pictures, then I also said to him that I wasn't trying to burst his bubble, or try to get him pissed at me, I told him that unless his LP has a pedigree or something like ''My Name Is Pete Townshed & I Owned This Guitar'', he was way-too-high on the price. I suggested to check Reverb, but before that, Go To My-Les-Paul.com, (of course no dashes), Join the Forum, then start asking the folks here, because if anyone knows prices, and also for some good advise, it'll be on this Forum Period. Still don't know if he joined but I did check his listing about 3 weeks ago & he lowered the price to $14,100, so I'll go back there today & check to see what's going on with his auction. As much as he didn't wanna hear it, I sent another reply to him during that same time period & let him know that I had found about 6-7 1977-1979 LP Deluxe & Customs, with the most expensive at $7,000, with the lowest was at $5,400, but it didn't look that great....

Danmax

Reaction score
Meepers, Do ya still have your Deluxe? I dig the Sunburst Finish...

CoolRene

Reaction score
Hi Meepers, have

Hi CoolRene, when did ya sell yours? I happened to be on eBay about 4-5 weeks ago, checking out the prices on the 70s LPs. I looked at a Black 1978 LP Custom, which looked to be in great shape judging by the pictures. In my first reply I sent, I inquired about some other information & also to let him know that Guitar Prices, Including Gibson Les Paul Custom's, go Up & Down, so if he truly wants, or needs to sell it now, he needs to take a lot more pictures. First off, the sellers story was, he bids on Self-Storage Units. The Unit he won had the 78 Custom in it. He went on to tell that he bid/won that Unit for a little over $1,000, maybe $1,200 for it's contents, but here was his listing price. He has that LP listed for $14,600.

Next, Just As Soon As I Could Catch My Breath, I sent him another reply, first telling him that
1: He needed to pop out the pickups & get pictures of the Pickups, the Mounting Plates, 2: Also look to see if anything is stamped or hand written inside the Pickup Cavities, and 3: While he was at it, he also needed to remove the Control Cavity Cover & get some Good Closeup Pictures of the Potentiometers and hopefully get a few closeup pictures showing the Date-Codes (Hopefully they're visible), then if so, add those pictures, and also enter any other information in the listing. His reply was, ''I wouldn't feel comfortable removing the screws, or removing the pickups and that since it's a 1978 & because it looks so good, that should be enough. (Actually, I'm hoping he was just pulling my leg with that answer lol)......

I told him that first off, pretty much anyone interested is gonna want to see those pictures, then I also said to him that I wasn't trying to burst his bubble, or try to get him pissed at me, I told him that unless his LP has a pedigree or something like ''My Name Is Pete Townshed & I Owned This Guitar'', he was way-too-high on the price. I suggested to check Reverb, but before that, Go To My-Les-Paul.com, (of course no dashes), Join the Forum, then start asking the folks here, because if anyone knows prices, and also for some good advise, it'll be on this Forum Period. Still don't know if he joined but I did check his listing about 3 weeks ago & he lowered the price to $14,100, so I'll go back there today & check to see what's going on with his auction. As much as he didn't wanna hear it, I sent another reply to him during that same time period & let him know that I had found about 6-7 1977-1979 LP Deluxe & Customs, with the most expensive at $7,000, with the lowest was at $5,400, but it didn't look that great....
Sold it to a Dutch broker a few years ago. Main reason was the weight:10.5 lbs. played it for 48 years but my back couldn’t stand that weight anymore. I made a few trades and finally found my holy grail (my avatar pic) CS R9 solid mahogany weighing only 8.25 lbs…!

Danmax

Reaction score
Sold it to a Dutch broker a few years ago. Main reason was the weight:10.5 lbs. played it for 48 years but my back couldn’t stand that weight anymore. I made a few trades and finally found my holy grail (my avatar pic) CS R9 solid mahogany weighing only 8.25 lbs…!
My 74 Les Paul is 10.7lbs, so I know what you mean. I can't standup with that one. Funny how 8 to 8 1/2lbs can make such a difference, which is where all my other Les Paul's weigh in at.